Washington Football Team Logo
Extremeskins

Random Thought Thread

stevenaa

8 minutes ago, Kosher Ham said:

Perhaps they are busy? 

I hate when folks don't leave a voicemail. Saves time. 

Not to mention a lot of people....over-text. It's annoying. 

I hate when folks leave voicemail.  If I don't answer, leave me a text.

50 minutes ago, Kosher Ham said:

That's fine. At the same time... Don't be upset if I don't respond quickly. 

Agreed.  Texts are inherently asynchronous.  That's one of their benefits.  If you want an immediate response, call me.  If I don't answer, it's because I'm not immediately available.

8 minutes ago, Mr. Sinister said:

Because of bammas like poker and kosher they'll probably be a market for android pigeons that viciously peck at your forehead if you don't open the letter and read it right there

You'll be more likely to get a response from me if you send a Gentoo penguin.

13 minutes ago, Mr. Sinister said:

Nah.... Penguins look lke thr type of animal thats cute and cuddly looking until you get a feet away and they squad up on you

I was working on another level there.  I chose to interpret 'Android' to be the Linux-based operating system.  So I decided to provide an alternative Linux-based operating system, Gentoo.  Conveniently, the Gentoo Penguin, like the Pigeon, is a bird, so it worked on both levels.

Also, this guy clearly wants cuddles.

ANT09_3653.jpg

23 minutes ago, PokerPacker said:

I was working on another level there.  I chose to interpret 'Android' to be the Linux-based operating system.  So I decided to provide an alternative Linux-based operating system, Gentoo. 

You're one of the few people that brings up Linux in here, couldn't just drive a stick instead of an automatic, that by itself wasn't challenging enough for you, huh?  Did you met Tux when you were a kid or like a lot of people who liked the box with the words in it and kept digging?  

I don't really go past Mint, Debian, and Kali anymore at home anymore, get enough RHEL at work, switching runlevels (or tagerts, whateverthe**** SystemD calls them now) to fix video driver issues is fun for a while then evolves into only fun if you fix it for me.  It's not as bad as how I feel about fixing cars now, its a time thing, and frustration with trying to make desktop OS pretty instead making sure they are functional, even xcfe does stupid ****.

Please keep making Linux jokes that only three or four people get, no one bumps the Random IT thread anymore.

13 minutes ago, PokerPacker said:

What if we just pissed off some penguins and they went ham and destroyed the planet?

Are we overdue for a remake of "The Birds"?

2 hours ago, Renegade7 said:

You're one of the few people that brings up Linux in here, couldn't just drive a stick instead of an automatic, that by itself wasn't challenging enough for you, huh?  Did you met Tux when you were a kid or like a lot of people who liked the box with the words in it and kept digging?  

In my defense, I stuck with Ubuntu or variants thereof for a good ten years or so.  I also played with a couple small-footprint distros on my netbook some number of years ago, but nothing serious.

I don't really go past Mint, Debian, and Kali anymore at home anymore, get enough RHEL at work, switching runlevels (or tagerts, whateverthe**** SystemD calls them now) to fix video driver issues is fun for a while then evolves into only fun if you fix it for me.  It's not as bad as how I feel about fixing cars now, its a time thing, and frustration with trying to make desktop OS pretty instead making sure they are functional, even xcfe does stupid ****.

Speaking of systemd, there's your #1 reason for why I'm on Gentoo now.  I'd been sticking with the Xubuntu 14.04 LTS as long as I could to avoid moving to systemd (granted it wasn't fully free of systemd, but at least it didn't own PID 1).  So earlier this year, I'd realized that 14.04 was going EOL soon, and an Ubuntu kernel update broke nvidia graphics again (curse ye nvidia; I'm going AMD next time and using their open source drivers), so I went ahead and booted into Gentoo that, while not in the greatest of states on my machine with circular dependencies blocking some stuff in portage, and having not updated it in a year, it at least still had a functioning graphics driver to get me through my period of need.

It definitely took a lot more work to get Gentoo up and running, but now that I've started to get the hang or Portage, it's been pretty smooth sailing.  Even the nvidia graphics haven't caused me any pain when I compile a new kernel.  Sure, Ubuntu would handle the nvidia graphics if you let it, but it tended to use outdated drivers and I think they would still break.  I think I'm going to really like the rolling-release aspect of Gentoo.  It was always a pain-in-the-ass to upgrade to a new release.

Please keep making Linux jokes that only three or four people get, no one bumps the Random IT thread anymore.

That's my specialty ;)

And speaking of Ubuntu issues and the Random IT thread... I may just bump that thread with Canonical's weekend stupidity.

The post interview waiting period is maddening. Granted, I work in the public sector where the process is exceedingly long...but I never know the appropriate time to reach out and inquire if a decision has been made. Especially when you don't always get a "thank you, but no" letter from the hiring person.

Archived