Washington Football Team Logo
Extremeskins

Random Thought Thread

stevenaa

18 minutes ago, Mr. Sinister said:

I had no idea, Webster...

I'll never forget the day i brought up how countries like Russia and China trying to wipe out the entire hip hop culture from their countries because of some of their messages against oppression and the puritans in the hip hop thread with a straight face said "not our problem". 

Its hard for me to say hip hop is dead when it's a global multibillion dollar industry that authoritarian governments are afraid of, not that your saying that. 

2 minutes ago, Renegade7 said:

I'll never forget the day i brought up how countries like Russia and China trying to wipe out the entire hip hop culture from their countries because of some of their messages against oppression and the puritans in the hip hop thread with a straight face said "not our problem". 

Its hard for me to say hip hop is dead when it's a global multimillion dollar industry that authoritarian governments are afraid of, not that your saying that. 

Yeah, that's not really what I think Beal's post was asbout either. Has more to do with the "Mainstream," and how that's changed, and how the core of the industry itself has changed on that front. There has been a seismic shift in what a lot of these labels look for, market,  and how rappers even attain notoriety. 

It's changed.

4 minutes ago, Mr. Sinister said:

Yeah, that's not really what I think Beal's post was asbout either. Has more to do with the "Mainstream," and how that's changed, and how the core of the industry itself has changed on that front. There has been a seismic shift in what a lot of these labels look for, market,  and how rappers even attain notoriety. 

It's changed.

I know, but I keep saying that's basically a subgenre to itself now and shouldnt be treated as the face of the overall culture anymore.  But it's in America, that's what we see.

This may be out left field, but I dont believe hip hop was taken from black people, we surrendered it willingly because we didnt want to be leaders of a global culture while representing only 13% of one country, we have a our own problems.  And right or wrong, it worked out in the overall culture's favor. 

Because if we required everything to pass a purity test, we'd be country music right now instead of jazz.  We wouldn't have Eminem, we'd be Dixie Chicking people left and right.

It made no sense to me going after Lil Wayne for singing, the guy who revolutionized the mix tape game.  

25 minutes ago, Mr. Sinister said:

It's changed.

This.

And also that I am old.

19 minutes ago, TryTheBeal! said:

This.

And also that I am old.

Curious, what are your thoughts on Lecrae or Gangstagrass?

My favorite album is Peice of Strange by CunninLynguists, but i dont think I've heard a single song from them on the radio.  I think it sucks i cant listen to the radio for stretches anymore, but there's more choices and subgenres then there's ever been, even here in the states, i don't feel like i have to.

I don't get it, I've been hearing for years how much they don't like mainstream hip hop but it just keeps getting "worse".  I don't want to go back to the mid90s were people we're so concerned with their reputation that it killed two of the best we ever had, even if that's the best we ever got out of Outkast.  

I'm rambling, i just get tired hearing there's no good hip hop anymore when really it's just not what they want from the popular part of the genre.  I don't think there's anything wrong with that, just not the same thing.  Some of these artist make stuff i believe people would really like, but won't pass the current standard for radio club hits so its like they never made it.

Is it the artist fault, customers fault, both, neither? Are we overthinking it and should just make the most of it like people tell me to do with the Redskins?  I still like Drake, but believe his dad for saying some of that stuff isn't true, same way i believe the perception versus reality thing concerning image predates mumble rap, hell, predates 2004.

6 hours ago, Monk4thaHALL said:

@Elessar78 You've got one job and only one job. 

"Awesome" (2019 -- 2020)

My mom gave me a bunch of my dad's stuff, and in the collection was the Duke hat I bought for him at the school that he loved & wore until he went into hospice. 

I cried a little, adjusted it to fit my head, and put it on last night before the game. It's now my lucky hat. :PartialQuaintKangaroo-small:

Archived