Washington Football Team Logo
Extremeskins

snyder sacrificing 2006 to get an uncapped 2007 ???

shallyshal

Some very thought provoking posts in this thread. Indeed I have been thinking about and agree with a lot of the points made by ShallyShal and Navy Dave. I'll add a few thoughts to the discussion.

First, I'd say it's very likely that Snyder and some other owners are considering the possibility of losing the cap. I'd even say that I could believe that Snyder and some other owners could be trying to achieve exactly that. If I was Snyder, the idea of no longer sharing my revenues, and not having to abide by a salary cap in '07 and beyond would definitely be worth having to lose some players in 2006. Also, I think it is very likely that Upshaw and Shallyshal are correct in saying that once the cap is gone, it won't be back. There has got to be at least 8 other teams that would prefer to keep their own money, and spend it how they choose. Housto, Philly, NE, Oakland, both New York teams, Miami, Chicago, and San Fran would all probably be better off.

Second, I personally would not shed a tear if we had to lose a couple of high price vets this year, if it meant no cap in '07 and beyond. Even if the team regressed a bit this season, I would really enjoy wathcing the best coaching staff in the NFL develop young players like Campbell, Taylor, Rogers, Cooley, and whatever guys we draft this year and next. I know Brunell took us to the playoffs last year, but like one poster said, I can't see him taking us to the big dance next season, no matter what happens with the cap.

Third, before the cap, small market teams like Pitt, Buffalo and Cincy made the playoffs, and even the superbowl on a regular basis. Yes the dynasty teams like Wash, Dallas, and San Fran had an advantage, but there was, and still is plenty enough money in even the smallest markets to field a good team if the team is well managed and well coached. Funny how winning games will bring fans out of the woodwork in even the smallest markets.

Ultimately, I still think the deal will get done at the last minute. I think the so called "poor teams" will fold and take whatever they can get in revenue sharing. If they don't, things will get much harder for them in the fututre. If it doesn't happen though, I think it could be good for the Skins in the long run.

When I read threads like this, I sometimes get the feeling that a majority of the Redskins fan base doesn't feel like they can compete year to year unless there wasn't a cap and there was an advantage to the team with the most revenue.

What is the matter? Why are you afraid to venture forward with Gibbs and company in the current NFL where everyone is on equal footing regarding the opportunity to add players?

As long as you've been hanging around here you still don't get it. We think we're in good shape no matter what happens with the cba and the cap. We've got the best ownership and coaching staff in the league, an we've got the revenues to go along with them. Success is inevitable.

a strange thought just occurred to me.. do any of you out there think, as i am starting to think, that snyder and a couple of other owners are digging their heels in fully knowing that they will suffer some in 2006, so that they can get an uncapped year in 2007 ??

now before you go off thinking i am totally off my rocker, follow this thought process just a little longer.

i hope, as do most of you, that based upon past performances in 2006 this is a team that has a legitimate shot at a deep playoff runin 2006. maybe it does if everything falls into place and we have a terrific draft. but there are some facts to consider:

this is a team that will for certain be in transition at the qb spot, and that will determine the ultimate fate of the team. who amongst us feels that brunell has enough left to make it through a season without flaming out again? can anybody feel that campbell is really ready to take the team deep into the playoffs? ramsey is in all likelihood gone, so we are left with extremes at qb... too old and too young.. teams do not get to the superbowl that way.

what happens if the skins take it in the shorts because of cap hits this year and have to play a lot of rookies and younger players? short term pain, and probable long term gains as these guys learn the nfl game. campbell gets a year to learn as a starter. add in this years draft and next years draft plus the real gem, an uncapped 2007, and this team should be peaking for a title run in 2007.

can you imagine what next off season would be like with snyders millions being fully available? don't think for a second that snyder doesn't think about it all the time.

far fetched ?? yup... but is it more far fetched than snyder and other rich owners being willing to let the "poorer" owners take millions of dollars fromhis profitable franchise. he has debt service and he does not have a sweetheart stadium deal as some other poorer owners (tom benson, saints)

have. it is going to be a really hard sell to convince owners that a poor team like pittsburgh cannot be competitive any longer. that is a pile of BS and everyone knows it.. snyder didn't get his billion dollars by allowing folks to pick his pockets. i do not think he and jerry jones will let it happen.

short term possible pain for a chance of becoming the new york yankees of the nfl. don't think for an instant that subject has been chewed on for a long timer at redskin park. how about you all out there, would you trade a disappointing 2006 for a chance to become a perpetual playoff team ??

the nfl has been a model for other sports leagues but they are at a watershed moment with the cba negotiations. it is not as simple as some would have us believe. there are big monies and bigger egos involved in this.. nothing would surprise me

Archived