Washington Football Team Logo
Extremeskins

Upshaw says CBA talks at "Standstill"

Westbrook36

http://sports.espn.go.com/nfl/news/story?id=2340178

Upshaw tells agents that CBA talks are in standstillBy John Clayton

ESPN.com

At an NFLPA advisory board meeting of 16 handpicked agents, NFLPA executive director Gene Upshaw told them to hold off on signing new contracts or restructuring deals until March 2, the evening before the start of 2006 free agency.

Upshaw told the agents there isn't any progress on a new collective bargaining agreement and he will not move back the start of free agency under any circumstance. Upshaw said Wednesday he would like to know by Friday when he holds an agents seminar whether there is a chance for a CBA extension.

One of the holdups in extension talks is revenue sharing among the owners. The high revenue teams have yet to cut a deal with the low revenue teams. Once that deal is arranged, Upshaw and the owners can cut a deal for what percentage of total gross revenues will be given to the players.

The players want a percentage of total gross revenues in the 60 percent or above range. Upshaw said he wants a number in the sixties.

"I won't do it, though, without revenue sharing," Upshaw said.

More in link.

What's interesting with this whole thing is that it's not really the owners vs. the players...it's the owners vs. the owners. Once the owners sort things out, a deal should be reached pretty quickly...

The CBA cannot be approved until the owner vs owner thing is hashed out:

NFL | CBA update

Wed, 22 Feb 2006 22:33:40 -0800

Tom E. Curran, of the Providence Journal, reports one of the issues preventing a new collective bargaining agreement is determining the percentage of defined gross revenues (DGR) that goes to the players. The current DGR is at 64 and NFLPA executive director Gene Upshaw would like it to remain in the sixties. There are other fine-print aspects that need to get worked out, but there is optimism that something may break this week. Getting the players to agree to the new CBA is only the first step. The second step is getting the owners to sort out their own issues. It is believed that once the NFLPA agrees on the new CBA, NFL commissioner Paul Tagliabue will tell the owners they must be in agreement on how they share revenues going forward before the new CBA is ratified.

What's interesting with this whole thing is that it's not really the owners vs. the players...it's the owners vs. the owners. Once the owners sort things out, a deal should be reached pretty quickly...

That's the probelm.......Have you ever argued with your Grandmother?......Old people NEVER change their minds.... :laugh: :silly:

NFL | CBA update

Wed, 22 Feb 2006 22:33:40 -0800

Tom E. Curran, of the Providence Journal, reports one of the issues preventing a new collective bargaining agreement is determining the percentage of defined gross revenues (DGR) that goes to the players. The current DGR is at 64 and NFLPA executive director Gene Upshaw would like it to remain in the sixties. There are other fine-print aspects that need to get worked out, but there is optimism that something may break this week. Getting the players to agree to the new CBA is only the first step. The second step is getting the owners to sort out their own issues. It is believed that once the NFLPA agrees on the new CBA, NFL commissioner Paul Tagliabue will tell the owners they must be in agreement on how they share revenues going forward before the new CBA is ratified.

Atleast this sounds somewhat optimistic.

Would you please explain how it seems so fair to you.

Because the players are the biggest reason the team is successful? Because players are the reason people buy jerseys, etc.? I could keep going, but basically the players are the main reason for all the extra revenue anyway. Put a bunch of nobodies in like the strike year and see how many jerseys they sell...

Because the players are the biggest reason the team is successful? Because players are the reason people buy jerseys, etc.? I could keep going, but basically the players are the main reason for all the extra revenue anyway. Put a bunch of nobodies in like the strike year and see how many jerseys they sell...

Disagree (though I agree to an extent in the short term). People root for the jerseys, not the players. I don't care who we trot out there. It's the franchise and the franchise alone that I have loyalty to. There would be a transition period, to be sure, and the quality of play would dimish substantially in the interim, but at the end of the day the NFL would maintain its popularity. While the players would be bagging groceries or have figurehead positions with their old college teams... :laugh:

If there isn't a 3/4 majority, the issue should be closed, shouldn't it? It takes 3/4 approval to make a change.

If that's what they are going to do, then they could announce right NOW that there will be no new agreement. The players are not going to go for anything that does not enable them to get their greedy paws on all that extra cash from the 9 fatcats.

The fans are the reason the teams are successful. If you put "nobody" players in and left them in, they would evolve into "somebodies" by nature of the fan. But we are merely the people paying for the product and making all the others wealthy.

Imagine if fans had a union. :D

Disagree (though I agree to an extent in the short term). People root for the jerseys, not the players. I don't care who we trot out there. It's the franchise and the franchise alone that I have loyalty to. There would be a transition period, to be sure, and the quality of play would dimish substantially in the interim, but at the end of the day the NFL would maintain its popularity. While the players would be bagging groceries or have figurehead positions with their old college teams... :laugh:

You apparently were not here during the strike year. Sure, the TEAM was still being rooted for. But the fans did not connect with 90% of the replacement players. Everything went back to normal when the real players returned. So the statement about real players selling the jerseys is right on the mark.

Archived