Washington Football Team Logo
Extremeskins

Random Thought Thread

Why do people on Facebook, Youtube, etc always use the @ symbol to precede the person's name they're talking to ?

Isn't it kind of obvious who you're talking to even without the @ symbol - the name kind of gives it away, doesn't it ?

Why do people on Facebook, Youtube, etc always use the @ symbol to precede the person's name they're talking to ?

Isn't it kind of obvious who you're talking to even without the @ symbol - the name kind of gives it away, doesn't it ?

On facebook and twitter it sets a link to the person's name so they're notified they've been mentioned.

Get with it, Mick!

On facebook and twitter it sets a link to the person's name so they're notified they've been mentioned.

But they're notified anyway.

You get an email notification any time anyone replies to a comment that you posted in.

You get an email notification any time anyone replies to a comment that you posted in.

But if it's in a status on facebook and someone just types your name without the @ symbol you won't get an email...also sometimes people don't check their email before sooo...

It's about gay, isn't it? FB is getting a little old to me. I don't care id you just let the dog out to pee. I don't care that you just opened the door to let the dog in. I don't care if you just locked the door that you just let the dog in. I don't care that you just wiped your feet on the matt, even when you didn't actually go outside. (ha ha ha)

@SC, I bet her folks are proud.

No....

Facebook started doing what Twitter did. Twitter is the thing that started the whole @ thing.

Facebook told everybody, "hey everybody. Now you can tag your friends in your status updates, like in Twitter!" So when you press the @ sign in your facebook status update box, a drop down list of your friends pops up. You pick the friend you want to mention, then click on it, then finish your status update. When you post your status update, your friend's name will come up in blue. Not only does this status update show up on the news feed for the world to see, it also shows up on the friend's page that you tagged.

For example.....let's say I was hanging out with you. I would type in...

Robin (Status update area---->) Drinkin' some OE with @Mickalino

When I start typing the "M" of your name, all my friends with "M"s come down. I pick you. I hit send. It shows up on my wall and my news feed. It will also show up on YOUR wall. You will see all comments associated with that post, even if you did not post in it at all. This is different than if I had just put "Drinkin' some OE with Mickalino" without the @symbol.

Try it.

I also think you're talking about seeing the @symbol everywhere, like in people's comments and stuff. I know what you're talking about. Blame Twitter. It's the fad for now.

Elaborate.

VERY good night. Seeing her again Tuesday night, once she moves into the new place.

It was perfect.

I didn't. Could have, but didn't. She's the type I want to keep around, and so I decided to leash the inner dog...for tonight. No promises next week! :ols:

Ah, new ladyfriend?

So no :hump: this time? :pfft:

Yep, new fling. :) It's been a while.

And no, I didn't. She gave me the "awwww, but i don't waaant you to go home yet," in the parking lot, after a nice sloppy smooch in front of the porch crowd. :ols: And against my better judgement, I made a second date, and behaved like the gentleman I'm not. :silly:

This is somebody I really care about. I've known her for probably 20 years. (The classic "I wanted her in HS, but she wanted nothing to do with me but a friendship.") Well, now we're on the same page.

It was a great night. Neither of us stopped laughing through dinner. It was like we never missed a beat, and really enjoyed all the reminiscing about the old days.

Frankly, I've always been the relationship type. So far, it's gotten me nothing but the two most perfect daughters in the world, and a clear conscience. But that's something no one can take away. :)

Good for you HH. Glad to hear that it went well and you have already lined up another date.

If you have been waiting for it for 20 years you might be a two pump chump when the deal finally happens so you better prepare yourself.

Yep, new fling. :) It's been a while.

And no, I didn't. She gave me the "awwww, but i don't waaant you to go home yet," in the parking lot, after a nice sloppy smooch in front of the porch crowd. :ols: And against my better judgement, I made a second date, and behaved like the gentleman I'm not. :silly:

This is somebody I really care about. I've known her for probably 20 years. (The classic "I wanted her in HS, but she wanted nothing to do with me but a friendship.") Well, now we're on the same page.

It was a great night. Neither of us stopped laughing through dinner. It was like we never missed a beat, and really enjoyed all the reminiscing about the old days.

Frankly, I've always been the relationship type. So far, it's gotten me nothing but the two most perfect daughters in the world, and a clear conscience. But that's something no one can take away. :)

:)

Happy people make me happy.

Well, happy people that I like.

:D

• Jumbo changed the title to Random Thought Thread
  • Jumbo locked this topic
  • Jumbo unlocked this topic