stevenaa

Random Thought Thread

Might be moving back to the DMV area soon.  Just got laid off yesterday (woo, how fun; move half way across the country for a company only to be laid off after less than a year), so the only thing tying me to Texas at this point is the apartment lease and all of my stuff within said apartment.

My friend is trying to get me to run this half marathon with her.  It's called the DC Half and Half Marathon.  It's actually a pretty cool concept.  You run 6.55 miles to Ben's Chili Bowl, crush a half smoke with chili, onions, and mustard along with some chips.  Once you finish, you head back and run 6.55 more miles.

It's in 2 months, so I think I can cram enough running to be prepared for this.

I also really want to do a Beer Mile.  With that race, you chug a can of beer then run 1/4 mile, then chug another beer, run 1/4 mile, etc. until completion. 

37 minutes ago, CBass1724 said:

That sucks, dude.  Was there at least a severance package?

Nope

33 minutes ago, Dr. Do Itch Big said:

What happened bruh? Do you want to talk about?

Company had been on a hiring spree all year and then suddenly decided they couldn't afford it and cut something like 30% of the employees out of the blue.  There were some real good engineers they let go.

1 hour ago, PokerPacker said:

Might be moving back to the DMV area soon.  Just got laid off yesterday (woo, how fun; move half way across the country for a company only to be laid off after less than a year), so the only thing tying me to Texas at this point is the apartment lease and all of my stuff within said apartment.

I feel you...I got laid off after making a further move than you...I found another job that was for more money and a better opportunity. Everything works out. Don't feel the need to tuck tail back to the DMV if you want to live in Texas. I'm sure you will find something else out there.

Edited by Skinz4Life12

5 minutes ago, Dr. Do Itch Big said:

That sucks. Go west maybe? Find something in Silicon Valley?

Just be prepared to live out of a car for awhile if you do. 

15 minutes ago, Skinz4Life12 said:

I feel you...I got laid off after making a further move than you...I found another job that was for more money and a better opportunity. Everything works out. Don't feel the need to tuck tail back to the DMV if you want to live in Texas. I'm sure you will find something else out there.

I only moved to Texas for the job.    Everyone I know is back East and it would be nice to be able to see my friends and family on a whim rather than having to taking leave and scheduling flights.  Used to have little family outings every Saturday.  That said, I'm not ruling out staying if I find a good job out there.  Or moving elsewhere if I find another job that's interesting enough.

15 minutes ago, Dr. Do Itch Big said:

That sucks. Go west maybe? Find something in Silicon Valley?

The prospects of Silicon Valley has always been of interest to me, but I might need more experience if I want to get a good position that won't have me living like a hobo. 

Wonderful. Another music thread started where all the music snobs can tell me what I listen to is garbage and their bands and music are the greatest.

• Like 3

27 minutes ago, pjfootballer said:

Wonderful. Another music thread started where all the music snobs can tell me what I listen to is garbage and their bands and music are the greatest.

the truth hurts, baby.

• Like 2

Holy crap.  I started this thread 10 years ago.  Where does the time go.   I still want to move to Florida so I can enjoy the water. Fishing, skiing and the beach.  Or at least some beach somewhere.  Somewhere where it is perpetually 5 O'clock!! :) 

• Like 7

44 minutes ago, pjfootballer said:

I realized long ago that everyone has at least a few songs by ****ty bands/artists that they love.

Personally I love dumb **** like Africa by Toto or Tacos Puttin on the Ritz. Or like I just mention in the Starship thread Safety Dance by Men without Hats. No sane person should listen to that garbage.

1 hour ago, stevenaa said:

Holy crap.  I started this thread 10 years ago.  Where does the time go.   I still want to move to Florida so I can enjoy the water. Fishing, skiing and the beach.  Or at least some beach somewhere.  Somewhere where it is perpetually 5 O'clock!! :) 

Come to San Diego, its got all of that and more! It's always 5 o'clock here but no mosquitoes or humidity!

Edited by Skinz4Life12

Your Mama's yappin' in the back seat
Tell her to push over and move them big feet
Every Monday morning I gotta drive her down to the unemployment agency
Well this morning I ain't fighting tell her I give up
Tell her she wins if she'll just shut up
But it's the last time that she's gonna be riding with me

You can tell her there's a hot sun beating on the black top
She keeps talkin' she'll be walkin' that last block
She can take a subway back to the ghetto tonight

I can't watch the Battlebots finale because the damn Ravens meaningless 4th preseason game is on instead.  I hate the damn Ravens.

• Like 1