Washington Football Team Logo
Extremeskins

Fatbelly on the Ramsey trade...

AKM311

but its the truth. Ramsey got the shaft here and I hope he goes on to be a really good QB. We should have traded him last year.

What if we did trade him last year, and Brunell got hurt? Then you would have said were idiots for not having a solid backup. I thought not trading Ramsey was the smartest thing we did in a long time. We finally understand that the depth is just as important as the starters.

Now we can trade Ramsey because Campbell seems ready to play, according to Gibbs.

What if we did trade him last year, and Brunell got hurt? Then you would have said were idiots for not having a solid backup. I thought not trading Ramsey was the smartest thing we did in a long time. We finally understand that the depth is just as important as the starters.

Now we can trade Ramsey because Campbell seems ready to play, according to Gibbs.

I agree depth is important, but Ramsey got the shaft. Gibbs never wanted him to start and he shouldn't have ever started him. I feel bad for Ramsey and thought the situation was handled very badly.

Again, I hope he goes on to prosper.

Nicely put, depth is the key! I would be happy to have him for the remainder of his contract, but a blockbuster trade would be nice as well.

I agree depth is important, but Ramsey got the shaft. Gibbs never wanted him to start and he shouldn't have ever started him. I feel bad for Ramsey and thought the situation was handled very badly.

Again, I hope he goes on to prosper.

I guess I think differently. I wanted Ramsey to start, but I trust Gibbs. I think he handled it perfectly. Every other coach would have traded him out of force. But we held him for a playoff run, WHICH WE DID MAKE! Now if we can get a trade for him, like a 3rd rounder, then we didnt lose much at all! Considering we had a very solid QB as a backup, all year last year. That counts for something as far as value goes.

"I agree depth is important, but Ramsey got the shaft."

hey...where can I go to sit on my arse and collect big bucks while "getting the shaft"!!!

Its not about money. He got the shaft big time. First he's a starter, gets the crap beat of of him. Then comes in another coach, who tells him he will compete for a job, then Brunell gets signed for a gazillion dollars so the writing is on the wall. He goes back to the bench. Then when Brunell falls on his face, he gets to play the last few games, and actually looks alright. Then is told that he will compete again for the starting job and the coach mortgages the future on a QB in the draft. Then gets closelined in the first game and never comes back in.

I don't consider that a fair shot. Ramsey will be another Trent Green. I'm not saying he will be great, but he will go to another team and be a borderline pro bowler.

He got the shaft big time...

I don't consider that a fair shot. Ramsey will be another Trent Green. I'm not saying he will be great, but he will go to another team and be a borderline pro bowler.

Based on what? I wish the best in the world him, but what has he shown? And should Gibbs have stuck with him last year if he felt Brunell gave us the best chance to win? So out of a "fair shot" lets say he stuck with Ramsey, we missed the playoffs b/c Ramsey finally proved for real that he's not a starting QB. Then what would you say.

For Patrick's sake, I agree the whole thing could have been handled better. But GIbbs has a responsibility to his owner, the rest of the team, the fans, etc. to win games. And to make decisions based on how to best win games. Gibbs clearly thought we needed QB depth beyond Campbell, and that Ramsey did not give us the chance to win enough games.

Maybe he does go on to win lots of games somewhere else. Maybe not. Personally, I think comparisons to Trent Green are a bit of a stretch considering what I have and have not seen. Last year, Pat had the chance to go into training camp, establish himself as the undisputed starter, and lead this team. He was unable to do that; if he had amazed the coaches, Gibbs might have put Brunell in after Ramsey's clothesline for cautionary reasons, and then given Ramsey back the starting position in Dallas. Didn't happen.

I like Ramsey as a person, but he has no shown enough to warrant the amount of concern I hear from people.

Its not about money. He got the shaft big time. First he's a starter, gets the crap beat of of him. Then comes in another coach, who tells him he will compete for a job, then Brunell gets signed for a gazillion dollars so the writing is on the wall. He goes back to the bench. Then when Brunell falls on his face, he gets to play the last few games, and actually looks alright. Then is told that he will compete again for the starting job and the coach mortgages the future on a QB in the draft. Then gets closelined in the first game and never comes back in.

Exactly, from an outsider's view, Ramsey was never given a chance, even when they put him on the field. Hell, his first 2 years he started he had to compete for playing time with Tony Banks and Shane Matthews and Danny Wuerffel? You don't sit a first round pick for Tony Banks. He was drafted as the future of our team at quarterback. You put him in the games, we're gonna lose with Tony Banks, anyways. Then Joe Gibbs comes in and signs Mark Brunell to a contract that made most of us puke on our Officially Liscenced Ramsey Jerseys. Brunell falls flat on his face for over half the season, looking...not much better than Tony Banks or Danny Wuerffel. When we're about to riot, Gibbs decides that he'd rather not be lynched by fans, so he puts in Ramsey, who plays remarkably well considering he'd started a whopping 14 games to that point in almost 3 years, and we had high hope for the future.

Through Brunell, Gibbs made us realize that he didn't want a young, mistake-prone QB to lead his offense. We could accept that. And we saw that Patrick wasn't quite the Vet that Gibbs wanted, but that he would probably become that QB by some point next year. We had our QB who was close to where Gibbs wanted him, he had a happily highly paid Brunell to help Ramsey when he needed guidance, all was well. Then the trade, into the 1st round, I cringed when I heard Tagliabue on that podium. ...pick in the Draft has been traded to the Washington Redskins...and that's when I knew the rumor was true, that the Skins were trading away future drafts to take a 1st round QB. Why? So Gibbs, in an attempt to keep the fans and his super-star back-up QB appeased there was an "open competition" for the QB spot, but Gibbs knew what he was doing all along, he'd give the job to Ramsey, and as soon as he slipped, in goes mark. So ramsey gets clotheslined in his first game, and gets benched, and in plods the old man, who continued to throw balls into the dirt and away from his recievers all year long. All year long. The only difference is that Santana Moss is able to adjust to where the ball is, anywhere within about a 50 yard radius of himself, it seems.

So now we are sending yet another quality quarterback to another team, another Trent Green gone, another Brad Johnson, gone.

Why doesnt Ramsey just pull a TO. Like how owens got out of his contract in san fran and eventually became an eagle. Isnt there a way Ramsey can file some sort of grievence to get out of DC.

He's getting paid to sit on the bench, doesn't sound like much of a grievence.

Exactly, from an outsider's view, Ramsey was never given a chance, even when they put him on the field. Hell, his first 2 years he started he had to compete for playing time with Tony Banks and Shane Matthews and Danny Wuerffel? You don't sit a first round pick for Tony Banks. He was drafted as the future of our team at quarterback. You put him in the games, we're gonna lose with Tony Banks, anyways.

Banks was nowhere near being in the picture when Ramsey was drafted. He wasn't sat for Banks. He was sat for Matthews & Wuerffel.

but its the truth. Ramsey got the shaft here and I hope he goes on to be a really good QB. We should have traded him last year.

You would have traded Ramsey after the season Brunell had in 2004 also factoring in Brunell's recent injury record down the stretch?

That would have been a tough sell.

With the other "proven" starters now in the market its going to be hard to get good value for Ramsey. Lenny's article on espn was actually pretty much on point. Last offseason was our best chance to get good value for Pat. The way that Gibbs has handled the QB situation has been questionable at best. Yeah we got good results out of Mark for 2/3 of the season, but its also very obvious that he faded seriously over the last half of the season. Gibbs reluctance to put Patrick in, eventhough his starter was struggling says that he had not faith in Pat which told the rest of the league that Pat had no future here. So all they have to do is wait out his eventual release.

Sadly for the Redskins it uncovers a fact of life that many are still not willing to see. Joe Gibbs does not play young QB's. For all of you predicting that Campbell will play soon, forget it. We're stuck with Brunnell, good or bad. For the same reason that Ramsey has not played, Jason will be forced to sit on the bench and not play through the mistakes that young QB's make. Before your eye's ladies and gent's Joe Gibbs has turned into George Allen.

The part of the article that perplexes me is why Lenny thinks the Skins boggled the situation last year. If I remember right the Skins made the playoffs, Lenny does realize this is a team game and that not every QB on every roster can be the starter doesn't he?

Another interestingly silly thing in the article is that he states that $1.667 million is viewed as a viable option by some teams for a QB they view as a starter!!!! $1.667 mil is a number your lucky to be paying the back-up, what is he talking about here?

The part of the article that perplexes me is why Lenny thinks the Skins boggled the situation last year. If I remember right the Skins made the playoffs, Lenny does realize this is a team game and that not every QB on every roster can be the starter doesn't he?

Another interestingly silly thing in the article is that he states that $1.667 million is viewed as a viable option by some teams for a QB they view as a starter!!!! $1.667 mil is a number your lucky to be paying the back-up, what is he talking about here?

From what I can see after reading many of Lenny's articles is that he is a bitter, angry, vengeful, lonley, fat man.

Based on what? I wish the best in the world him, but what has he shown? And should Gibbs have stuck with him last year if he felt Brunell gave us the best chance to win? So out of a "fair shot" lets say he stuck with Ramsey, we missed the playoffs b/c Ramsey finally proved for real that he's not a starting QB. Then what would you say.

For Patrick's sake, I agree the whole thing could have been handled better. But GIbbs has a responsibility to his owner, the rest of the team, the fans, etc. to win games. And to make decisions based on how to best win games. Gibbs clearly thought we needed QB depth beyond Campbell, and that Ramsey did not give us the chance to win enough games.

Maybe he does go on to win lots of games somewhere else. Maybe not. Personally, I think comparisons to Trent Green are a bit of a stretch considering what I have and have not seen. Last year, Pat had the chance to go into training camp, establish himself as the undisputed starter, and lead this team. He was unable to do that; if he had amazed the coaches, Gibbs might have put Brunell in after Ramsey's clothesline for cautionary reasons, and then given Ramsey back the starting position in Dallas. Didn't happen.

I like Ramsey as a person, but he has no shown enough to warrant the amount of concern I hear from people.

I am incredibly tired of hearing the question, "What has Ramsay shown?"

Here's what:

Lifetime QB rating: 75 on teams with horrible protection and bad receivers

In the equivalent of 21 games: 34 touchdown passes

Points on board per game: 20 plus (I'm working on exact stat)

QB rating last season: 95 ( 160 in playoffs)

Won-Lost record on horrible teams: 10-14 (Redskin best over 4 yr period)

In comparison with John Elway's first 4 years

Yards per game

Ramsay 201 Elway 212

Archived