stevenaa

Random Thought Thread

Recommended Posts

Threw a house warming at my girl and I's new place last night. Ate a lot, drank a lot, partied a lot. Worth.

  • Like 5

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

Watching Thee 2000's on CNN.  Realized I was deployed most of that decade.  Don't even know a lot of the stuff they are mentioning. 

  • Like 1

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
2 hours ago, Dr. Do Itch Big said:

I don’t like her eyebrows 

 

She's just noticing your pockets. She didn't mind the ankles. 

  • Haha 1

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

Decisions to make...never easy

 

I am really tempted to drive up to Portland and rent an apartment. Then move all my stuff, then rent my house in LA. It would be a complete leap of faith. I don't know anyone up there but I want to do and see something new. I have a job interview at Goodwill on Tuesday but I'm not sure I want the job. Commuting my face off in LA isn't all that intriguing anymore. Only good thing about here is I have my house with a big backyard so I can get a dog if I want.

 

I can also go visit my beautiful special lady friend in Ixtapa. Decisions decisions decisions ?

  • Like 1

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

_____________----------,

 

Why is your post full of... 

 

And then, and then, and then??? 

 

Movie reference. 

 

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

Watched Bladerunner 2049 last night.  I know I'll get ripped for saying this, but I really liked it. I understand how the purist originalist fans might stick their nose up at it, but I thought it was well written and acted. Dragged a bit at times, but not unbearably, and quite frankly, the original had some cheesy melodrama that this one thankfully avoided.

  • Like 2

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

Yall ever took noticeably less money for noticeably less stress? 

 

I'm in a position now where my company doesnt give me the help I need but I make OK cheese. Enough that it keeps me. 

 

But I have literally been off for 2 weeks and last night I couldnt really sleep, I woke up in a pool of my own sweat and I already feel sick. So its obviously stress, right? 

 

I had been thinking about quitting but it's real now. But I have never taken a job for less money in 15 years so I'm a bit worried about it. Need advice. 

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
2 minutes ago, Riggo-toni said:

Watched Bladerunner 2049 last night.  I know I'll get ripped for saying this, but I really liked it. I understand how the purist originalist fans might stick their nose up at it, but I thought it was well written and acted. Dragged a bit at times, but not unbearably, and quite frankly, the original had some cheesy melodrama that this one thankfully avoided.

 

It’s a fine film that suffers by comparison to the original.  No shame in that.*

 

*Jared Leto sucks, tho.

  • Like 1

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
5 minutes ago, Llevron said:

Yall ever took noticeably less money for noticeably less stress? 

 

I'm in a position now where my company doesnt give me the help I need but I make OK cheese. Enough that it keeps me. 

 

But I have literally been off for 2 weeks and last night I couldnt really sleep, I woke up in a pool of my own sweat and I already feel sick. So its obviously stress, right? 

 

I had been thinking about quitting but it's real now. But I have never taken a job for less money in 15 years so I'm a bit worried about it. Need advice. 

Yep. Moved to the country to be closer to my wife's family. Job is low stress, but less money than I'd make swimming with the sharks. But we're decently frugal, great at budgeting, and disciplined spending—so we make it work. I have a second "job"—it's a passion project and I do it by choice, lucky to be paid for it. 

 

There are obviously trade-offs. The sheer cost of things is daunting sometimes; home repairs, private schooling, saving for college, saving for retirement, etc.—all need a piece of the budgetary pie. 

 

But you could also go in the opposite direction: a job with less stress and more $$

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
13 minutes ago, Riggo-toni said:

Watched Bladerunner 2049 last night.  I know I'll get ripped for saying this, but I really liked it. I understand how the purist originalist fans might stick their nose up at it, but I thought it was well written and acted. Dragged a bit at times, but not unbearably, and quite frankly, the original had some cheesy melodrama that this one thankfully avoided.


I liked it as well.  The acting, and the atmosphere created by the music and the visuals.  I thought the production was off the chain. 

As you said, I get why purists might've looked down their noses at it, but I thought it was one of the stronger 70s/80s remake/continuation films we've had in a while.  Fury Road being another one. 

12 minutes ago, TryTheBeal! said:

 

*Jared Leto sucks, tho.

 

I love Jared Leto, great character actor, IMO.  But he was so wrong for BR49. 

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
16 minutes ago, Chew said:


I liked it as well.  The acting, and the atmosphere created by the music and the visuals.  I thought the production was off the chain. 

As you said, I get why purists might've looked down their noses at it, but I thought it was one of the stronger 70s/80s remake/continuation films we've had in a while.  Fury Road being another one. 

 

I love Jared Leto, great character actor, IMO.  But he was so wrong for BR49. 

 

As I understand, David Bowie was cast for the role before his passing.  Ah, what might have been...

  • Sad 1

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
32 minutes ago, Llevron said:

Yall ever took noticeably less money for noticeably less stress? 


Never.  I've always been of the mindset to take the high-paying but stressful/crappy job for at least a year or two to establish that high salary.  That way you can play the "I make x now, so I demand x or close to it" thing when applying for other jobs.  Establish the highest salary you can as early as possible to establish that higher wage demand, then find a more comfortable job to settle into with less stress but close to what you were making at the stressful gig. 

Money is more important than everything, and it's not even close.  My opinion, anyway. 

 

  • Like 1

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
Posted (edited)

Forced retirement resulted in less stress, although I had to move halfway across the country to afford to live and that's been pretty stressful.

 

I dealt with stress until I had a stroke. So my advice is to avoid stress. 

 

Find something that makes you happy. It's not always the most money. It can be where you live, who you live with, and what you do outside of work that truly makes us happy.

 

 

On another note, the POD is here, will be unloaded tomorrow. I will do a bit today.

Edited by LadySkinsFan
  • Like 2
  • Thanks 1

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
40 minutes ago, Elessar78 said:

 

But you could also go in the opposite direction: a job with less stress and more $$

 

Bruh if I could find that it would be amazing. That's what I want. Almost anything would be less stress than my current to be honest. 

 

 

11 minutes ago, Chew said:


Never.  I've always been of the mindset to take the high-paying but stressful/crappy job for at least a year or two to establish that high salary.  That way you can play the "I make x now, so I demand x or close to it" thing when applying for other jobs.  Establish the highest salary you can as early as possible to establish that higher wage demand, then find a more comfortable job to settle into with less stress but close to what you were making at the stressful gig. 

Money is more important than everything, and it's not even close.  My opinion, anyway. 

 

This is how i have lived my life until now really. The job I have currently, and have had for 3 years at this point, is really outside of my wheelhouse (went to school for IT, got promoted to office manager and all hell broke lose). But it paid well so I took it. 

 

Now I hate this **** and my chest hurts. But like you said I have enough experience and have been paid enough to demand more so I think in going to have to do that. 

 

3 minutes ago, LadySkinsFan said:

Forced retirement resulted in less stress, although I had to move halfway across the country to afford to live and that's been pretty stressful.

 

I dealt with stress until I had a stroke. So my advice is to avoid stress. 

 

Find something that makes you happy. It's not always the most money. It can be where you live, who you live with, and what you do outside of work that truly makes us happy.

 

 

The stroke is really what started this. Not mine, my nephews GF. Everyone knew she was putting too much stress on herself, then her body broke down and it scares the **** outta me. 

 

I'm 350+ pounds. I dont need extra stress on my heart and I can literally feel it some days. 

 

Also i missed the convo on the POD but I'm nosey. Enlighten me pls! 

 

  • Like 1

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

Stress kills. If it's the job (even if it isn't the job) thats getting to you, find a solution, so you can be there for your family, fully locked in.

  • Like 2

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

@Llevron. Didn't you used to do IT now more of a manager?  You done with IT?  Me jus moving back DC area got me more money for less stress, but job searching still half who you know.  You got your resume public yet?

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
36 minutes ago, Chew said:

Money is more important than everything, and it's not even close.  My opinion, anyway. 

 

Whoa. And we thought the Chewcumber was sawft. 

 

DelightfulUntimelyDeviltasmanian.gif

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
55 minutes ago, Llevron said:

Yall ever took noticeably less money for noticeably less stress? 

 

I'm in a position now where my company doesnt give me the help I need but I make OK cheese. Enough that it keeps me. 

 

But I have literally been off for 2 weeks and last night I couldnt really sleep, I woke up in a pool of my own sweat and I already feel sick. So its obviously stress, right? 

 

I had been thinking about quitting but it's real now. But I have never taken a job for less money in 15 years so I'm a bit worried about it. Need advice. 

 

A few times.  When I was an assistant manger at a Food Lion (this was back in 1999), I made a decent salary with bonus, given the year and being right out of college and 23 years old.  But once they transferred me to a real ****ty store,. I was always stressed out, working like 80+ hours a week, etc.  Put in a notice and went to work for Harris Teeter as a produce manager for a lot less.  Made a lateral move back to Food Lion and was getting burned out there as a produce mgr. and took a $1.50 per hour pay cut to start the job I'm at now (and have been at the last 16 years).

 

Also stepped out of management at my current job due to wanting to go back to get my masters degree and be able to work from home when our daughter was born, but stress did play a factor in changing my path.  I took a 17% pay-cut to step down (this was in 2010), but over the next couple of years, with annual raises and OT, I was making right around the bottom of the range for management pay.  But was hourly and stress free for the most part.

 

My advice on this is don't make any major changes on a whim, like really think it through and come up with a plan first (which I'm sure you have/will).  Crunch the numbers and make sure that you got all your expenses covered and enough left over to actually be able to go out and enjoy things (dinner, movies, etc.).  Cutting back is never fun, but if you are used to doing what you want and going out all the time, buying this or that (and not necessarily talking about being a big spender either) and you go cold turkey and have no budget to go out to eat every once in a while, it can be very depressing (been there).

 

With all that said, your health and happiness are important.  I wish you all the luck broski.

  • Like 2

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
Posted (edited)

Can't enjoy that money if you always working or dead. 

 

Edit: I never went backward in pay in IT, stick around until leaving makes sense (getting too good at it), but lesson I learned from working two full time jobs was the money was never worth the time you didn't have to use it.  Got a lot done, but I would've tried like hell at a different route if it wasn't while recession was in full swing.

Edited by Renegade7
  • Like 1

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
9 minutes ago, Elessar78 said:

Whoa. And we thought the Chewcumber was sawft. 


Oh, I'm sawft.  I'm a hugger.  If you tried to shake my hand, I'd slap it away and pull you in.  :ols:

  • Haha 2

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
31 minutes ago, Llevron said:

 

Also i missed the convo on the POD but I'm nosey. Enlighten me pls! 

 

 

I used the PODS company to move my stuff. Pretty neat system, you put your stuff into a POD container, they have different sizes depending on the mileage of your move, there's a drop off charge, a pick up and move charge, a drop off charge at your new place, then a final pickup charge I believe. It's very detailed and you know up front what you'll pay. A friend of mine used them when she moved to AZ. 

 

A variable for me is that I didn't have an apartment yet so I didn't know the drop off charge until I scheduled it, but it wasn't much more than they estimated. My POD was located in Round Rock for about two months due to delayed closing and finding an apartment.

 

They delivered to my gated complex.  Tomorrow movers are coming to unload it. PODS sent me three companies that handle unloading and I chose one. Most of my stuff is in bins and boxes so it should go smoothly.

 

If you are moving, call them for a quote and see if it works for you. 

  • Like 1

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

Create an account or sign in to comment

You need to be a member in order to leave a comment

Create an account

Sign up for a new account in our community. It's easy!

Register a new account

Sign in

Already have an account? Sign in here.

Sign In Now

  • Recently Browsing   0 members

    No registered users viewing this page.