Washington Football Team Logo
Extremeskins

Random Thought Thread

stevenaa

There's a commercial I've heard a lot of, that begins with "95% of the oceans are still waiting to be discovered". 

I want to throw a brick brick through the TV. What utter BS. I'm absolutely certain that there isn't a single bit of ocean that we don't know exist. 

57 minutes ago, Larry said:

There's a commercial I've heard a lot of, that begins with "95% of the oceans are still waiting to be discovered". 

I want to throw a brick brick through the TV. What utter BS. I'm absolutely certain that there isn't a single bit of ocean that we don't know exist. 

He's right.  We haven't tested the depths of our oceans

7 hours ago, Larry said:

I'm suprised you actually believed that.  Have you googled that yet?

2 hours ago, skinsmarydu said:

Indian Ocean lost a plane. 

Seriously. There's more that we don't know than we do.

(Some English teacher somewhere just scratched their head & agreed. )

Go wid it. ?

Ya, different variations out there of "the more you know, more you realize you don't know anything."

3 hours ago, Renegade7 said:

I'm suprised you actually believed that.  Have you googled that yet?

When was the last time somebody discovered an ocean?  

And if we haven't discovered them, then how do we know that the five we know about are only 5% of them?  

Clearly this commercial is about our beloved @skinsmarydu ...

( Ignore the finger...it isn't there)... (subliminal message sent)...

I ask that you gentlemen...watch some of their other commercials...the banned one is kind of NSFW...but hillarious as well. 

Some of the language is not safe for work in many of their videos. Some of their images might be offensive to some, they do make good coffee it seems though. Have to check it out. I'll let you know. 

3 hours ago, Larry said:

When was the last time somebody discovered an ocean?  

And if we haven't discovered them, then how do we know that the five we know about are only 5% of them?  

Are you literally outsmarting yourself right now?  You'd know the answer to this if you'd just googled it like a recommended?  The bottom of the oceans are typically pitch black with an amount of pressure that prevents exploring by the typical conventional means used on the continental shelf.  As much time as it took to find the Titanic, and how every time we go down there we find a new species, this has nothing to do with finding a new ocean.   We're talking about 71% of the planet, we're still finding stuff on land we didn't know about for crying out loud.  You're sounding like you just don't understand the question you are asking.

I actually agree with Larry (in a way)

"95% of the oceans are still waiting to be discovered"

"Discovered" implies found. Found requires the bare minimum of observation. We've discovered/found every ocean on this planet. 

Discovery is always the first step. I can discover a new jungle. I still have to walk through it, chart it, catalog its new species, then understand how each of them have adapted to fit their environment. This is the step is where you delve deeper into your understanding, and where the issue lies. We haven't Explored enough of our oceans, compared to places beyond even our own planet, but Explored wasnt the word used, it was Discovered (which I think was wrong)

If we someday further develop our space program and have a colony/mining operation on the Moon, would we say "X company is the first to discover the moon?" I don't think so. We have seen it, for thousands of years. We've flown near it. We've landed on it. We've walked on it.

We have discovered the oceans. We've sailed on them. We've charted them. We've even explored them, just not to the depths that are necessary to further our understanding of what else may be down there. However, the "what else"itself is what will be discovered, as we further explore the long discovered ocean it is a part of.

Archived