Pay it I will to the end--

Until the grave, my friend,

Gives me a true release--

Gives me the clasp of peace.

Slight was the thing I bought,

Smal was the debt I thought,

Poor was the loan at best--

God! But the interest!

I said the theme was that debt lasts an eternity but my teacher said that was wrong.

"The Debt"

THIS is the debt I pay

Just for one riotous day,

Years of regret and grief,

Sorrow without relief.

God! But the interest!

I said the theme was that debt lasts an eternity but my teacher said that was wrong.

well your teacher's a *****. ask your stupid teacher how interpreting this poem is going to help you in the future. then after she answers you, tell her SHE'S wrong.

It's call learning how to think critically.

There was a scientist on NPR a few years ago interviewed about his study which found that corporations were best served by hiring English Lit majors over Business majors. The study found that English Lit majors learned how to think critically in a way most others didn't. The conclusion: you can easily teach an English major the specifics of the job, but it's hard to teach a Business major how to think.

There was a scientist on NPR a few years ago interviewed about his study which found that corporations were best served by hiring English Lit majors over Business majors. The study found that English Lit majors learned how to think critically in a way most others didn't. The conclusion: you can easily teach an English major the specifics of the job, but it's hard to teach a Business major how to think.

B.A., cum laude (by .01!), in English for me, baby.

But, I also had a minor, and a credit shy of a major, for Economics. So should I be offended at the same time?

:)

I would think Philosophy would teach you how to think better than English.

I actually agree with that.

I think a lot of English Professors let their student get by with pure fluff papers. I never had a Philospophy (or heard of one) that allowed that to happen. In philosophy, it seems like there are much more defined answers whereas with a lot of English papers it was all what you thought and many professors were afraid to tell students that their ideas were crap.

The truth is, if you can think, you can think irrespective of your major or whether you have a degree or diploma or whatever.

THIS is the debt I pay

Sorrow without relief.

God! But the interest!

I think the writer shot or otherwise killed someone.

Purchased a weapon for a small amount, and in a moment of passion pulled the trigger, etc.

There is no escaping the grief/guilt until death

That doesn't mean that is the theme of the poem though. Theme is the lesson about life or human nature, not what the poem is about.

Well the theme of that poem is that the guy who wrote it needs to pick a new career. :) I could write something similar in about an hour. :silly:

In all seriousness... I think thesteve nailed it.

The poem is about remorse, plain and simple.

Bottom line though, the essence of poetry is that it has no definitive meaning - it can mean anything to anyone. Anyone who argues otherwise is teaching something :)

That is, unless you're a Deconstructionist, in which case no poem ever means anything. One more reason to hate the French.

The conclusion: you can easily teach the specifics of the job, but it's hard to teach how to think. :laugh:

what do majors have to do with this? ;)

I really think this is a matter of who is being taught and how, not the actual major. There are many ways to cultivate ability to think.

Maybe Philosphy being the "science of thought" would be better at teaching one to think than anything else... but I'd think there is a great "cannot see forest for trees" danger when studying Philosophy.

"The Debt"

THIS is the debt I pay

Sorrow without relief.

God! But the interest!

Maybe it is talking about life... Life is seemingly a small thing...

We got it so easily (Slight was the thing I bought)

and we do not reflect upon it's true value often (Smal was the debt I thought)

It is not something that can be paid off

Sorrow without relief.

Unlimited badness

That is ultimately the life itself.

By paying off debt i think the poem is talking about breaking through hardships of life in order to enjoy true peace.

The poem also seems to imply that it is not possible ("until the grave"), thus "peace and release" is actually a process rather than a destination.

Theme is the general idea or insight about life that a writer wishes to express. All of the elements of literary terms contribute to theme.

The theme of that IMO, and as someone else has already stated, is "regret". The line "Years of regret and grief" is what the entire poem revolves around.

Theme is the general idea or insight about life that a writer wishes to express. All of the elements of literary terms contribute to theme.

The theme of that IMO, and as someone else has already stated, is "regret". The line "Years of regret and grief" is what the entire poem revolves around.

Why do you think it revoles around "Years of regret and grief?" What else suggests regret? And regret of what? Something that happened?

How would you explain this?

God! But the interest!

and where does release and peace come from?

Archived