Washington Football Team Logo
Extremeskins

HIV positive Tommy Morrison (Tommy Gun from Rocky V), wants to return to the ring.

steveo21

http://msn.foxsports.com/boxing/story/5352006

Now a decade later, Tommy Morrison plans to take on the Nevada State Athletic Commission that banned him from the sport and launch a comeback.

Morrison (46-3-1, 40 KOs) wants to return to the ring at the age of 37 and attempt to pick up where he left off nearly 10 years ago. But he'll be faced with strong opposition when it comes to regaining his boxing license in America because of his illness.

I don't think they'll ever let him back in the ring with HIV. Especially in a bloody sport like boxing.

To be honest, I'm not sure what I think the right decision would be in this case.

Take away his right to do what he loves because he is sick, or risk another pro boxer getting a deadly disease because you gave him another chance.

This is one to ponder on for a while.

This is one to ponder on for a while.

What an absurd statement. There is nothing to ponder. The risk to the lives of several other boxers far outweighs one man's desire to continue in a sport he loves. There's no way Tommy should ever put other people at risk by boxing again. He should have worn a helmet and taken better care of himself. His life choices, his loss.

Does anybody remember his last fight? Ray Mercer gave him one of the worst beatings i have ever seen. He should probably stay retired.

edit: it wasn't his last fight - but still, a whooping for the ages.

and TBH, one of the first "Real" boxers he faced. He wasn't much of a boxer to begin with, and that record was just a tad padded, if ya know what I mean.

This dude is just not right in the head...

"I'm looking forward to fighting someone," he said. "I can do it. There's no doubt about it. It pisses me off that they won't let me, but I'm going to try and change that. There's no way they should be able to kick me out of the sport for something that's harmless, unless you believe the government."

WTF?!?!???

look, if he got punched by another person and blood splattered on the opponent, ref, judges, or fans, then there would be a ridiculous law suit. There is no rules from discriminating against communicable diseases.

Yeah, but what if they signed a no-holds barred, cage match with him vs. Magic Johnson? :D

Kerry Mullis makes a very good point that HIV *may* not cause AIDS. http://www.virusmyth.net/aids/data/kmreason.htm

If Mullis' hypothesis proves to be the case then there's no reason to discrimate against HIV positive individuals.

I don't like the idea of boxing so I would have no problem with them letting him fight again. A huge law suit may be enough to get the sport banned outright. But, I'm just a monkey on a message board so my opinion in this is mute.

Kerry Mullis makes a very good point that HIV *may* not cause AIDS. http://www.virusmyth.net/aids/data/kmreason.htm

If Mullis' hypothesis proves to be the case then there's no reason to discrimate against HIV positive individuals.

Would you be willing to allow your children or would you yourself get involved in physical activity with someone knowingly HIV-positive who will likely get blood on your at one time or another?

If you're willing to take that gamble, then you're a better man than I am.

Would you be willing to allow your children or would you yourself get involved in physical activity with someone knowingly HIV-positive who will likely get blood on your at one time or another?

If you're willing to take that gamble, then you're a better man than I am.

Knowingly, no. But I have no doubt that I interact with HIV positive people all the time.

Not really the point I was making. The evidence that HIV causes AIDS is correlational and not causal. The disease has been around for 25 years and we should have established a cause by now; be 100% certain that HIV DOES cause AIDS.

I too have become conditioned to fear HIV as a death sentence.

I don't like the idea of boxing so I would have no problem with them letting him fight again. A huge law suit may be enough to get the sport banned outright. But, I'm just a monkey on a message board so my opinion in this is mute.

Regardless if HIV causes AIDS or not, HIV is in and of itself a terminal communicable disease. Still not kosher

Archived