Washington Football Team Logo
Extremeskins

Random Thought Thread

stevenaa

Has anyone ever wondered why "He was a regular salt of the earth kind of guy" means he was honest and "He was a peace of (four letter word beginning with 'S')" means he was good for nothing liar? Didn't armies used to salt the fields to prevent crops from growing, and I know manure is great fertilizer. Is the lesson we are to take from this, "The world only eats because of despicable lying people, and the real problem with the world is all of the honest people?"

Yes, I know salt used to be valuable instead of just tossed off the back of trucks when we expect ice storms. I just find the morphing of language interesting.

I'm so glad I wasn't on the Titanic.

Or the MS Estonia for that matter.

For some reason I am mesmerized by disasters, read about them all the time.

I've actually watched a few documentaries on the Titanic in the last few months, with one being a James Cameron special (done in '05) where he took a submersible down, and maneuvered one of those robotic camera things inside it. They were actually able to maneuver it around what was left of the grand staircase, that room that was used in the painting scene in the movie (with the clock still intact, with the hands stopped on almost the exact time that the ship went down), and they actually managed to get it in the turkish bath area, which is quite frankly one of the most amazing things I've ever seen.

I mean here's a ship, sunk at the bottom of the ocean for almost a hundred years, broken in two, hitting the floor with tremendous force, yet here's this one area that (compared to the rest of what's left of the ship) is essentially untouched, almost frozen in time. You could make out all of the vibrant colors that were featured on the wall, along with a bunch of mirrors, and it was absolutely breathtaking. I can't imagine what that ship looked like before it sank. That was some fantastic artwork.

They also came across some door that was attached to the ship, and ended up flung a considerable distance from it, which sort of gives you an idea of the amount of force that the Titanic hit the ocean floor with.

One of the more grim docs, however, was about what the guys who conducted the rescue searches saw: just a bunch of dead people floating in the water, dead babies, etc. Most of them ended up being buried in one place (in unmarked graves). That was ****ed up. All those people died because of arrogance and ********ed-ness. So many people had to **** up (from the ships designers, all the way down to the cat that was in the crow's nest) for that to happen.

They better not lock the island down after work tonight and reopen it before work tomorrow.

I work doubles every day this week and one triple while I close one of the restaurants for season.

I need this curfew to work with me here. Argh

Sorry, dude...how's the weather lookin'? I haven't been on weather channel yet this a.m., but am keeping good thoughts for ya.

Sorry, dude...how's the weather lookin'? I haven't been on weather channel yet this a.m., but am keeping good thoughts for ya.

It'll be fine. TS/Cat 1 max. No biggie. At least my house doesn't flood anymore :ols:

---------- Post added August-22nd-2012 at 08:11 AM ----------

376718_4125380784756_1512892545_n.jpg

:D

It'll be fine. TS/Cat 1 max. No biggie. At least my house doesn't flood anymore :ols:

Looks scary to me, stay safe!!

It certainly looks a lot bigger when you're on a tiny island and see that bearing down on you.

There is another one right behind it too.

The scary part is what could happen after back to back hurricanes and if we lose power, especially with all the recent violence. Seriously, 13 people shot last weekend, including the chief of police. There isn't that many folks on this rock either.

Archived