Washington Football Team Logo
Extremeskins

Random Thought Thread

stevenaa

In that movie Cera plays an ass-kicking, womanizing bass player of a gritty rock band. From what I could tell, the character was supposed to be a badass, but for some reason they cast the biggest dork in Hollywood to play him. The movie was still decent IMO, but would have been a whole lot better with a lead actor that made sense.
Amen to that. Now, if they were going for someone who COULD play a gawky kid OR a badass, why not Tobey McGuire. He worked as Spider-Man.

In that movie Cera plays an ass-kicking, womanizing bass player of a gritty rock band. From what I could tell, the character was supposed to be a badass, but for some reason they cast the biggest dork in Hollywood to play him. The movie was still decent IMO, but would have been a whole lot better with a lead actor that made sense.

Huh?

He's a "womanizer" because he keeps hooking up with random girls (including a high schooler out of desperation, which causes his friends to make fun of him throughout the film) due to the fact that he's moping around after his last ex-girlfriend dumped him and broke his heart, and he uses other sad one-night stands to try and get over her. The ways he defeats his new girlfriend's exes is usually through tricking them into basically beating themselves.

No offense, but if you thought Scott Pilgrim was supposed to be a legit badass, you took the character and the movie the wrong way.

---------- Post added January-18th-2011 at 12:46 PM ----------

Amen to that. Now, if they were going for someone who COULD play a gawky kid OR a badass, why not Tobey McGuire. He worked as Spider-Man.

Tobey McGuire is 35 years old. Scott Pilgrim is supposed to be 23 (Cera, for reference, is 22).

They're not even using McGuire for the new Spider-Man film, partly because he grew too old for the role.

Huh?

He's a "womanizer" because he keeps hooking up with random girls (including a high schooler out of desperation, which causes his friends to make fun of him throughout the film) due to the fact that he's moping around after his last ex-girlfriend dumped him and broke his heart, and he uses other sad one-night stands to try and get over her. The ways he defeats his new girlfriend's exes is usually through tricking them into basically beating themselves.

No offense, but if you thought Scott Pilgrim was supposed to be a legit badass, you took the character and the movie the wrong way.

---------- Post added January-18th-2011 at 12:46 PM ----------

How is that not the exact definition of a womanizer? The dude bangs any and every girl that he wants, and ditches them soon after. He gets more ass than Wilt Chamberlain.

Then he gets wasted at the bar, goes up on stage and shreds, and uses expert martial arts skills to fight bad guys.

The only thing non-badass about Scott Pilgrim was that he was played by Michael Cera. If he were played by almost any other actor this wouldn't be a question. If Rick Moranis played Tony Montana, that wouldn't mean Scarface was a dork, it would mean somebody did a horrible job of casting.

Man I accepted the friend request of my uncle's girlfriend on facebook but the dumb ho is kinda crazy and is named Granny Goodwitch. Then she proceeded to comment on like EVERY photo I have on my wall. I don't want my friends seeing that ****. I just deleted all of them....looks like I'll be making my first unfriendship.

How is that not the exact definition of a womanizer? The dude bangs any and every girl that he wants, and ditches them soon after. He gets more ass than Wilt Chamberlain.

Then he gets wasted at the bar, goes up on stage and shreds, and uses expert martial arts skills to fight bad guys.

The only thing non-badass about Scott Pilgrim was that he was played by Michael Cera. If he were played by almost any other actor this wouldn't be a question. If Rick Moranis played Tony Montana, that wouldn't mean Scarface was a dork, it would mean somebody did a horrible job of casting.

Because he doesn't hook up with any and every girl he wants. He's stooped so low that he's dating a high schooler, which his friends point out to him is his new rock bottom of despair. He's a slacker who lives on his friend's couch and doesn't even own anything except his bass guitar.

Tony Montana and Scott Pilgrim are written as just about the two most polar opposite sort of characters possible, so that casting analogy really doesn't apply. Your logic there is backwards- Scott Pilgrim is played by Michael Cera, because Scott Pilgrim is a dorky sort of character. That's why his ex-girlfriend Envy, who started the whole mess for him, left him in the first place: she became a popular rock singer and he was too uncool and too much of a deadbeat for her.

I really don't know where you could possibly get this stuff about him being a badass from. It seriously goes directly against almost the entire point of the story.

---------- Post added January-18th-2011 at 11:18 PM ----------

I hate the new Tim Tebow commercial for the FRS energy drink.

"They said I couldn't get a D-1 scholarship...they said I couldn't win a Heisman...they said I couldn't win a national title..."

Nobody ever said those things. Tebow was a 2 time Florida High School Player of the Year and a 5 star recruit. He could have picked anywhere in the country to play college football. He was also a prototypical fit for Dan Mullen's offense under Urban Meyer and was surrounded by absurdly good talent at UF.

I never really found her all that attractive when she was younger, but Valerie Burtonelli got girl-next-door smoking hot.

I was the same way with Brooke Shields. Never "got" her as a teenager, but she really grew into herself, IMO.

I like Brooke Shields. For a woman in her mid 40's, she looked sexy as hell in those Volkswagen Routon commercials a couple years ago.

I forgot about those. She did look pretty damn good. Plus they were funny commercials:

_KqEg1iCfKo

---------- Post added January-19th-2011 at 12:22 AM ----------

I've been watching some Buffy the Vampire Slayer episodes and I never noticed how hot Sarah Michelle Gellar is.

Well, actually she's not really HOT but I do find her to be really cute.

I was always too busy checking out Charisma Carpenter to notice the rest of the cast (yes, even Gellar most of the time).

I never thought anything of Alyson Hannigan while she was on that show, but I've seen her a few times in How I Met Your Mother and I think she's become pretty attractive. Of course, they also played her up on Buffy as a nerdy witch, which probably didn't help.

I think Brooke is attractive enough but she never blew me away with her beauty.

To each his own I guess. I'm a firm believer that some women better with age though, and right now, she is hot (IMO). The fact that I'm an absolute sucker for brunettes may also have something to do with it to, lol.

Man I accepted the friend request of my uncle's girlfriend on facebook but the dumb ho is kinda crazy and is named Granny Goodwitch. Then she proceeded to comment on like EVERY photo I have on my wall. I don't want my friends seeing that ****. I just deleted all of them....looks like I'll be making my first unfriendship.

The first one is always the toughest.

Rofl

If some L.A.-area teachers wondered where their students were Tuesday, maybe they can blame Stephen Hawking.

With his computerized voice, motorized wheelchair and an intellect that seems to leave mortal men far behind, Hawking is among the best-known physicists ever. Die-hard fans, many of them youthful, started lining up early in the morning to get coveted free tickets to hear him speak at Caltech Tuesday night, school be damned.

"He'll have much better things to say than our teachers," said Palomar College engineering student Ashley Davis, who skipped class to drive up from San Marcos with three classmates for what has become an annual event at the Pasadena campus.

"It's like seeing the nerd pope!" offered Evan Hetland, 13, a self-professed physics fan who came with the Shatkin family of Valencia. Fifteen-year-old Steven Shatkin sat nearby in a chair doing his science homework, holding the enviable second-position-in-line for his family, huddled in the shade.

By 2:30, three dozen people were sitting outside Beckman Auditorium, chatting with friends, playing cards and reading books. One woman did needlework.

Needlework

In this day and age?

---------- Post added January-19th-2011 at 08:00 AM ----------

And how do teams still get "Delay of Game" in the modern era

There's a damn clock on the scoreboard, you can't see it?

HEY GUYS

WE HAVE LESS THAN 10 SECONDS TO HIKE, WE MIGHT WANT TO GET A PLAY OFF INSTEAD OF STANDING IDLY BEHIND CENTER

The play clock allows more than enough time to get a play in, especially with all the playcalls being conveyed over radio now...so how do you not receive the play, set everyone up, and hike the ball within the clock

Makes no sense

Would you try Human cheese?

http://www.miriamsimun.com/humancheese

Airily aged in a room high above the east village while the cheese is still very young, this tough little cheese is a human-cow blend. Made from the milk of a kind young mother of Chinese descent hailing from midtown Manhattan, and a cow born and raised in the Catskills. Between working in private equity and eating lots of sweets, this mother has retained hints of her pregnant plumpness, producing a sweet, creamy milk, a delightful balance to the grassy cow milk it intermingles with. Sweet airy equity is a mild hard cheese that crumbles in your mouth, with a smooth lingering finish that leaves only the slightest hint of walnut on your tongue.

You know what, reading in some of the threads in the Stadium a few minutes ago, I am glad that I am in the Tailgate now.

There are a handful of posters in there amongst the vastness of irrationality who I have come to respect over the years, KDawg probably being the main one. But there are a few guys in there who irk me from time to time, especially one who resides in Delaware, and who's username is a new, overused expression.

They constantly beat their chest out over the internet, like an 8 year old kid that just won his fifth straight spelling bee, needlessly hurling insults left and right, calling peoples character into question, just because their opinion is different from theirs. They are not unique. Their opinion is just that, an opinion, not the ****ing Ten Commandments. They are on a football message board, not 60 Minutes.

I'd love to get drawn into a debate with them, just to see whether or not they can take as much as they like to dish out.

Just my completely random thought.

You know what, reading in some of the threads in the Stadium a few minutes ago, I am glad that I am in the Tailgate now.

I can barely ever deal with the Stadium simply because the general football IQ in there is so low. And I don't mean that like "Spartacus87 is so much smarter than everyone else," I mean a lot of people who post in that forum are really just clueless about building a football team, maintaining said team, managing player development/acquisition, etc. But rather than really try to learn about anything and have in-depth rational discussions with valid back and forth points, people want to post drive-by insults or pointless comments without returning to a thread. I disagree with just about every take darrellgreenie has on a topic, but at least he sticks around in threads and writes out long posts with some sort of evidence defending his points. Same with ASF and his methods and "systems." It seems like most of the intelligent posters just hang out in the Tailgate section.

I think my favorite common threads on this board are the college football ones. A lot of good discussion goes on and it's usually between a fairly small group of posters, so good posts don't get washed out like they do in threads in the Stadium when a thread goes from 3 pages to 7 pages in a couple of hours.

You're right about KDawg being a pretty cool dude that posts there though. He doesn't seem to post as often anymore though.

---------- Post added January-20th-2011 at 04:16 AM ----------

KPmavtqcsDg

Spartacus should honestly be one of the talking heads on the pre-game shows

He breaks down football so well and I consider him one of the best football minds on ES

Anyway Stadium is an unsafe place to be most of the time lol

As for KDawg that guy is legit, big chat expert KDawg

Many times I saw him talk in the chat about the Stadium and arguments lol

http://content.usatoday.com/communities/campusrivalry/post/2011/01/malcolm-delaney-maryland-worst-fans-ever-virginia-tech-/1

Teammate Malcolm Delaney knows that playing on the road at Maryland is always a hostile environment, but the Hokies senior went a step further.

"They (Maryland fans) say anything that comes to mind," Delaney said, according to the Richmond Times-Dispatch. "They might have the worst fans ever. Duke is loud because the gym is so small, but Maryland might have the worst fans."

Delaney said that even when he was being recruited for college and took a trip to College Park, Terps fans were vicious.

"They say a lot of disrespectful stuff," Delaney said. "Even when they were recruiting me, I went to a game where they played Duke and they were reckless. So I'm not surprised by anything they say."

Hmm.

Archived