Washington Football Team Logo
Extremeskins

Random Thought Thread

say a highly touted college player who was going to be drafted in the top 10 decides he likes a certain team, wants to control his destiny, and doesnt enter the draft. Are there any rules against a team signing him?

if its possible, how come we dont see that happening more? say the Colts decide they wanted to draft Andrew Luck to groom under Manning (before Peyton went down with the neck injury, and they were doing well like normal), what's stopping them from telling Luck to stay out of the draft and they'll give him xx contract?

I'm assuming that you have to have declared for the draft to be eligible to be signed.

Yeah, I agree with you about having depth. However, I think eventually Mike is gonna have to settle on one of these guys. Or at least two. Not sure I like the idea of rotating 3 RBs in every week. That's like the whole thing about going with 2 QBs. If you have two, you really don't have one. If that makes sense.

Well I would agree with you if they each didn't bring something different to the table...

Hightower is your classic do everything, all around solid RB: pass protection, receiving, running, etc. Helu has the homerun factor going for him, not to mention that he seems to be more effective than Hightower at running between the tackles, and breaking tackles with his power, which people don't really give him credit for. Then you have Torain, who's your workhorse, your bruiser. He has a great first step, and although he isn't as quick/slippery as Hightower or as fast as Helu, he makes up for it with power, great vision, and for his size, he has great cutting ability, and hits the hole with authority, while Hightower and Helu are more opportunistic.

I actually think Shanahan may have been saving Torain for when he was entirely healthy. Either way, we have three valuable guys at the RB position, who are all pretty solid in pass protection, and that's pretty hard to come by.

The Jets look like complete ****

Yeah, and I sort of called it in the offseason. Everyone remembers their two straight AFC Championship games, but fail to point out that they barely made it both times, struggling at times during the regular season, and that was with a better defense, and a better running game. Sanchez, in his 3rd season, still looks like he needs training wheels. Rex's feet are going to get a little warm this season.

In fact, a lot of my predictions are holding up so far. I said that the Eagles would most likely struggle for the first month of the season, though they appear to be worse than I thought they would be. The Falcons, as I said, look to not be as good as they were last year, and the Saints, while they still have issues on defense, look to be the best team in that division so far.

Edited by Mr. Sinister
I'm assuming that you have to have declared for the draft to be eligible to be signed.

Everyone without college eligibility is automatically eligible for the NFL draft (they can be drafted). You don't have to enter the draft if you have exhausted your eligibility.

You only become a free agent immediately if you are not drafted. If you are drafted, the rights belong to that team for the year. If you don't sign with that team, you are automatically reentered into the draft pool for a subsequent year.

After 2 drafts (provided you are drafted in year 2 also), and fail to sign, you would become a UFA for the 3rd year.

Edited by The Evil Genius
Everyone without college eligibility is automatically eligible for the NFL draft (they can be drafted). You don't have to enter the draft if you have exhausted your eligibility.

You only become a free agent immediately if you are not drafted. If you are drafted, the rights belong to that team for the year. If you don't sign with that team, you are automatically reentered into the draft pool for a subsequent year.

After 2 drafts (provided you are drafted in year 2 also), and fail to sign, you would become a UFA for the 3rd year.

Right, so no way of bypassing the draft to pick which team you want to play for. Unless of course you want to be a whiney ***** like Eli....

edit: I never realized you were automatically eligible to be drafted once you use up your NCAA eligibility. I always thought you had to like sign a paper saying I want to enter it. Learn something new every day.

Edited by renaissance

Re: NFL.com: Austin, Bryant better than Megatron? Cowboys' Ryan says yes

Before anyone reads this can you please make a new thread of this for me because for some reason I can't post new threads and entitle it : I GIVE UP

I give up.

I have been a cowboys fan since i was 5 years old. I have tried so many times to stick it out with Romo

Well Mr Clutch, Mr Meltdown, etc... does it again. As soon as he threw that first pick for six I started to get the old feeling back -- you know the one --where Tony blows the game. Of course it's a team sport so he had a lot of help. Like the offensive coordinator and head coach Jason Garrett. Why with 10 minutes left in the 3rd quarter (with a 24 point lead) do you call sideline pass plays and why would Tony ever think he is good enough to pass into double coverage? They already had a fairly decent running game established. They should have just ran the ball down Detroits throat until they figured out a way to stop them. But no, Garrett lets good old Tony start slinging the ball around and those two pick six's brought life back into Detroit. I realize that we don't have any better options at this time than Tony but with luck someone in the Cowboys organization will start thinking about drafting a Quarterback. Romo isn't a starting Quarterback but he would make an OK backup or third string Quarterback. Jerry Jones, it's time to start thinking about the team and not Romo's feelings...

Im so sick of Jerry Jones defending him and Jason Garrett saying " We beleive in Tony this team beleieves in Tony" JUST STOP im DONE.

Atleast when the Eagles lost yesterday this is what Andy Reid said:

"It was terrible coaching and we played bad, it was a terrible coaching performance"

Mike Vick went on to say "It's something I need to do better I take the blame"

Romo can't even say "I'm sorry to the fan's Im sorry for blowing this... not once.. unreal. Im DONE.

I CANT WATCH A TEAM WITH A DELUSIONAL OWNER ANYMORE.. HE IS WORSE THAN AL DAVIS

“There’s no issue about faith in Romo in any place in this organization, period. Any place. There’s no issue regarding Tony,” Jones said. “I had all the confidence in the world on the last drive that he gives us the best chance to go down and score a touchdown. Didn’t get it done, but we have a lot of faith in Romo.”

"As Romo goes We go"

Well guess what? Not me.

Redskins fans can complain all they want about 5-11 season or 6-10 season the past 6 years...

Well guess what having a mediocore team and not having 1 playoff win and boched snaps in Seattle and the chokes by Romo vs philadelphia to get in the playoffs couple years ago.. Seattle.. Minnesota... IS 10 TIMES WORSE... gives us ****ty draft picks and rips your heart out.

I'm done I'm following the Redskins now... I can't take it anymore... Just out of spite to Jerry and Tony, its going to be so hard to quit on the team I have loved for 20 years but I just can't take it.... as much as I hate doing this...

I GIVE UP The Redskins FANS are 100% right YOU WIN I GIVE UP

I have already thrown out all of my cowboys gear.. 1000's of dollars worth of stuff after the press conferences last night...

I speak on behalf of most cowboys fans... but I'm willing to give in and give in to the redskins.

He quit rooting for the Cowboys and became a Skins fan? Sounds a little shady. You're damaged goods anyways, too much time spent being poisoned by the enemy. Welcome to Fan Purgatory...

If you're serious about this, I would think that being baptized in a pool of water with a bottle or two of Purple Power, while wearing a Darrell Green jersey, would be a good start.

Edited by Mr. Sinister

I would just like to say that after this afternoon, I officially hate myself. On the way out, she said "are we gonna do this again?" I SAID, "maybe." I hope she couldn't hear my brain screaming "Oh holy ****ing mother of all that is good and holy, not in a million ****ing years!!!!" :ols:

I guess we all have to have one of those, and now I can say I do too. :doh:

So my friend calls some cute Brazilian friend to come sit with us. So right after she arrives he's already out the door with her as he staring back all defensively. Obviously he's trying to get with this girl(who knows if she even knows that). I swear just because I'm single doesn't mean I'm coming after every cute girl that comes within a 5 ft radius of me. I swear some guys get too protective. Does he think I'm gonna turn around and say, "Hey why hang with this loser when you can go out with me?" Some guys need to read the Man Code again.

Edited by RichmondRedskin88
  • Jumbo changed the title to Random Thought Thread
  • Jumbo locked this topic
  • Jumbo unlocked this topic