Washington Football Team Logo
Extremeskins

Fatbelly on the Ramsey trade...

AKM311

Did he give Patrick the same chance he gave Mark a season ago when Brunell was playing far worse than Ramsey was in the preseason? No.

Sorry, but Brunell outplayed Ramsey in both preseasons. Yes, Brunell didn't look that great in the 2004 preseason, but Ramsey looked completely lost out there, not to mention that he wasn't completely healthy.

Ramsey had his chances under Gibbs, and he's just run out of time.

As for Pastabelly, I laugh at his alternatives. With the possible exception of Griese, the guys available, if they are on the open market, aren't going to be as valuable as Ramsey, because they will be damaged goods.

Jason

last season, there was only 1 team interested, the Jets

now we know of at least 2 teams, the same jets and 'phins

You have that backwards...the Phins were the ones interested last season. They offered a second before they traded for Feeley. Pennington was healthy last season, and they signed Fiedler...I don't think the Jets were interested last season (unless I missed something...)

You have that backwards...the Phins were the ones interested last season. They offered a second before they traded for Feeley. Pennington was healthy last season, and they signed Fiedler...I don't think the Jets were interested last season (unless I missed something...)

:no: The 'phin traded for feely 3 yrs ago.

Ramsey was the supposed starter, but replaced after game 1, the Jets lost Pennington & Fiedler... and were inerested in PR

this off season the Skins have had serious interest from the Jets & Dolphins

and feelers from a couple other teams

If you can't see that the Ramsey situation was poorly handled by Gibbs you need to remove the burgundy colored glasses and take a step back.

Brunell blows the first 10 games of 2004 and Gibbs hangs with him. Ramsey blows 1 quarter of 2005 against a tough defense and Ramsey is ganked quicker than no other. If that's the "fair shot" that Ramsey was supposed to get, I hope I never work for Joe Gibbs and hear that I will get a "fair shot" at succeeding.

As for Ramsey's value, everyone in here who thinks Ramsey has never proven himself also seem to think he's worth a high draft pick. Ramsey is as much damaged goods as every other QB on the market. The other 4 have injury issues, while Ramsey has "show me" issues. The difference between them is that the other 4 have shown they can play, and 3 of them won't cost ANY draft picks.

If Gibbs can't get the value out of Ramsey he wants, I hope he does the right thing and hangs on to him. Flat out releasing him or taking a 4th/5th rounder will just be the icing on the cake that was this catastrophe...

TheSchwartz

If you can't see that the Ramsey situation was poorly handled by Gibbs you need to remove the burgundy colored glasses and take a step back.

Other points aside, here's one thing brickskulls don't seem to get on this topic: There are people, like me, who don't give a rats azz about these lame concepts of colored classes, or Gibbs being Jesus, or this other stupid drivel that gets thrown out as an explanation for why there's disagreement.

That's the same kind of pap as saying Ramsey boosters just wanna hop Pat's jock in a fit of rampant man-love that you just can't let go of. It's way lame.

Speaking for myself, but believing many others here feel the same, that kind of moronic and dismissive BS has nothing at all to do with my opinion on the matter.

Brunell blows the first 10 games of 2004 and Gibbs hangs with him. Ramsey blows 1 quarter of 2005 against a tough defense and Ramsey is ganked quicker than no other. If that's the "fair shot" that Ramsey was supposed to get, I hope I never work for Joe Gibbs and hear that I will get a "fair shot" at succeeding.

A lot could be discussed to put an intelligent context around your first generalization/statement, but that's ok. Brunell was bad and that's all we need for now.

As has been repeated ad infintum, but still failing to penetrate the concrete cortexes, there are those who openly or by implication dismiss all the OTA's, practices, and pre-season games as "not counting" in terms of a coach(es) evaluating performance and maybe even making new decisions about who's going to start :rolleyes: That was the time when virtually every scribe covering the 'skins spoke with one voice wondering how Gibbs could possibly justify starting Pat since he looked awful compared to Brunell, and there wasn't even any starter-role team-heritage to protect with PR (ala Favre for example).

Then, there are others like me who count ALL of Pat's history, including that time as part of "that there chance thingy" for Pat to show his stuff after being given the starter role for his just ok (but better than Brunell then) 2004 wrap-up.

Joe, by rights of what most everyone was seeing, could have just never let Pat start against Chicago AT THAT POINTand be justifed. Mark was looking way better and had done so THE WHOLE OFF-SEASON :laugh: For some buisness people, that's called Pat pizzing his chance away right in front of the boss during the soft time.

But Joe started him, maybe hoping the "real thing" would turn him around, I dunno, but f' that--he immediately tanked! So try to get it through your head: that's where there's disagreement about whether Pat got a "chance" or not. Disagree we will, but at least get it right as to why. It has jack to do with that dumb crap thrown out about colored glasses or Lord Joe. :rolleyes:

We also disagree on Ramsey being only a victim of horrible misfortune his whole time here, even before Gibbs. I think he had to deal with a lot of BS with Spurrier, but I watched his play carefully back then, I was a fan of his too--hoping he was The One. But he often waffled bad back then, all on his own, God love him. It was the same old up and down. He has to share some repsonsibility for not rising to the challenge and claiming his place on the team. He had lots of times on the field, it wasn't all just a pointlessly hopeless lack of opportunity for Pat pre-Gibbs.

Like I said before, I hope Pat does well, I hope this was just the wrong place & time. But regardless of that, these are some of the real reasons such disagreements exist.

What if we did trade him last year, and Brunell got hurt? Then you would have said were idiots for not having a solid backup. I thought not trading Ramsey was the smartest thing we did in a long time. We finally understand that the depth is just as important as the starters.

Now we can trade Ramsey because Campbell seems ready to play, according to Gibbs.

Me too. We were set pretty well last year at QB. I'll be concerned if we go into this yr w/ Campbell as our #2..............but we probably have to.

Horrible team management. They should have dealt him away last year before/during the draft.

Exactly, Mark Brunell played like a pro-bowler last year and there were already experienced back-ups to play for the Redskins this year. Oh wait.

I find it funny that Lenny says it's "the worst kept secret" when Joe Gibbs went on national TV talking about the trade before Pasquarelli's article came out. Other "secrets" Lenny has scooped lately include tomorrow's weather and the price of a bucket of the Colonel's Original Recipe.

I just don't get all the Ramsey love. Don't get me wrong, he's a great kid with a huge heart, but his game is so limited.

He has a great arm, but he doesn't throw the deep ball well at all.

He can't throw with any touch. Kudos to him for trying to do it in preseason, but we all saw the scary results.

He has no poise or pocket presence. He just doesn't seem to have the football instincts you need to be a good qb in this league.

The book on him is so simple: blitz him and will he panic and crumble.

Could he get better? Sure. Is he easy to root for? Hell yeah. But it's time for him to move on. A healthy Brunell probably still gives us the best chance to win and Campbell has way more upside than Ramsey -- that much was clear every time he calmly dropped back in preseason.

With the other "proven" starters now in the market its going to be hard to get good value for Ramsey. Lenny's article on espn was actually pretty much on point. Last offseason was our best chance to get good value for Pat. The way that Gibbs has handled the QB situation has been questionable at best. Yeah we got good results out of Mark for 2/3 of the season, but its also very obvious that he faded seriously over the last half of the season.

Let's us this part of this post and explain why Mark struggled the last part of the season. You lose your best offensive line who is having a pro-bowl season. This takes away from the running game. You have no 2nd receiver because the guy you brought in for this went down with a season ending knee injury. Then he had some injuries but fought his brains out to play and keep the team going.

:point2sky :dallasuck :helmet:

Stop the sniveling.

Ramsey still received a salary and just like 50/50 will be given a chance to work a deal to move on.

Exactly what has Trent Green Done?

I just don't recall him leading a team to a superbowl victory which is the bottomline isn't it?

In Two years time we are in the playoffs and if key players remained healthy we would have faced the Steelers instead of Seattle.

Yet people just recently getting on the bandwagon expect Joe Gibbus Maximus to just accept what was in place when he showed up instead of moving to upgrade what he perceives to be weaknesses.

Archived