Washington Football Team Logo
Extremeskins

CBSNews.com: New Presidential Poll Numbers

GrimReefa

I'm not going to defend the CBS poll for two reasons. 1) I have no idea what they did with this weighted what not. 2) I already know that bush is not very popular in this country right now, and I don't need a poll to tell me that.

But this blogger guy does one thing that makes me angry. He attacks the poll because they didn't poll likely voters. To me that's asking a totally different question than asking all adults. It is more important especially as an indicator of future elections, but when determining an approval rating, wouldn't all adults be a reasonable thing to do?

I don't like the argument style where you assume the guy said something he never did and then you knock it down. CBS never claimed they were trying to predict the results of an election, why did that guy assume that?

Dear Morons,

http://www.pollingreport.com/BushJob.htm

Sincerely,

Intelligent Americans

I am really sick and tired of people from all parts of the political spectrum referring to honest Americans who disagree with them as "morons" or "idiots" or "imbeciles" or "lunatics."

Seriously, how hard would it have been to write something like this?

Hey, this is a pretty cool site that puts a lot of polls into context. You can see from it that the CBS numbers for approval of Bush are significantly lower than most of the other polls.

That alienates no one and reduces antagonism. Heck, you might even win some people over. Posting the way you did just ticks people off and makes them dig in their heels.

Key Word. CBS...doesnt get more liberal than that

Probably one of the biggest propanganda lies around. Don't you get that these networks are all owned by giant, money hungry corporations. They love the Republican tax policies. Let's see: CBS sold to Westinghouse in 1995 for $5.4 billion, Westinghouse/CBS bought Infinity Radio Broadcasting in 1996 for $4.7 billion and in 1999 bought King World (largest TV syndication company) for $2.5 billion/ GE in 1985 acquired NBC/ Disney in 1995 bought ABC/Capital Cities for $19 billion. Do you really believe that these corporations that control these news divisions are somehow "liberal." Get over that notion. It just isn't true.

I am really sick and tired of people from all parts of the political spectrum referring to honest Americans who disagree with them as "morons" or "idiots" or "imbeciles" or "lunatics."

Seriously, how hard would it have been to write something like this?

That alienates no one and reduces antagonism. Heck, you might even win some people over. Posting the way you did just ticks people off and makes them dig in their heels.

Moron....:D

Probably one of the biggest propanganda lies around. Don't you get that these networks are all owned by giant, money hungry corporations. They love the Republican tax policies. Let's see: CBS sold to Westinghouse in 1995 for $5.4 billion, Westinghouse/CBS bought Infinity Radio Broadcasting in 1996 for $4.7 billion and in 1999 bought King World (largest TV syndication company) for $2.5 billion/ GE in 1985 acquired NBC/ Disney in 1995 bought ABC/Capital Cities for $19 billion. Do you really believe that these corporations that control these news divisions are somehow "liberal." Get over that notion. It just isn't true.

I suspect that most people disagree with your assessment.

"A recent letter to the editor - by a liberal - took issue with the charge that the media are overwhelmingly liberal. He repeated several familiar canards. While conceding that "journalists lean toward being liberal," he argued that this is offset by the oversight and influence of editors and publishers who are "overwhelmingly conservative."

"To think that corporations that own the mainstream media are liberal is ludicrous," he indignantly asserted. Really?

The term "mainstream media" is a misnomer. "Dominant liberal establishment media" is more like it and drops the pretense that the liberal media reflect mainstream American opinion. They don't; they're well to the left of it. And editors come up through the same channels as reporters. They're of the same breed. They have the same populist, anti-establishment agenda and a poor understanding of business and economics. They're even more sensitive than reporters to the politics of the current newsroom obsession with liberal political correctness and "diversity." ....................

http://www.rockymountainnews.com/drmn/opinion_columnists/article/0,2777,DRMN_23972_4473480,00.html

But, there's another factor we haven't adjusted for: the percentage of Republicans, Democrats, and Independents who participated in the poll. In the 2004 election, the breakdown by party was as follows:

Democrats: 37%

Republicans: 37%

Independents: 26%

While those numbers can change and do change over time and there's no set rule that says for a poll to be fair those percentages should match up exactly with the breakdown from the last election, the numbers should be pretty close.

So, let's look at the weighted party breakdown from the CBS poll: 1018

Democrats: 37.4% (381)

Republicans: 28.4% (289)

Independents: 34.2% (348)

There's a huge flaw in this arguement. I'm pretty sure CBS didn't call up known Democrats, Republicans and Independents and ask them questions. They called up 1018 people at random. That a random sampling shows a shift from Republicans to Independents over the past two years isn't an indication of bias on the part of CBS.

More likely, it shows a shift of voter loyalty from the Republican party. Should CBS pollsters have hung up on everyone who claimed 'Independant' past respondent number 265? THAT would be a biased poll.

I suspect that most people disagree with your assessment.

"A recent letter to the editor - by a liberal - took issue with the charge that the media are overwhelmingly liberal. He repeated several familiar canards. While conceding that "journalists lean toward being liberal," he argued that this is offset by the oversight and influence of editors and publishers who are "overwhelmingly conservative."

"To think that corporations that own the mainstream media are liberal is ludicrous," he indignantly asserted. Really?

The term "mainstream media" is a misnomer. "Dominant liberal establishment media" is more like it and drops the pretense that the liberal media reflect mainstream American opinion. They don't; they're well to the left of it. And editors come up through the same channels as reporters. They're of the same breed. They have the same populist, anti-establishment agenda and a poor understanding of business and economics. They're even more sensitive than reporters to the politics of the current newsroom obsession with liberal political correctness and "diversity." ....................

http://www.rockymountainnews.com/drmn/opinion_columnists/article/0,2777,DRMN_23972_4473480,00.html

Actually, that study on editors and news presonalities is spot on, concise, and entirely significant.

Look at who is propogating the "liberal media" theory. FOX news and right wing Republican radio. They are smearing the mainstream media in an attempt to replace it with a Republican-controlled media. This way, they can control who you vote for and their bosses can sustain power.

Blows my mind how millions of Americans are willing to be so blatantly manipulated. Now every idiot who watches FOX news thinks he is an expert in media bias.

Actually, that study on editors and news presonalities is spot on, concise, and entirely significant.

Look at who is propogating the "liberal media" theory. FOX news and right wing Republican radio. They are smearing the mainstream media in an attempt to replace it with a Republican-controlled media. This way, they can control who you vote for and their bosses can sustain power.

Blows my mind how millions of Americans are willing to be so blatantly manipulated. Now every idiot who watches FOX news thinks he is an expert in media bias.

According to the theory that you claim is spot on, the media is already "controlled" by the conservatives.

According to the theory that you claim is spot on, the media is already "controlled" by the conservatives.

I would call that balanced, not controlled. Keep in mind they are allegedly balanced by liberal hosts and anchors. Controlled is a much stronger term that I reserve for FOX news and right wing radio. The difference being that those two media outlets literally take orders from high ranking Republicans like Karl Rove and the White House.

There's a huge flaw in this arguement. I'm pretty sure CBS didn't call up known Democrats, Republicans and Independents and ask them questions. They called up 1018 people at random. That a random sampling shows a shift from Republicans to Independents over the past two years isn't an indication of bias on the part of CBS.

More likely, it shows a shift of voter loyalty from the Republican party. Should CBS pollsters have hung up on everyone who claimed 'Independant' past respondent number 265? THAT would be a biased poll.

HUGE post. Thank you Henry.

what a D***. He's got to be the worst in history! I've only been alive for 3 of them, Bush Sr., Clinton, and Di*k head. I don't remember Bush sr. besides Clinton whooped his ass. Clinton made this country well off economy wise, and di*k head is just a di*k head!

Score one for the Bush hatin' members of this community!!!

My point was all polls in general are pointless and at best, speculation. I was referring to both exit polls and "conventional" polls as you define them. Not sure what makes certain polls "conventional" and others "unconventional" but regardless, you missed my point entirely.

You are utterly wrong about both conventional polls and exit polls. Exit polls are so notoriously accurate they are commonly used to prove election fraud.

We now know, for instance, that polls showing Gore the victor in Florida in 2000 were correct. His mistake was not to insist on a statewide recount. Already the 2004 election results has begun to tumble to the greater wisdom of the exit polls. Diebold machines have been banned in a number of states and have been shown to be easily hackable in Florida, where 57,000 black voters were illegally purged from the polls by Katherine Harris who is now facing corruption charges. The justice department has already brought election fraud charges for 2004 against Missouri and Ohio appears to be the next target, where it is believed over 100,000 votes were stolen in Cleveland alone. Most interestingly, the governor of Maryland, a Republican, has recently denounced the illegal and secret use of Diebold machines in his state-- in the belief that they have tarnished his victory.

That recent elections in Ohio were crooked are currently considered beyond dispute, even by diehard Republicans. Voting totals were next to impossible. Republican hackers fouled up the job to the extent that referendems ahead in the polls by 30 to 40 points ended up losing by thirty or forty points.

Crazyhorse:

http://www.cnn.com/SPECIALS/2001/florida.ballots/stories/main.html

Thats not true: The NY times sent reporters down there to count the ballots and it was proven Bush would have won...

Florida recount study: Bush still wins

Study reveals flaws in ballots, voter errors may have cost Gore victory

A county employee shows a ballot to a National Opinion Research Center coding team. The coders marked their observations on specially designed, triplicate coding forms. They were not allowed to confer.

WASHINGTON (CNN) -- A comprehensive study of the 2000 presidential election in Florida suggests that if the U.S. Supreme Court had allowed a statewide vote recount to proceed, Republican candidate George W. Bush would still have been elected president. The National Opinion Research Center (NORC) at the University of Chicago conducted the six-month study for a consortium of eight news media companies, including CNN.

NORC dispatched an army of trained investigators to examine closely every rejected ballot in all 67 Florida counties, including handwritten and punch-card ballots. The NORC team of coders were able to examine about 99 percent of them, but county officials were unable to deliver as many as 2,200 problem ballots to NORC investigators. In addition, the uncertainties of human judgment, combined with some counties' inability to produce the same undervotes and overvotes that they saw last year, create a margin of error that makes the study instructive but not definitive in its findings.

What? Katherine Harris purged 57k Black Voters? WRONG

http://www.thenation.com/doc/20040517/palast

November 2000 presidential election, Florida Secretary of State Katherine Harris, in coordination with Governor Jeb Bush, ordered local election supervisors to purge 57,700 voters from the registries, supposedly ex-cons not allowed to vote in Florida. At least 90.2 percent of those on this "scrub" list, targeted to lose their civil rights, are innocent. Notably, more than half--about 54 percent--are black or Hispanic

Doesnt that leave 46% of the 57k to be White/Asian/Artic?

30700 black hispanic not allowed to vote

26220 white/Asian/aboriginal not allowed to vote

Crazyhorse1 (Back 4 daysish now)

Good God Man: YOU SHOULD BE REQUIRED to post links to some of the outrageously false things that spew from your fingers...

Now i'll give you the Ohio voting seemed rather strange in the numbers per district: But i guess in 2002 they also stole all the votes again with ANOTHER SWEEP with/

By Debra Jasper

Columbus Enquirer Bureau

http://www.enquirer.com/editions/2002/11/06/loc_governor06.html

COLUMBUS - Gov. Bob Taft led what he called an "elephant stampede" of Republican candidates to crush their Democratic opponents and maintain a GOP lock on Ohio government.

Mr. Taft defeated Democrat Tim Hagan by an extraordinary 20 percentage points to win a second term. Mr. Taft's resounding win also made history because his running mate, Jennette Bradley of Columbus, will be the nation's first black female lieutenant governor.

How dare they keep stealin votes and let a (gasp) black women be a lieutenant governor (although I was shocked to find that out)...

darn republican racists...

Archived