Washington Football Team Logo
Extremeskins

Jets DE Abraham, "It's time to move on."

#1SkinsFan

Jets | Abraham says it is time to move on

Sun, 26 Feb 2006 06:58:12 -0800

Steve Serby, of the New York Post, reports New York Jets franchised DE John Abraham is more than ready to leave the Jets. "I don't think they really respect me as a player," Abraham told The Post yesterday in his first public remarks since being slapped with the $8.3 million franchise tag. "I feel I overstayed my welcome in New York. It's time to move on." What particularly irks Abraham is the silent treatment he's gotten from the Jets. "Their communication was really bad with me throughout the whole year," he said. There are rumblings that new head coach Eric Mangini and general manager Mike Tannenbaum will explore trading Abraham between now and the April 29 NFL Draft. Abraham has yet to sign the $8.3 franchise tender. Asked if he plans on signing it, Abraham said: "I'm not sure. It's according to what they're going to do. No one from that organization has called me personally."

So Abraham wants to leave, and the Jets are still trying to trade to get Ramsey from us.

Jets | Team still trying to trade for Ramsey

Sun, 26 Feb 2006 06:56:59 -0800

The New York Daily News reports the New York Jets are still working on a trade with the Washington Redskins for QB Patrick Ramsey.

Sounds like the perfect match for me. We trade Ramsey to the Jets for Abraham straight up. Or Ramsey and a 3rd or 4th to the Jets for Abraham.

Perfect!

It's pretty evident, that a Ramsey for Abraham sort of deal is in the works. Here are the clues I am seeing:

1) Skins cannot afford Abe until a new CBA is done. So we aren't pulling the trigger unless the CBA gets done soon.

2) We could easily just take a draft pick now, and save the space with no problems with or without the CBA.

3) The Jets are also seeing if Pennington will take a pay cut or not before they make there move.

So my thoughts are, if the Jets and Skins were just doing a Ramsey for draft pick deal, it would have been done by now. But were not, Abraham is in the works, and unless the CBA doesn't get done, Abe will be a Skin. Not saying I want him, but thats my thoughts.

The problem is, Abe has proven he is a starting DE in this league. Ramsey hasn't proven squat!

I don't know about that.

Ramsey right now is better than any QB the Jets currently have and that includes Pennington. We know Ramsey can take a hit and not shatter into a hundred pieces like Chad so that's an automatic upgrade for them.

a startng QB value > a starting DE value

Abraham and a 2nd rounder, might be worth Ramsey

We would be hard-pressed to find a suitor for Ramsey that would be willing to give up a 2nd rounder alone, let alone a stud defensive end and a 2nd round pick.

Look at it this way: the Jets could easily get a 3rd rounder for Abraham, and likely a 2nd rounder +. If we were offered a 3rd rounder for Ramsey, I am pretty sure we would be ecstatic.

I don't know about that.

Ramsey right now is better than any QB the Jets currently have and that includes Pennington. We know Ramsey can take a hit and not shatter into a hundred pieces like Chad so that's an automatic upgrade for them.

Exactly, and with the Jets not knowing if they are going to keep Pennington or not, this would definetly make things easier for them.

I don't know about that.

Well im not saying Ramsey can"t be better than Chad, im saying he hasn't proven he can. Also there are alot of QBs out there who can be just as good. If we can do Ramsey for Chad straight up, thats good enough.

It's pretty evident, that a Ramsey for Abraham sort of deal is in the works. Here are the clues I am seeing:

1) Skins cannot afford Abe until a new CBA is done. So we aren't pulling the trigger unless the CBA gets done soon.

2) We could easily just take a draft pick now, and save the space with no problems with or without the CBA.

3) The Jets are also seeing if Pennington will take a pay cut or not before they make there move.

So my thoughts are, if the Jets and Skins were just doing a Ramsey for draft pick deal, it would have been done by now. But were not, Abraham is in the works, and unless the CBA doesn't get done, Abe will be a Skin. Not saying I want him, but thats my thoughts.

Thanks for the excellent post! It's hard to find intelligent thinking on this board anymore. :applause:

a startng QB value > a starting DE value

Depends on who you're talking about. Abrahams considered a top flight DE in a market that's thin with players of his caliber.

Ramsey's a serviceable QB in a market that looks to be rich in players of his caliber or better.

I think Abrahams value is higher then Ramsey's.

Abe would be good to have here, and I think it's best for Ramsey to move on, but I'm not sure that the trade will work out. Abe is going to want a big chunk of change (more than what we're paying Ramsey right now, anyway), and the team can't afford it. I think that Ramsey and a mid-round pick for Abe is a good deal, but money is going to be our biggest problem. Our D-Line is very expensive right now as it is.

Archived