stevenaa

Random Thought Thread

13 minutes ago, The Evil Genius said:

Joan Jett is still a badass.

The HS that is mentioned is by my house now. I grew up 3000 miles away and our claim to fame musically was the Chad Hugo (1/2 of NERD) and the lead singer (Lady Miss Kier) of Deee-Lite (groove is in the heart).

That.. and JR Reid (basketball), DJ Dozier (football), and actor Jason Winston George.

Lady Miss Kier is UNDERRATED.

• Like 1

Nicolas Cage is a very underrated actor.  The Rock, Gone in 60 Seconds, Con Air, Face Off, and Windtalkers are 5 of the best movies in the TNT/TBS/FX rotation.  You can turn them on at any point in the movie and get sucked into watching the rest.  The National Treasure series is better than the Indiana Jones movies.  They are way more relevant and plausible and hold up better as time has past.

3 minutes ago, daveakl said:

Nicolas Cage is a very underrated actor.  The Rock, Gone in 60 Seconds, Con Air, Face Off, and Windtalkers are 5 of the best movies in the TNT/TBS/FX rotation.  You can turn them on at any point in the movie and get sucked into watching the rest.  The National Treasure series is better than the Indiana Jones movies.  They are way more relevant and plausible and hold up better as time has past.

I forgive you

If you have been on this board less than 5 years, this post won't make any sense, so just skip to the next one.

Got this text today from a guy I built a bass for about 8 or so years ago.

What's up Brian, Duke here.  Don't know if this is still your number but if it is I want you to know that the Bass you made me made its way into the hand of the great Pete Sears...and he ****ing loved it!!!! Hope all is well my man.

Pete Sears was the top session guy in SF, and played in Jefferson Starship from the late seventies to mid eighties.  I don't make instruments anymore (lost a small fortune trying to break into the market), but that was still sweet to hear.

• Like 11

4 hours ago, Dont Taze Me Bro said:

In Breaking Bad, the only major character that could pull a spin-off series was Saul, imo.  Sure, they have the TV movie coming out that focuses on Jessie, but it's not a series.  

Mike.  I wanted more about Mike.  That actor was too old to do a prequel where you'd get his backstory but Mike was the man.  The ultimate fixer.  

48 minutes ago, Riggo-toni said:

If you have been on this board less than 5 years, this post won't make any sense, so just skip to the next one.

What's up Brian, Duke here.  Don't know if this is still your number but if it is I want you to know that the Bass you made me made its way into the hand of the great Pete Sears...and he ****ing loved it!!!! Hope all is well my man.

Pete Sears was the top session guy in SF, and played in Jefferson Starship from the late seventies to mid eighties.  I don't make instruments anymore (lost a small fortune trying to break into the market), but that was still sweet to hear.

That's cool man, congrats.  But that means Pete Sears played on "We Built This City" and is therefore dead to me.  

• Haha 1

1 hour ago, daveakl said:

What is happening?!

390834147_giphy(3).gif.7c6f29f5305c302d0ab721b89fbfbfc4.gif

• Thanks 1
  • Haha 3
  • Confused 1

So is this Popeye's chicken sandwich here to stay?  Is it something I can try in a couple months after this hype has died down or is it gonna be here for a couple weeks and then disappear like Taco Bell does with the Bacon Club Chalupa?

The Bacon Club Chalupa is, like, the Halley's Comet of the fast food world.  Comes around for a brief sighting not too often.

Edited by Spaceman Spiff

If Indiana Jones just let the Nazis have the ark in 1936 they would’ve surely presented it to Hitler. They would’ve opened it in front of him. WW2 and the Holoacaust would never have happened.

• Like 1
  • Haha 1

3 hours ago, Riggo-toni said:

Question, materials wise, how much was the cost to make a bass guitar?  And would you be willing to make another for an RTT homie?

Edited by Dont Taze Me Bro

6 minutes ago, Dont Taze Me Bro said:

Question, materials wise, how much was the cost to make a bass guitar?  And would you be willing to make another for an RTT homie?

Were it possible, I would be willing, but I sold off all my machines and wood before moving to Georgia.

Typically, it was about $600 in materials for a bass.

• Like 1

13 hours ago, daveakl said:

Raptors Guy is becoming untethered.

• Like 1
  • Haha 1

2 hours ago, Elessar78 said:

How is the kiddo doing? 

Doing good!  Starting 4th grade on Monday and down to 2 scans per year (every 6 months now).  

• Like 9

Welp, it's official.  Just received the offer letter after a phone call, the gov't made me an offer I couldn't refuse.  Took a fed job with the Dept of Energy.  Even after negotiating, the pay cut is pretty brutal.  But priorities have shifted since having a kid, and the stability of being a fed is more important than the money as a contractor, which I've been for the last 11 years.  

I accepted 13 up in Golden, going to be one of the lead Contracting Officers on a $2B research and testing contract at NREL, the #1 green and renewable energy research facility in the country.  I'll be dealing with scientists in lab coats and goggles every day, buying all the toys they need to do their experiments.  

The HR guy said 172 people applied for this job, and they chose your boy.  I slayed the interview, and was told the praise from my professional references "blew them away."  

Had to step outside to shed a few thug tears after the call.  I've worked harder than everyone around me at every job I've ever had, and it feels like it's finally paying off.  

This is pretty much a dream job.  Telework 3 days a week, they do happy hour every Tuesday, and they're real big on work/life balance.  Also, the mission at NREL is something I'm really excited about being a part of.  I'll be part of the machine that's trying to make the world a cleaner place for my kid.  

• Like 14