Washington Football Team Logo
Extremeskins

Skins talking to the Jets about Abraham (Merged)

vegeta613

http://sports.espn.go.com/nfl/news/story?id=2346508

Multiple league sources said that the Jets have been offering Abraham in trade talks during the NFL scouting combine in Indianapolis, and have discussed potential scenarios with a number of teams. It is believed that the talks have not moved to the substantive stage with any suitors and that a deal is not imminent, but that the Jets' intention remains to deal Abraham, probably for a package of draft choices.

Among the several teams with whom the Jets have spoken in recent days are the Washington Redskins and the Denver Broncos

Washington, which was said to be enamored with Abraham a year ago, also needs a consistent upfield pass-rush threat. Although the Redskins had 35 sacks in 2005, the lack of a pass rusher means that inventive defensive coordinator Gregg Williams has to work that much harder to create sack opportunities. The only Redskins defensive lineman with more than four sacks last season was end Phillip Daniels, but six of his eight sacks came in the final three games, including a four-sack performance.

One problem shared by both Denver and Washington is the state of their respective salary caps. Both teams are squeezed by the spending limit and, like other franchises around the league, are reluctant to make any kind of move until the NFL's collective bargaining issues are resolved. Plus, since he is not under contract, Abraham cannot be dealt until he either signs the one-year qualifying offer or a long-term contract.

Your getting a All-Pro D-End for a quarterback who isn't really that good and talent in a draft whom we don't know if there a bust or not so i'll take a proven player over a draft pick. Plus with the addition of Abraham will meean double him and that frees up Griff,Daniels,Linebackers and Safeties to get to the quarterback so come on if the trade does happen we will score the most defensive tds in nfl history.

They're going to want Ramsey and our #2 I feel, and that to me is just retarded.

It's hard to figure exactly what the Jets would accept for Abraham. They'll certainly want a first round pick if they can get it. The Broncos have an extra first round pick thanks to the Jason Campbell trade so they would have a better shot at landing him.

It seems to me that, if the Jets really are interested in Ramsey, we would have to either give up our #2 this year OR our #1 next year in addition to Ramsey to get the Jets to bite.

I wouldn't do it but you know how Joe Gibbs is when he wants a player. He'll do what it takes.

Whoa... settle down guys. Abraham is a great talent..... but he's also been a thorn in the Jets side. He wants out... they want him out.... so his value is decreased. They're going to get what they can get for him but they've got to do something.... other NFL teams know this.

With their QB troubles.... maybe they see Ramsey as an immediate upgrade and potential solid starter. That's worth something to them.... and if they can jettison (aka trade) Abraham and get a QB with potential why not do it.

If we start giving up draft picks AND Ramsey for Abraham... we've lost our minds. They want him gone... they'll do whatever to make it happen.... and we've got something they think they like. They'll take what we offer, such as Ramsey and Betts (Talented... but oft-injured) or we move in another direction.

How about sending them Ramsey and Ladell? We have tons of depth and Curtis Martin is showing his age.

honestly i hate ladell betts, and somehow if we can push the jets in giving us abraham and maybe a 2nd or 3rd with the deal, this would be a sweet deal. they are plenty of great rbs in free agency this year and we could easily pick up 1

They're going to want Ramsey and our #2 I feel, and that to me is just retarded.

Definetely. I wouldn't mind seeing our #3 go however. The second round of the draft is still going to have some good talent at the WR position, we wouldnt have to worry about a DE if we got Abraham, and then we could work on our o-line depth after that in the latter rounds.

The main question though, is will the Jets be able to get who they are looking for in the 3rd round?

To my mind, the perfect deal would be Brunell, Betts, and a third rounder for Abraham, with maybe any of our receivers but Moss thrown in.

Brunell will not make it through next year and will cost us 5 million and Betts is an injury waiting to happen; also, offering the jets any of our receivers but Moss may sucker the jets into a lust for Patten or the notion that Taylor might make it after all. The third rounder is there just to sweeten the Pot.

Ramsey can start for us. If he fails, in goes Campbell; or the other way around. I don't care. I just don't want to see Brunell's inevitable fade. Randel El is bought with our savings from salaries from trades and other cuts.

We're got our DE, WR, and Third String QB/kR (Randle EL) and pick up a TE in the draft. Nemo or Rock replaces Betts.

We've got what we lack and the key to it all is dumping Brunell. Send your cards and letters to Redskin Park.

Your getting a All-Pro D-End for a quarterback who isn't really that good and talent in a draft whom we don't know if there a bust or not so i'll take a proven player over a draft pick. Plus with the addition of Abraham will meean double him and that frees up Griff,Daniels,Linebackers and Safeties to get to the quarterback so come on if the trade does happen we will score the most defensive tds in nfl history.

Ramsey still has a lot of potential to be a great QB in this league. He is light-years away from what the Jets have seen at that position since Namath. We need to learn how to scout and build through the draft, or we will not ever be the complete team that will dominate like we want to be; atleast we won't be for more than a season.

Archived