Washington Football Team Logo
Extremeskins

Random Thought Thread

LOL I've been accused of being fairweather

Not my fault i started attending games in June

The Nats weren't even that good then

Let me guess... It was either Gacolb or stevemcqueen

Edit wait, weren't you an O's fan at one point?

Edited by Mr. Sinister

Its okay i'm a fairweather caps fan. I watch maybe 5 games a season + playoff games if they make it.

Nats I watch maybe 50% its hard to watch more than that since a lot of games are during the day when I'm in class.

Wizards I watch 100% and Redskins I watch 100% including preseason and summer league

I'd say upwards of 75% of current Caps fans are fair weather. Growing up in DC there weren't that many. Friends I went to HS with couldn't name a caps player, now all of them have caps jerseys, etc and have watching parties. Can't really blame them since there was a cheering vacuum created by Dan Snyder's team. 

DC itself is pretty fairweather for the most part outside of Skins fans.

I gave them grief in the NBA thread when they tried to talk **** about "Buying championships," ignoring by he fact that paid for Ariza and their frontcourt, and that if somehow Kevin Durant came here, bandwagon and fairweather fans would flock like buzzards to a zapper.

And in one fell swoop, in mere minutes, they would become what they hate.... Frontrunners

It's hard to be truly dedicated to watching all the major sports, especially when you toss in college basketball and football in the mix.  You can be die-hard and not watch all the games, it's just something has to give, there just isn't enough time in the day for the average person.

Lets break it down as far as my teams go:  

NFL - Redskins

NBA - Hornets

MLB - Braves

NHL - Hurricanes 

NCAA football - UNCC 49ers and FSU Seminoles

NCAA basketball - UNCC  49ers and UNC Tarheels

You toss in all those teams and then the responsibilities of work, family, routine chores around the house, etc, it's impossible to watch every game for each of the teams.  I can say I watch 100% of the Redskins games, Seminoles, UNCC football (either live or the ones televised) and UNC basketball.  The rest varies.

Edited by Dont Taze Me Bro

As far as being considered fair weather, I think that term, imo, should be reserved for the obvious people that don't care unless the team is winning.  Games are expensive for some people and not every game is televised, or not everyone has cable/satellite to watch all the games.  

Also, if someone got into their local sports team because they were popular and doing really good or great and they weren't into said sport really at all in the past.  I wouldn't call them fair weather at all (not at that stage of new fandom).  Now say the next year the team is ****, they don't follow it, etc. then the next year they are hot again and said fan is all over it again, then yeah fair weather.

I mean everyone at some point got into a sport and started following it.  I wasn't real into hockey growing up in the south, met one of my best friends in high school who was from Detroit and a huge Red Wings fan.  

Hanging out with him watching games and playing NHL on the game consoles, with him explaining all the rules, formations, etc.  got me into watching hockey.  Then we got the Hurricanes franchise and that's who I've pulled for since.  I wish I had more time to watch hockey, but I can't afford NHL Center Ice and time gets limited, so I watch every game I can when available or not conflicting with other stuff.

I'm so over feeling like I'm not making forward progress in my life/career on a daily basis. I need to find a better way...

Are you over analyzing things?  Do you expect things to have happened faster than they are (i.e. marriage, kids, multiple job promotions, etc.)?  

I was at that exact same place back in 2001.  To the point of depression.  Talking to my wife and friends about it, getting it off my chest allowed me to clear my head and make the necessary changes/actions to move forward in life.  Keep your head up, talk to someone, set your priorities/goals and activate your plan.  

For some reason I just don't care about sports in general anymore. Something about being crazy over watching others play a game, makes me feel weird. Especially 165 baseball games. No.

I tried being a baseball fan, especially when the Nats hit town for the first few seasons. My best sport was baseball, I was a southpaw with a 90 mph fastball at 17, went yard with wooden bats in select fall leagues, I just didn't love it enough. I can REALLY tell now. I seriously don't give a **** about baseball. Horrible timing too, cuz the Nats and O's could potentially play each other in the WS. I will watch, hoping the Nats win, but I won't be psycho about it like I would've been 7 or 8 years ago.

Same with the Caps and Wiz. I used to be a part of the Caps playoff chatroom on ES. Does that still exist? Good times, but I just have no desire to watch hockey anymore.

Wonder if it's a phase, maybe I'll learn to appreciate sports again one day. Maybe DC sports have just ruined my spirit. That makes sense, but I think it's more than that. Just can't get all crazy about others playing games anymore.

Edited by d0ublestr0ker0ll

He's confessed to being a Yankees fan in the past.

If the Wizards start doing bobble head nights, you'll be probably see him in the NBA thread soon. Lol

Yeah, but was he a die-hard Yankees fan?  A casual fan, with no real team and he just picked the Yankees?  Decided to go with the home team Nats and not look back?

I swear we have had this conversation before about Ix......

For some reason I just don't care about sports in general anymore. Something about being crazy over watching others play a game, makes me feel weird. Especially 165 baseball games. No.

I tried being a baseball fan, especially when the Nats hit town for the first few seasons. My best sport was baseball, I was a southpaw with a 90 mph fastball at 17, went yard with wooden bats in select fall leagues, I just didn't love it enough. I can REALLY tell now. I seriously don't give a **** about baseball. Horrible timing too, cuz the Nats and O's could potentially play each other in the WS. I will watch, hoping the Nats win, but I won't be psycho about it like I would've been 7 or 8 years ago.

Same with the Caps and Wiz. I used to be a part of the Caps playoff chatroom on ES. Does that still exist? Good times, but I just have no desire to watch hockey anymore.

Wonder if it's a phase, maybe I'll learn to appreciate sports again one day. Maybe DC sports has just ruined my spirit. That makes sense, but I think it's that I don't care about sports in general anymore.

I think as we get older, the craziness starts to wear off some.  If you were a random passer by at RJ Gators Bar and Grill circa 1998, you would have thought I was crazy and might possibly get arrested during Skins games (never did, but I was crazy during games).  

Now if you were to go into a bar and see me (granted I rarely go out for games, since 2003) watching a Skins game, you would think, man this guy loves his football team, but seems like a good guy.  Cause I do like to poke fun with opposing fans and love it when they joke back.  But there is no way I'm getting in a fight over a ball game.  

That is called maturing.

We all do that...at some point.

It's just a game. A distraction from some of the crazy stuff we deal with daily.

Don't get me wrong, I can act like a teen with the best of 'em.

Exactly.  And I've watched my dad just decline in his overall interest to watch sports like an animal.  He used to watch everything, excluding hockey.  He would get the NFL Ticket, NBA League Pass and MLB Extra Innings every year.  Record all the UNC basketball and football games, watch them when he got home from his second job, which was officiating high school football, basketball, softball, etc.

Now, he gets the NFL Ticket and MLB Extra innings, that's pretty much it.  He catches a UNC basketball game or football game when he can.  Never hardly watches the NBA anymore, just when he can.  UNCC football games we go to cause we have season tickets, that aside, my parents always have stuff going on during the weekends and during the week.

My dad is reeeeeeally in to the Nats. He's 72 years old, was a Senators fan, would go to Griffith Stadium all the time as a kid. Watches almost every Nats game, cheering them on, clapping and calling the players by their first names. Espinosa is only "Danny" to him, Werth is only "Jason". So it keeps my hopes up that one day I can be a fan again.

• Like 1

I'm not a fairweather fan, but I'll be lying if I said that I follow the Nats and Caps as much as I do the Wiz and Skins.

That being said. I do root hard for those teams. They are repping my city, so I have no choice to root for them. 

As far as the Nats go, I do watch a lot of the games. Not 100%, but much more than when they first came. I guess since DC didn't have a team, I never really got into t baseball. I guess the O's were my "team", but that was only because of Cal Ripken. Honestly speaking, I liked the White Sox just as much as the O's. 

But when the Nats came, it was a wrap. It was Nats over everybody. 

That is called maturing.

We all do that...at some point.

It's just a game. A distraction from some of the crazy stuff we deal with daily.

I tend to agree. Though I cheer like a madman, losses (and even some wins) don't affect me anywhere near as .much as they used to.

I remember games like that 27-0 thrashing in one of Spurrier's last games here against the Cowboys, and how I didn't even want to go to school the next day

He uploaded a selfie of him wearing a Pats sweater.

Damn I forgot all about that...

We need to do something about this.

• Jumbo changed the title to Random Thought Thread
  • Jumbo locked this topic
  • Jumbo unlocked this topic