Washington Football Team Logo
Extremeskins

Random Thought Thread

First off, to me, the NBA is horrid basketball. 4 steps and dunk..no thanks. 

That said, I still think the 1 and done rule in CBB is killing the product. If you are a fan of teams like the UNCs/Duke's/UK's, etc..I'm guessing its hard to find a consistent group of players to root for when they are leaving your program every 1-2 years.  

Edited by The Evil Genius

First off, to me, the NBA is horrid basketball. 4 steps and dunk..no thanks. 

That said, I still think the 1 and done rule in CBB is killing the product. If you are a fan of teams like the UNCs/Duke's/UK's, etc..I'm guessing its hard to find a consistent group of players to root for when they are leaving your program every 1-2 years.  

I think the one and done is definitely hurting CBB. Either let them skip right to the pros or do what they do in CFB and make them stay 3 years or something. It seems so hard for teams to have consistent sucess anymore in CBB. Sure you usually see the same teams ranked, but there just seems to be more parity in CBB than ever before.

Was watching GTown last night and they called a charge on a player that didn't even have the basketball. Now, I've been watching basketball for over a decade now, and that's the first time I've ever seen them call offensive foul on someone who didn't even possess the basketball. You see it all the time in football but not in basketball. It was quite an interesting call. 

Also, NBA sucks because 

1) best teams other than Heat, such as Lakers and Knicks, are struggling

2) David Aldridge basically confirmed what we all knew that the NBA is all flashy offense and no defense, and that the rules were changed long ago to make it more guard and offense-friendly while sacrificing old fundamentals such as defense. I remember watching the Bad Boy Pistons. They were the greatest. You'd get a little extra after you went to the hoop. Those were the good days. Even as far back as 2003 the Pistons built their success on strong defense. Then the NBA changed the rules to open up offenses, and I quit giving a damn about the NBA 

It's good to see defense still exists in basketball, although you have to look to College to find it. 

• Like 1

Was watching GTown last night and they called a charge on a player that didn't even have the basketball. Now, I've been watching basketball for over a decade now, and that's the first time I've ever seen them call offensive foul on someone who didn't even possess the basketball. You see it all the time in football but not in basketball. It was quite an interesting call. 

Also, NBA sucks because 

1) best teams other than Heat, such as Lakers and Knicks, are struggling

2) David Aldridge basically confirmed what we all knew that the NBA is all flashy offense and no defense, and that the rules were changed long ago to make it more guard and offense-friendly while sacrificing old fundamentals such as defense. I remember watching the Bad Boy Pistons. They were the greatest. You'd get a little extra after you went to the hoop. Those were the good days. Even as far back as 2003 the Pistons built their success on strong defense. Then the NBA changed the rules to open up offenses, and I quit giving a damn about the NBA 

It's good to see defense still exists in basketball, although you have to look to College to find it. 

The problem I have with the NBA is that the same few teams have a chance every year. Does anyone honestly believe a team other than Indiana or Miami is coming out of the East? The West is pretty much San Antonio, OKC and the Clippers. Maybe you can make a case for Portland or Golden State, but I don't think either of those teams have a realastic chance at the Finals this year. Over the last 30 years, there's been what, 9 teams win the NBA Finals? That's absolutely insane. People give MLB a hard time, but even they've had more parity than the NBA.

As for college, didn't the G'Town game also have 39 fouls in only 40 minutes? How is that fun to watch? There's too many fouls called in the college game and it slows the tempo of the game down too much. Also, they need to make the shot clock 24 or 25 seconds. Teams hold onto the ball for too long.

CBB/NBA need to adopt the NCAAF/NFL rule and allow kids to enter the draft only after 3 years of being out of high school. Of course it will never happen, but it's one of the best rules to keep the college game free of huge personnel turnover.  Plus, in theory, it allows team to recruit and build programs.

BTW - you could fall asleep for 15 minutes during a Wisconsin or other B1G team basketball game and only miss a few baskets. Matt's right - the shot clock needs to be reduced from 35 seconds to 30 seconds (or even 25). Personally, making it 30 seconds makes a lot more sense to me than 25 (or 24) - which seems too draconian for CBB.

2014 Harris Poll:

NFL 35%

MLB 14%

CFB. 11%

Auto Racing 7%

NBA 6%

NHL 5%

CBB 3%

Btw, I completely agree with you about CBB. I just can't get into either. Love the NCAA tourney though.

Glad to see Major League Baseball's still the second most popular sporting league in this country. 

How is it going so far?

It's going fine. When I quit smoking,  I found there were brief moments of weakness, followed by longer periods of joy knowing I defeated the urge. This is pretty much the same. I know I gotta do it to lose some weight (~25lbs) so I keep on keepin' on.

Help me out here.  Is stand up comic Amy Schumer actually hot (currently leaning this way), or is my opinion of her skewed because her mouth and mind are filthy?

Not my cup of tea..plus she's dated Dolph Ziggler.  No thanks.

----

51 days without rain. This part of California has 2 seasons. Dry Season (April-October) and rainy season (November-March). 

We need rain...and we might get it tomorrow. I've never been so happy for a chance of rain.

I hate my bank.  I can't make a purchase above $1,000.  What kind of amateur league hogwash is that?  I spoke to a lady a few weeks ago and she said just write a check.  So I go to Sears yesterday to buy a washer/dryer.  Cost about $1,800.  I write a check, and he tries to process it then and there.  Denied.  Ahhh such nonsense.

I hate my bank.  I can't make a purchase above $1,000.  What kind of amateur league hogwash is that?  I spoke to a lady a few weeks ago and she said just write a check.  So I go to Sears yesterday to buy a washer/dryer.  Cost about $1,800.  I write a check, and he tries to process it then and there.  Denied.  Ahhh such nonsense.

Find a credit union.  

Seriously, the need for ATMs on every corner is almost non-existent with being able to pull out up to $100 at places like the grocery store or Wal Mart with purchase.

Credit unions offer the best services & perks, usually.

I impulsively put down $20 on the megamillions over the weekend. If I win this, hello fully stocked Evo (first order of business). Next thing I might do is do a cross country tour of the US. Then maybe spend like 3 weeks in Brazil.

Side note,after all these years of listening to that song Heartbeat, I had no idea it was Don Johnson. Not bad for an actor who probably had no business being anywhere near a studio.

Edited by Mr. Sinister

It's going fine. When I quit smoking, I found there were brief moments of weakness, followed by longer periods of joy knowing I defeated the urge. This is pretty much the same. I know I gotta do it to lose some weight (~25lbs) so I keep on keepin' on.

For me it's going to be more losing the social aspect, everyone tends to drink. Too much temptation, I am going to be a hermit.

For me it's going to be more losing the social aspect, everyone tends to drink. Too much temptation, I am going to be a hermit.

Yeah, I understand. I hung out at home with my wife last weekend. It will be harder this coming weekend as we have a few social events to go to (including Friday night Happy Hour). 

It's never fun to be the only sober person around a bunch of buzzed people. But I'm not going to let it bother me. Imagine how hard it is for people with alcohol issues.

that's the difficult part for me.  I enjoy hanging out with friends at happy hour.  Wings, shots, beer, good convo.  It's gonna be a while before I feel comfortable hanging around people that are drinking. 

Denial is so much more than a river in Africa, man.  At my worst, I could chug a pint of whiskey in about 45 seconds and still be functional.  My wife ordered a breathalizer off Amazon a while back, and I came home and blew a .28 one time (didn't drive)...but still didn't feel I had a problem.  Not good.

I'm trying to get completely dry and never drink again, not just be able to manage intake and know when to stop.  i'm like a week sober now, and this **** sucks lol.  I'm crabby, been getting headaches, and the urge is strong.  I'm winning so far though, so **** you, delicous whiskey.  LOL.  Sounds kinda dumb, but whenever I get the urge to drink...at home or at work, I'll do 20 push ups.  If I'm going to suffer through withdrawl and urges, I might as well get sexy doing it LOL.

Edited by Chew
  • Like 1

that's the difficult part for me. I enjoy hanging out with friends at happy hour. Wings, shots, beer, good convo. It's gonna be a while before I feel comfortable hanging around people that are drinking.

Denial is so much more than a river in Africa, man. At my worst, I could chug a pint of whiskey in about 45 seconds and still be functional. My wife ordered a breathalizer off Amazon a while back, and I came home and blew a .28 one time (didn't drive)...but still didn't feel I had a problem. Not good.

I'm trying to get completely dry and never drink again, not just be able to manage intake and know when to stop. i'm like a week sober now, and this **** sucks lol. I'm crabby, been getting headaches, and the urge is strong. I'm winning so far though, so **** you, delicous whiskey. LOL. Sounds kinda dumb, but whenever I get the urge to drink...at home or at work, I'll do 20 push ups. If I'm going to suffer through withdrawl and urges, I might as well get sexy doing it LOL.

Why did you decide to stop drinking? If you don't mind me asking. I'm going to be honest, I am not stopping cause I think I have a problem, I might be in denial, but I don't think my drinking is an issue. The only reason is to get as shredded as possible so when I go to a pool party in Vegas. I know that sounds shallow and immature, but I'm okay with that. I already feel I have a better body then average, I just want to see how far I can push my body. Nutrition is a big part and I won't be able to get the results I want with drinking every weekend.
  • Jumbo changed the title to Random Thought Thread
  • Jumbo locked this topic
  • Jumbo unlocked this topic