Washington Football Team Logo
Extremeskins

Random Thought Thread

stevenaa

Things I learned from a presentation yesterday by Dr. Clarence Lusane, author of The Black History of the White House:

*George Taylor was the first Black nominee for president in 1904 running on a platform of ending the gold standard, public railroads, and anti-lynching.

* Obama does not win the primary election in 2008 without the concessions made to Jesse Jackson for proportional awarding of delegates. In a winner take all primary, he would have lost to Clinton.

* Martin Luther King said in 1964 that he could see a Black President in 40 years. He was pretty close.

* The first film with a Black President was Rufus Jones for President in 1933 with a very young Sammy Davis Jr. It's full of incredibly racist scenes probably not thought of as such in the 30's. It's available on YouTube.

* Democrats haven't won a majority of White voters in a long time. Recent high water marks include Carter with 48, Clinton with 44, then Obama with 43.

* Hate groups have increased dramatically since 2000. According to the Southern Poverty Law Center, there were 602 in 2000, and in 2011 there were 1018. Is this truly what comes with global exposure? I always found it harder to hate/fear that with which I am familiar. I hope there is some balancing good, though I know not how to accurately measure it.

* Hate groups have increased dramatically since 2000. According to the Southern Poverty Law Center, there were 602 in 2000, and in 2011 there were 1018. Is this truly what comes with global exposure? I always found it harder to hate/fear that with which I am familiar. I hope there is some balancing good, though I know not how to accurately measure it.

That's not surprising, sadly. I think post-9/11, and post '08 is probably where a lot of the increases came from, as well as the anger that arises from people who believe in all of the goverment enslavement conspiracy theory mumbo jumbo.

* Edit, I know politics aren't allowed in this thread, so I'll just leave it there.

Hog, I go by this (if you know me), " Everyday is a good day". I am considering adding this let me know what you think... "Smile, once you reflect"

I know probably corny ...but I an generally a pretty happy person.

(finger smiley for the haters)... haha

Dude, I love it.

As you know, I used to be a very, very negative person. It caused a lot of issues both personally and professionally. I regularly do active attitude checks and adjustments these days and, not surprisingly, more positive results have followed. My thinking on this is that anything that brings you back to a positive way of thinking is a good thing.

I should of made this a thread. I don't know why, maybe I thought it would be too much.

Yale study: Alcohol’s gateway effect much larger than marijuana’s

drunkgirl-shutterstock-615x345.jpg

Read Story here,

www.rawstory.com/rs/2012/08/22/yale-study-alcohols-gateway-effect-much-larger-than-marijuanas/

"A Yale study published Tuesday in the Journal of Adolescent Health found that people who used alcohol or tobacco in their youth are almost twice as likely to abuse prescription opiate drugs than those who only used marijuana."

"National Survey on Drug Use and Health revealed that of the 12 percent of young adults who said they’d abused prescription opiates, “prevalence of previous substance use was 57% for alcohol, 56% for cigarettes, and 34% for marijuana.”

"The Centers for Disease Control said in January that prescription opiate overdoses kill more Americans every year than cocaine and heroin overdoses combined."

"A study published in 2010 in the medical journal Lancet ranked alcohol as the most harmful drug known to man, with more than double the potential harms of heroin use."

Hmmm...i'm a functioning alcoholic (i'm serious) and i've never been interested in trying hard drugs. i was at a Pretty Lights concert on Saturday and was probably one of the few people there NOT tripping off LSD or pills. I am a social pot smoker though :)

I've just never had the balls to try any hard drugs. those scare tactic viral drug videos worked on me. The 60 minute specials in the 90s that would show the brain scans of some kid who only tried E or LSD once...now they're all ****ed up. I'm too scared to do anything else besides chug cognac and toke the bong. :)

Archived