Washington Football Team Logo
Extremeskins

Random Thought Thread

stevenaa

Nah there would have to be some kind of qualifying round so people can't embarrass themselves in front of the entire world. That means no Pookie from Ghettofights

Im talking like legit fighters, wrestlers, military, etc

That's what the UFC is...

Brian Stann was the Captain of an assault platoon in Afghanistan. Tim Kennedy was a Sergeant in the Army. Both well-known, high ranking fighters. Randy Couture was in the Army, former two time world champ.

Stroker, I know you are more educated in UFC/MMA than myself.  So question.   What was before UFC, that was so brutal.  I thought it was UFC, but UFC 1 was in November 1993.  I remember back in high school (I graduated in June 1993), all the fellas talkin about ultimate fighting and the brutal matches, people getting bones broke, until they submitted, etc.

Edit:   I'm getting old, but I swear I remember one of my buddies talking about a MMA fight where there was no rules, except knock out or submission and in the fights peeps were getting put in arm bars and ****, and they would start breaking bones until their opponent submitted.  This would have had to have been around 1992-early 1993.

That's what the UFC is...

Brian Stann was the Captain of an assault platoon in Afghanistan. Tim Kennedy was a Sergeant in the Army. Both well-known, high ranking fighters. Randy Couture was in the Army, former two time world champ.

Wow I had no idea. Thats pretty cool

Id still find a way to try something different though, if I became a multimillionaire overnight.

Maybe pitch the idea of a UFC "Winter Classic" type deal to Dana White. A newly constructed open martial arts stadium in Hawaii or something.

Trained killers, hot, scantily clad women, and palm trees

Stroker, I know you are more educated in UFC/MMA than myself. So question. What was before UFC, that was so brutal. I thought it was UFC, but UFC 1 was in November 1993. I remember back in high school (I graduated in June 1993), all the fellas talkin about ultimate fighting and the brutal matches, people getting bones broke, until they submitted, etc.

Hmm, my first thought is some underground fight ring they heard about. On second thought, maybe they were talking about the Gracie challenge. Where the Gracies issued an open challenge for anyone to fight them. That's how the Gracies got the idea to create the UFC. It was basically the Gracie Challenge in tournament format, and made in to a spectacle. There are home videos of Gracie gym fights from the late 80s/early 90s on youtube. They beat everybody. Karate guys claiming to be undefeated and ****. Stifled.

Check this **** out

Id still find a way to try something different though, if I became a multimillionaire overnight.

Maybe pitch the idea of a UFC "Winter Classic" type deal to Dana White. A newly constructed open martial arts stadium in Hawaii or something.

You should hold your tournament on my private island.  I'm doing pretty good with my international opium mafia.  Livin' large!

enter-the-dragon-4.jpg

I need to try to get into mma more. Always been a boxing guy. My dads side of the family (NY/NJ) raised me on boxing. Naturally, as a Jersey guy, and second generation Italian, my dad rooted hard for Arturo "Thunder" Gatti (RIP), so naturally, thats who I rooted for too. The trilogy he had with Mickey Ward is some of the greatest displays of pure heart and toughness that ive ever seen. Also led me to despise Floyd when he slaughtered Gatti in the ring, and mocked him.

At any rate, I was never one to take sides in the boxing/mma fanboy arguments. Always respected the sport, and individuals like Anderson Silva and Chuck Liddell.

Vale Tudo...but I was under the assumption those fights were few and far between, and only in Brazil. Were Taze's buddies talking about fights in Brazil? I admittedly don't know much anything about pre UFC Vale Tudo.

Not sure, it's the only thing I can think of.

I feel better if I only sleep 4 hours compared to if I only sleep 6 hours.

Already been done bro..

God damn the Mortal Kombat movie was so awful. Was one of the first huge video game to movie fails (if not THE first). It needed to be rated R. Movie was like the Super Nintendo version without blood. The only thing that would've made it worse were babalities and friendship finishing moves.

Annhialation was even worse. Although it was pretty sweet getting to see Cyrax and Sektor. The first one had its good moments though. The scene with Reptile was pretty good.

It could win Oscars compared to the Street Fighter movie though.

Archived