Washington Football Team Logo
Extremeskins

Random Thought Thread

stevenaa

Thats life bruh :( Others will always slack off, whether it be school or work, will always get away with it while you sit back, bust your ass and get your balls busted if you flinch.

There is something to this. I work as if I'm always being watched by a superior. Even if I'm alone, I go hard all the time. Of course, you turn it down when the workload is light and the team is jivin with one another. Otherwise, momma always told me life is like a box of chocolates: you better clean your ****ing room and do your ****ing chores. To her senile asses credit, she told me to work like someone is always watching me, and more importantly - be proud of my work. I think that's the key. Take pride in what you do, as it's a reflection of who you are. I've been promoted to at least supervisor roles in almost every job I've had, because I treat work like I treated sports. It's a big game almost every day. Leadership, especially leading by example, motivates others who are driven, and weeds out the unwilling.

As far as groupwork, I completely understand the conundrum there. An extremely temporary forced relationship with people you don't have a feel for, or an opportunity to replace. It can be super awkward, and you wonder how much you should try "getting through" to the people you're not confident in. When you decide they've copped out, emotions flow, and if the project is successful, you've just boosted their grades. Like damn son, I have enough to worry about, and now I gotta change someone's approach to how they treat schoolwork? I ain't their daddies. Yeah, a few bad experiences with groupwork, as you can tell.

Nothing but icy roads. Staying home today. County said delay until 12, but the sun isn't coming out so there will be no melting. It will refreeze tonight.

I think it will melt some.  Local forecast where I'm at is showing 41 degrees, partially cloudy.  But it will refreeze tonight and I'd be willing to bet schools are closed again tomorrow.

I think it will melt some.  Local forecast where I'm at is showing 41 degrees, partially cloudy.  But it will refreeze tonight and I'd be willing to bet schools are closed again tomorrow.

Problem is that by the time everything melts...it will start to freeze all over again.

Snow doesn't bother me as much, the ice just sucks.

Whomever is in charge of the budget for these conditions here have some short-sighted thoughts.

[rant on] They simply don't get cleaned. I also find it to be appalling that 485 is still under construction...11 years later. For those that don't know it is the same idea as the Beltway (but this is 2015) unbelievable that this road is not done yet.  [rant off]

Problem is that by the time everything melts...it will start to freeze all over again.

Whomever is in charge of the budget for these conditions here have some short-sighted thoughts.

[rant on] They simply don't get cleaned. I also find it to be appalling that 485 is still under construction...11 years later. For those that don't know it is the same idea as the Beltway (but this is 2015) unbelievable that this road is not done yet.  [rant off]

I feel your pain Kosh.  I remember how happy I was in 1999 they were building it up.  Lived extremely close to I-485 at the highway 49 junction.  

We moved when we built our house, but it's been 16 years since they built the stretch from I-85 to Hwy 49..........just close the damn loop already lol.

I don't know if Charlotte has a local measure or not to exclusively pay for advancement of transportation projects, but I do know how long it usually takes to do major highway/interstate projects. 

No one likes to hear this, but 11 years for a complicated Beltway system (especially one that connects 4 stretches of highway) doesn't seem too bad. Building roads of these magnitude (especially when their is a limited build time each year and you have to manage road maintenance issues also) takes a lot of time. 

edit...that said, reading a little more history on the project it looks like the first real groundbreaking took place a little more than 25 years ago (!!!). I suspect that the original plans for the beltway are no longer close to what has been (and will be) built. Transportation system building is continuing to evolve and while the demand/housing projection models are getting better - projects like this way to often fall into this cycle of continuous build. 

I don't know if Charlotte has a local measure or not to exclusively pay for advancement of transportation projects, but I do know how long it usually takes to do major highway/interstate projects. 

No one likes to hear this, but 11 years for a complicated Beltway system (especially one that connects 4 stretches of highway) doesn't seem too bad. Building roads of these magnitude (especially when their is a limited build time each year and you have to manage road maintenance issues also) takes a lot of time. 

edit...that said, reading a little more history on the project it looks like the first real groundbreaking took place a little more than 25 years ago (!!!). I suspect that the original plans for the beltway are no longer close to what has been (and will be) built. Transportation system building is continuing to evolve and while the demand/housing projection models are getting better - projects like this way to often fall into this cycle of continuous build. 

They put projects on hold to start other projects.  Their focus was completely on widening I-85 into Cabarrus county, they completely re-did the interstate, added another exit (for Ikea) and it was a cluster **** to say the least.  

That was going on when I was driving into the office and part of my 1.5 - 2 hour commute back home (the I-85 construction).  It would bottle neck and back up for miles, past the exit for hwy 29/49.  Then they put a new exit one mile past that for Ikea Blvd (so people could access Ikea from the interstate, but that road connected to Hwy 29, right at a newly built junction (another project) for Hwy 49/University City Blvd (road UNCC is on).

So you had angry drivers getting off on the 29/49 exit and Ikea Blvd exit to avoid I-85 construction, along with all the traffic from uptown (downtown in normal cities) merging into one huge cluster ****.  And college traffic at night.  It would take me an hour at times just to go 3-4 miles.  

I feel your pain Kosh.  I remember how happy I was in 1999 they were building it up.  Lived extremely close to I-485 at the highway 49 junction.  

We moved when we built our house, but it's been 16 years since they built the stretch from I-85 to Hwy 49..........just close the damn loop already lol.

I used to live right there also when they were building my house. The apartments behind Concord Mills.

I see your edit and I raise you that it should not take 25 years to build a road no matter the circumstances. Weather here is horrible maybe 6 days a year, sure it rains...but a drought is more common.

To top it off... it isn't even close to being as complicated as 495. It's a loop that has not finished the part between 49 and 77 for over a decade...where they meet is maybe 10 miles away. Taze saying 16 years, you saying 25 years just makes it that much more absurd.

I think the bigger problem is that the folks in charge of highways and road work are based in Raleigh. If they had to deal with this all the time it would have been done ten years ago.

Hell, 2/3rds of it was complete 10 years ago.

I used to live right there also when they were building my house. The apartments behind Concord Mills.

I see your edit and I raise you that it should not take 25 years to build a road no matter the circumstances. Weather here is horrible maybe 6 days a year, sure it rains...but a drought is more common.

To top it off... it isn't even close to being as complicated as 495. It's a loop that has not finished the part between 49 and 77 for over a decade...where they meet is maybe 10 miles away. Taze saying 16 years, you saying 25 years just makes it that much more absurd.

I think the bigger problem is that the folks in charge of highways and road work are based in Raleigh. If they had to deal with this all the time it would have been done ten years ago.

Hell, 2/3rds of it was complete 10 years ago.

We were living in the apartments on 49, right after the 485 bridge.  Lived there from 1998-2001, then moved when our house was built in 2001.  Oh yeah, the project started long before 1999, I was just remembering how happy I was because I thought it would be 5-7 years for it to finally be completed lol.

Here we are 16 years later :/  And you're right, I think Raleigh has given us the shaft on this.  

They put projects on hold to start other projects.  

So you had angry drivers getting off on the 29/49 exit and Ikea Blvd exit to avoid I-85 construction, along with all the traffic from uptown (downtown in normal cities) merging into one huge cluster ****.  And college traffic at night.  It would take me an hour at times just to go 3-4 miles.  

That is another problem. It was not that Ikea wasn't accessible. I had been their a couple of times and found myself surprised that they dedicated an exit to go there.  

49 midday with college traffic is not as bad as 495 midday...but for a city that doesn't have that typically it's rather annoying.

The inbound side of 29 right now near the hospital is obnoxious. It's been closed for easily 6 months. Heading down Eastway to go to South Charlotte has been closed for a bridge the size of most peoples driveways.

To be fair, Charlotte's population has gone up almost 100% since the project started in the late 80's. I'm not sure if there is another major city that can say the same. 

That said, I don't live there and I cannot speak to the ineffectiveness of the NC DOT. I do know that there are often other factors (i.e. emergency maintenance, environmental concerns, habitat conservation, right of way acquisition problems, gas tax revenues decline, state budget mess, etc.)  that the general public isn't aware of that holds up these type of projects and makes them take forever. I'm not sure if they came into play or not.

What a surprise, more Baltimore fans bashing Washington DC. First it's Ravens > Redskins hahahahhahah! Even when your organization covered up for an ALLEGED domestic abuser. Then it's them sitting on their high horse and they dare to dictate baseball to peons like the Nationals. "Don't leave games early." You mean like you left Game 1 of the ALCS in 2014 early? 

I work near Baltimore but these online pests are just out of control, I feel so ashamed to be so close to such a bitter city that still thinks the Redskins had a part in denying Baltimore a franchise in 93. Get over it, losers. 

Archived