Washington Football Team Logo
Extremeskins

Help sponsor a youth football team!

Die Hard

Hey guys,

Some of you may know I coach a youth football team (7-11 year olds). I essentially took over the "Bad News Bears" of the league - the team hasn't won a game in over 5 years. The team is comprised of children with personal struggles (ie. single-parent families) from the less affluent part of Hamilton; Hamilton has the ninth largest population (504,000) of all Canadian cities and the fourth largest in Ontario.

The cost of registration is $210 and included in that fee is the rental of all the equipment. However, as you'd expect, the equipment is old and in disrepair. The league gives us 3 footballs, 2 blocking shields and a tackling dummy. That's it.

I've been working my butt off trying to give these kids the best experience possible. I've even built a website for the kids: www.hmfarenegades.com (not operational yet).

I paid over $2000 out of pocket for of additional football supplies (ie. more balls, bags, white board, pylons, first aid kits, blocking shields, tackling dummies, etc).

Last year, we fundraised and managed to buy new chin straps, game socks and 20 pairs of shoulder pads. We have a roster of 34 kids. We still have 14 more pairs of shoulder pads to purchase... 34 new helmets and we want to get some new game pants. We want to use last year's game pants as our practice pants.... because all the practice pants were torn to shreds and usless - and kids were wearing game pants to practice.

I got rid of all the malcontent/ungrateful parents so I have a great group of kids now as the foundation. I want to build this program into something the players, parents and league could be proud of. We're getting there... we're probably 2 more years away but with some generosity we might achieve our goal this year.

If people are willing... I could really use the help of "donations" or "sponsorships". I will even provide tax receipts to all those who donate.

I would put the donations towards the purchase of these pants:

http://www.sportsdepot.com/fbpants.html

I can get them from www.footballamerica.com for $34.99/pair. I need 34 pairs. The total would be $1190 plus shipping and custom duties. If ExtremeSkins manages to raise the entire expense, I will put a sewn on ExtremeSkins logo on the pants (the pants are black, as is the team color).

Any amount would be greatly appreciated. If you are interested in donating.... please send me a PM. We can work out a payment method.

Thanks for any support!!!

DH put me down for 5 pairs, PM with your address. And tell the kid that wears #86 he has a friend in St. Pete ;) btw my son's mother was born in Hamilton.

That'll likely be a WR or TE.... but absolutely :) I'm going to be posting updates, images and video.... I'm really pumped about this season. We've got a heavy fundraising schedule this year.... because I want the kids and parents to invest in the program as much as I have. And I let them know I'm digging deep into the well and using all my resources to help these kids... and I've let them know they're getting some great support from ExtremeSkins.

And with the addition of Jesse Lumsden.. I'm hopefull we're get some long-term Redskins fans :laugh:

If you still speak with your son's mother... she may appreciate the circumstances of the "north end" (ie. downtown). Hamilton is a blue-collar town.... relying heavily on Dofasco (steel mill) for employment. Reminds you of Pittsburgh... same football colors.

I've never lived in Hamilton... but I had been a few times for other reasons. I used to say "Hamilton was the armpit of Ontario".... and now I make 4 trips there a week (because of football) and might move there when I'm done school - starting to build some roots. Who knows.

Thanks for your genorisity Dean. It'll be nice to see the kids all looking spiffy in their new digs... feeling good about themselves. Watching their parents feel proud.... and then watching the parents of other kids on other teams wonder what "happened" to the old Alouettes :) I've always been a sucker for reclamation projects.... even in video games.

Hey DieHard, you should use all the donations people pledged preseason that were never collected.

Hey Chuck,

I actually did offer the option to people within the thread:

http://www.extremeskins.com/forums/showpost.php?p=2241346&postcount=237

Obviously, people aren't obligated to. Given the fact that ANY reason other than the original reason why people placed the bet.... changes the obligation of the people who originally made the bet. But it's there... thanks for the suggestion though :)

As the fund raising goes on let us know how its going, in case we need to push you over the top at the end. :) You need one of those thermometers that goes from zero to your goal. That way everyone knows where you stand with the effort.

Absolutely. I'll give it a week or two for any checks to come in.. and I'll keep people posted.

Yeah it is and now I feel like a schlub, even though I just don't have the $$ free to do it....

Life circumstances are what they are. No need to apologize for it or feel bad about it.

I'm a full-time student now... will be for another 1.5 years. My wife is on maternity leave (60% of full-time pay) until August. Even when she's back... still living on 1 income. And we have a 5-month old. It isn't a great situation... but we get by. And we're happy :)

And once I'm done school and making a decent income... I'm going to return all these wonderful favors. I can't express how grateful I am.

DH put me down for 5 pairs, PM with your address. And tell the kid that wears #86 he has a friend in St. Pete ;) btw my son's mother was born in Hamilton.

I wanted to say thank you to all you wonderful, generous people. I am a parent of 2 of the kids on this team and also the Team Fundraising Co-ordinator. We live out of the area for this team and were put there as the team we were suppose to be on was full. We have now CHOSEN to stay with the Alouettes/Renegades due to the effort and dedication that Diehard has put into this program. I am overwhelmed by the generosity of the people on this site to help these kids feel like they are a part of something great and will no longer be considered "The Bad News Bears". Diehard deserves a huge truckload of gratitude from all players and parents for the amount of time, effort, dedication and sleepless nights he has put into this program. So from a parent of these kids... THANK YOU.. (even though thanks doesn't seem sufficient enough).. if you're ever in Hamilton make sure to drop by and see our kids play!!

I wanted to say thank you to all you wonderful, generous people. I am a parent of 2 of the kids on this team and also the Team Fundraising Co-ordinator. We live out of the area for this team and were put there as the team we were suppose to be on was full. We have now CHOSEN to stay with the Alouettes/Renegades due to the effort and dedication that Diehard has put into this program. I am overwhelmed by the generosity of the people on this site to help these kids feel like they are a part of something great and will no longer be considered "The Bad News Bears". Diehard deserves a huge truckload of gratitude from all players and parents for the amount of time, effort, dedication and sleepless nights he has put into this program. So from a parent of these kids... THANK YOU.. (even though thanks doesn't seem sufficient enough).. if you're ever in Hamilton make sure to drop by and see our kids play!!

:applause: :applause: Great first post! Welcome aboard.

Diehard is promissing us pics and video, which we will hold him to. Looking forward to seeing the kids play, good luck maybe they'll go all the way.

Thanks for stopping in and sharing your story. Good luck this season!!!

Hi DH, Glad to see you getting some repsonse. I run run a Youth soccer club in England for 5-18's, so know how hard it is to raise funds.

I am willing to contribute for 2 pairs of pants. Can you let me know the best way, cheque,paypal etc. I have relatives in Ottawa, and will be over later in the year, might even try and meet with you.

Hi DH, Glad to see you getting some repsonse. I run run a Youth soccer club in England for 5-18's, so know how hard it is to raise funds.

I am willing to contribute for 2 pairs of pants. Can you let me know the best way, cheque,paypal etc. I have relatives in Ottawa, and will be over later in the year, might even try and meet with you.

I sent you a PM.

We need to thank you. People like you and Diehard who put their time and effort and money into this speaks to how important it is to the kids. I am not a big United Way or Red Cross type charity person. I choose to donate to causes like this that people personaly put time in. For me I just feel like the money will do more good in circumstances like this.

Just let the kids know that there are people out here that care about them and hope they have a great time playing, and can take something more away than just the football.

Hey DH, any update on how the fundraising has been going?

I'm at school now... I'll update this evening :)

I didn't know when would be an appropriate timetable because there are still outstanding checks to arrive... as well as some commitments from people with no firm numbers or timetable. But I'll update what I have.

Archived