Washington Football Team Logo
Extremeskins

Random Thought Thread

stevenaa

You on any type of medication? I've mentioned before how I gained a **** ton of weight and it turns out one of the medications I was taking can cause weight gain and nobody ****ing told me. Didn't even realize it until I stopped taking it and lost a **** ton of weight.

When I joined the Army a few months after turning 18, I weighed like 150. Skinny as **** and had been skinny as **** my entire life up to then. Fast forward 10+ years and I weigh 230+. I'd see family members and damn near the first thing they'd say to me, as politely as possible, was how much bigger I was.

It was alright at first because I always disliked being skinny as **** and wanted to be bigger. Then it just became apparent that I wasn't simply bigger. I was straight up fat. Ugh.

It was all kind of blowing my mind because if anything, I was eating HEALTHIER than I had in the past. So I stop taking the medication (was for sleep and was just no longer effective) and within a year (maybe closer to six months) I'm down to 175. Didn't hit the gym or exercise a single time.

I'm pretty pissed about that. Doctor prescribes the **** to me, sees me gaining weight, says ****, and it takes another doctor to tell me about that side effect. Sorry to hijack. Point is make sure you check and research the potential side effects of any medication you might be taking.

But yeah, stopping soda is HUGE. People realize it's bad for you but I don't think they realize just HOW bad it is for you. My mom is a nurse, 30+ years. She has said for years now that she honestly believes that soda consumption is one of the major issues facing this country and people don't even know it; that doing something about soda would be the biggest step we could take in regards to our obesity issue.

Probably not surprisingly (based on the weight) I'm on two blood pressure meds (beta blocker being one of them) but since I've always had high BP (it was borderline as a skinny kid) I'm not sure if losing weight would get me off of it. I'm going to do some research to see what the side effects of the two pills 2x a day are.

As for the soda, I know it's bad for me. I just like it. I had it as a kid. In college. And through my almost 20 years of being an adult. It's breaking the addiction that's the hardest. I'm trying.

As for the soda, I know it's bad for me. I just like it. I had it as a kid. In college. And through my almost 20 years of being an adult. It's breaking the addiction that's the hardest. I'm trying.

I hear you!!  Kicking soda is HARD.  A couple of years ago, I dropped 50lbs.  No miracle cure, just fixed my eating habits and worked out more. But, I know one the biggest things that helped me was weening off of soda.  Couldn't do it cold turkey, but it is a big help in dropping lbs.

YEah, i went out and got one of these -https://www.hydroflask.com/products/hydro-flask-insulated-water-bottle-18oz-wide-medium

They are amazing at keeping water (or other beverages, including ice) cool all day. Now I just have to put it to use with water and not other evil calorie hogging bevearages.

That's neat, but how much liquid does it hold? Of all my health and exercise equipment, this $1 bottle is probably the most important thing I have. Guess I could hold my face under the faucet, or refill cups like mad...but that would be super annoying. Wide mouth is key for chugging. This is my baby...

0008265723771-500x500.jpg

/Deer Park advertisement.

I've always told people this and it's like they don't believe me, but when I was in basic training, I wasn't fiennding for nicotine, wasn't fiending for alcohol, wasn't fiending to get high (weed, coke, whatever) but I swear to god I would've ****ing killed for a soda. Oh my god, it was insane. And talking to other folks there, that was a common feeling.

And yeah MLSKINS, I don't like and don't ever drink water either. Just blah. I've stayed looking for some alternative to soda. Tried everything. After years is searching, I finally found it (for me anyway). It's those flavored carbonated waters that have recently come out. They just hit the spot. Exactly what I've been looking for. Example:

Talking-Rain-CEO-We-can-turn-Sparkling-I

Another thing that has helped that I like are those little flavored drink mixes. Cheap and have enough for like 10-20 drinks. The Crystal Light blueberry-raspberry mix has been my go to lately:

Crystal-Light-Liquid.jpg

I remember in basic training, a few times over the 9 weeks (every other week maybe), our drill sargeant passed out these little paper cups with this orange-colored, orangish-flavored liquid in it. When he said go, we all had to slam it like a shot. When asked what it was, all he would say was that it was called "victory punch".

It was probably some gatorade/powerade type **** to help with our electrolytes or whatever. Like I've mentioned before though, I enlisted in the Army in August 2001 and shipped off to basic beginning of October 2001, about 3 weeks after 9/11. Perfect ****ing timing, yikes. It was a ****ing insane time, it was a tense time and it was a confusing time. It really felt like we might be on the verge of WWIII or something. So yeah, who the **** knows what "victory punch" could potentially have been.

(hilarious Home Improvement sound clip)

It's just cold water. I don't know what it is. I think I might got sensitive teeth or something, but cool water, and even lukewarm water, always taste better. Even when I'm balling, I  rather have the room temperature water than the water that's been in the cooler or something.

At my job, we got the ion water machine. I crush at least 96 oz a day at work. Matter of fact, I'm about to go get some right now lol

Coming back to DC tomorrow for a week.  Love that it is freezing, I miss the cold weather.  Bringing the girlfriend with me, will probably try to hit up some museums and the Wizards game on Tuesday night.

Other than the obvious (Natural History, Air and Space), are there any other cool museums that we should visit?  It's been so long.

Coming back to DC tomorrow for a week. Love that it is freezing, I miss the cold weather. .

Today marks the last day of our cold blast. Tomorrow it should finally get up in to the 40s. Temps gradually get warmer from there. Will sniff 70 on Monday. Will start to get pretty cold again by mid-week. Might even see some flakes before you leave.

Yeah first time. She's from Simi Valley, CA.

My go to, for the longest, has been to hit the Mall at night and just walk. Love that and it's always been popular. Kind of like a mini adventure. Walk through some trees and next thing you know there's an awesome monument in front of you that you didn't even know existed. The cold weather would probably dampen the experience a bit but it's supposed to warm up next week. Another good thing about it is not too many tourists are out and about after dark so you don't have to wade through a bunch of bull**** (and the Mall is safe as can be. Been many, many times and not once have I EVER felt not at ease. Not once.)

Edit: If you're driving, park on 14th Street, right before Constitution Ave, directly across the street from the Ronald Reagan Building. Been parking there for a decade now, always spots open, never an issue. And it's a great location because the Mall is right there and the White House is just a couple blocks over. And always if you're gonna be driving downtown, make sure you have some change in the car in case you have to use a metered spot

So much to do in DC, besides the typical. Geez.

Spy Museum 

DC Improv

Museum of Crime & Punishment

Adams Morgan

Treasury Tour

National Zoo

DC Aquarium sucks

Georgetown is overrated, yet the waterfront is the spot in the late spring/early summer

Capitol Tour

Chinatown has a few cool spots near the arena

Bens Chili Bowl is overrated, decent, but not great

I would consider a trip to the Aquarium in Baltimore, one of the best in the Country. Easy trip from Union Station on the MARC train. I think it's about 12 bucks round trip.

Speaking of which, save your legs besides walking the mall at night and utilize the Metro. It is one of, if not the best in the Country

Tons of amazing restaurants in DC

GACOLB is 100% correct about the Mall at night. I used to walk over to the Reflecting Pool, Lincoln Memorial, Jefferson Memorial (some cool little island type of things out there), Near GW there are some good memorials too.

Don't know if you are driving or not but Gravelly Point is cool to have like a little lunch date or something. Too cold for that though I would guess. Near the airport and it sits at a spot where the planes are coming in low to land.

Archived