Washington Football Team Logo
Extremeskins

Random Thought Thread

stevenaa

The guitar is not what I'm saying is making him talented. I'm trying to show him singing in an acoustic setting.

Read what I'm writing instead of assuming I'm discussing his guitar playing skills.

Seriously.

I read what you wrote. You think he sings well. He sings about as well as an average high school kid who has a good voice.

I don't have the expertise to say exactly what it is about him, but this is kind of my impression of the videos posted, myself.

Now, I'll freely admit. There's lots of things that go into "I like it" or "I don't like it". Maybe if he was singing a song I liked, I'd like it.

When I was looking for the Super Bowl commercial, I got 15 seconds or so of "Little Drummer Boy", and that was pretty good.

But the three clips posted in this thread? Didn't do much for me.

(Which may well say more about me than about him. I dunno.)

I'll go find some more music I like. :)

It wasn't to showcase his music. I get if you don't like the type of music he sings. I can understand you hating Justin Bieber because you hate pop music. I don't care if you like the music. It is to show that he is VOCALLY talented. You can't say he is a bad singer.

What? Your average kid using a karaoke machine? So you think Usher took some average kid with some average voice under his wing?

You referenced Britney Spears a few posts back. She was hot. She put on a great show. She did a lot of things. She couldn't sing, yet people bought her music. Then you have people on the other side of the spectrum who can belt out to the heavens, but may be unattractive, overweight, don't have a lot of charisma, etc Sometimes it takes more than vocals to be a successful artist

As if Usher is some kind of legendary artist.

What a joke.

We get it. You like the ****ty pop stuff. So go listen to it.

Usher is one of the best male vocalists of the last 20+ years...

I read what you wrote. You think he sings well. He sings about as well as an average high school kid who has a good voice.

well, at least you admit he has a good voice, then....that's all I care about. Good voice=talent. If you think high school kids sound like him, you should get them to sign up for American Idol, because they'd be millionaires right now.

We have different music tastes. Who cares? I'm not trying to get people on to pop. I'm trying to say that bashing Bieber for not being talented is bull****.

My point about Johny Cash was to point out that "talent" is a very nebulous thing.

Johny Cash did not, in any way, have a voice that fits the profile for "great singer".

But there was something about his voice, that people wanted to listen to, anyway.

What I'm trying to say is that there's a big difference between "voice doesn't fit the classic mold" and "no talent".

Johny Cash "couldn't sing". But he had talent. It wasn't his guitar playing (I assume.) It wasn't his stage show. (He sold millions of records to people who would never see him on stage.)

There was something about his voice, that people wanted to hear.

You referenced Britney Spears a few posts back. She was hot. She put on a great show. She did a lot of things. She couldn't sing, yet people bought her music. Then you have people on the other side of the spectrum who can belt out to the heavens, but may be unattractive, overweight, don't have a lot of charisma, etc Sometimes it takes more than vocals to be a successful artist..

I understand this. Justin Bieber is famous for ALL of the above. He puts on a great show, he has a huge fan base, he is attractive (to some people's standards), has charisma, is backed by Usher and other big names in the business, AND he can sing.

well, at least you admit he has a good voice, then....that's all I care about. Good voice=talent. If you think high school kids sound like him, you should get them to sign up for American Idol, because they'd be millionaires right now.

Theres being talented. And then theres being talented enough to be called good.

And AI is a joke too.

My point about Johny Cash was to point out that "talent" is a very nebulous thing.

Johny Cash did not, in any way, have a voice that fits the profile for "great singer".

But there was something about his voice, that people wanted to listen to, anyway.

What I'm trying to say is that there's a big difference between "voice doesn't fit the classic mold" and "no talent".

Johny Cash "couldn't sing". But he had talent. It wasn't his guitar playing (I assume.) It wasn't his stage show. (He sold millions of records to people who would never see him on stage.)

There was something about his voice, that people wanted to hear.

I can get that. Why else would I have loved Rancid back in the day? They sucked, really. But I loved their music. There are others that I like, but I will admit that they aren't great singers. I'm just saying people saying they hate JB bc he has no talent are flat out wrong. While you might not think he's the best singer out there (and he's definitely NOT), he has a good voice. Even Bonecrusher admitted that. Good voice equals talent, straight up. Saying he sucks for your personal preference in music is one thing, but calling him a no talented hack is another.

---------- Post added May-19th-2012 at 04:04 PM ----------

Theres being talented. And then theres being talented enough to be called good.

And AI is a joke too.

and your examples of good bands are......

Random Thought: It's 12;55 in the AM and folk are arguing the toss over Justin freaking Bieber of all people.

Well, I tried to turn it into a Mandy Patinkin discussion.

Some people simply don't know talent when they hear it.

:)

I understand this. Justin Bieber is famous for ALL of the above. He puts on a great show, he has a huge fan base, he is attractive (to some people's standards), has charisma, is backed by Usher and other big names in the business, AND he can sing.

But can you see him using this same kind of material 10 years from now, when his current target audience will be grown women, and still have that current "it" factor?

Disregarding what you think of his talent right now, would you react to him the same way you would if you listened to someone like R Kelly/Legend/ Robin Thicke? Would it be awkward if he stuck to his current stuff into his late 20's/early 30's? I think his voice will sound a lot different by then. Would you take him seriously?

I can get that. Why else would I have loved Rancid back in the day? They sucked, really. But I loved their music. There are others that I like, but I will admit that they aren't great singers. I'm just saying people saying they hate JB bc he has no talent are flat out wrong. While you might not think he's the best singer out there (and he's definitely NOT), he has a good voice. Even Bonecrusher admitted that. Good voice equals talent, straight up. Saying he sucks for your personal preference in music is one thing, but calling him a no talented hack is another.

I did not say that he had a good voice. I said he has a voice that compared to the average high school kid whose peers think sings well. Far from good.

and your examples of good bands are......

These days. Not many. I like Joe Bonamassa. And Derek Trucks, and the whole modern Allman Bros Band scene.

has fallen the entire time you have been alive?

I'm not a fan of much music made since I've been alive. I'm more with the mid 60's to mid 70's style of music. The blues and classic rock era.

Aren't you the guy with Coldplay sigs a lot of the time?

:ols:

? Yes

Let me guess what you are about to say

"They are Radiohead knockoffs"

"It isn't "Rock"

"They did a few songs with Jay Z/Kanye, so I don't like them anymore"

"Their songs are too peaceful"

"Chris Martins hair looks funny"

Pick one

? Yes

Let me guess what you are about to say

"They are Radiohead knockoffs"

"It isn't "Rock"

"They did a few songs with Jay Z/Kanye, so I don't like them anymore"

"Their songs are too peaceful"

"Chris Martins hair looks funny"

Pick one

Don't like Radiohead either. Could care less. Opinion wouldn't have changed.

Could care less. Opinion wouldn't have changed.

But can you see him using this same kind of material 10 years from now, when his current target audience will be grown women, and still have that current "it" factor?

Disregarding what you think of his talent right now, would you react to him the same way you would if you listened to someone like R Kelly/Legend/ Robin Thicke? Would it be awkward if he stuck to his current stuff into his late 20's/early 30's? I think his voice will sound a lot different by then. Would you take him seriously?

Of course if he still tried to sing stuff like "Baby" and "Never Say Never" when he was in his 20s and 30s, people wouldn't take him seriously (including me). He was 14 when he got discovered, and he sang to his demographic, tween and teen girls.

"Boyfriend" is the first single from his new album, and it is obvious that he is starting to adopt a new sound to account for his age and for a new generation of his "beliebers". Those tweens who loved him are not going to stop as they get older. He will change with the times. He will stay relevant- he is collaborating with artists with different sounds and soon he is going to move away from pop and into hip-hop.

---------- Post added May-19th-2012 at 04:34 PM ----------

Don't like Radiohead either. Could care less. Opinion wouldn't have changed.

couldn't* care less

I will admit. I am not a fan of pop, though I do make some exceptions. Like I said though, I kinda liked the "Boyfriend" song though, just not the vocals. I feel slightly uncomfortable after saying that, but whatever.

It's rumored his new album (comes out in June) has Drake (not my favorite), Kanye, Ludacris, and Lil Wayne, among others.

I'm actually not a big fan of "Boyfriend"...I just don't like the tune that much. I love r&b, and I think that is what JB will end up doing. I just want him to get rid of his skinny jeans and high tops.

and you mentioned R.Kelly a while ago....he is my favorite of all time. JB doesn't hold a candle to R.Kelly.

Now THAT'S a voice. (Even if he is an egotistical, arrogant SOB.).

Hail.

Well, now. So many possible reactions to that claim of some very off-stage knowledge.

But I'll observe that maybe, after you've been the star of what I think was, at least, the most successful production on Broadway, and have had the greatest line in all of the cinema, then maybe it's not arrogance.

Me, I don't care what he's like when he's not performing. (Well, I suppose I'd care if he was a child molester or some such.)

Archived