Washington Football Team Logo
Extremeskins

Random Thought Thread

stevenaa

Seems like on days that I'm active in the RTT the thread can push 3 pages a day easily. On days when I'm not this thread might get 10 posts

I am the engine!

Guess again.

Yeah... I think it is coming to that point again Mick Jr. Sorry. People loved Mick. I just found him to be annoying. Preference I suppose.

I'm taking a break from sports for a while.

This just isn't fun anymore. After 20+ years, I just don't want that kind of stress in my life.

I still love ES and will frequent the Tailgate but that's about it.

Could be worse......you could be a Browns fan, Lions fan, etc.   

Just sayin :)

Yeah, I can't dedicate this much time to being miserable. There are brief rewards, but I'm upset more often than not because my teams are losers. And since I'm not about to change teams, I just have to take a break.

Come on Bacon.  You're stronger than that.  You're team just battled it out 18 ****ing innings man.  I know it sucks to lose, hell, try being a Braves fan this year :/

You just have to set your expectations lower.  Sure everyone wants a Super Bowl, World Series, NBA Championship, but the cold harsh reality is that its ****ing hard to accomplish that.  That's the unjust, hidden beauty of the game.  If it was easy, it wouldn't mean ****.  

Could be worse......you could be a Browns fan, Lions fan, etc.   

Just sayin :)

I don't think anything is worse than being a D.C. sports fan over the last 20 years when you factor everything into it.

Maybe Cleveland. That's the only town that even has an argument. Indians losing the World Series that one year, blowing a 3-1 lead in the ALCS, losing Lebron(though now he's back). But that's really nothing compared to what we've had to deal with in D.C.

Lions? Meh, Detroit had the Red Wings which have won a ton of Stanley Cups and the Pistons won an NBA title recently(well 10 years but still). The Tigers have also at least made repeated trips to the World Series.

It isn't just the losing, but the way in which D.C. teams have gagged. We have literally turned losing into an art form. We don't just lose, we find new and creative ways to lose.

I don't know what it is about this city, but when people wear our uniforms they just become losers.

Come on Bacon.  You're stronger than that.  You're team just battled it out 18 ****ing innings man.  I know it sucks to lose, hell, try being a Braves fan this year :/

You just have to set your expectations lower.  Sure everyone wants a Super Bowl, World Series, NBA Championship, but the cold harsh reality is that its ****ing hard to accomplish that.  That's the unjust, hidden beauty of the game.  If it was easy, it wouldn't mean ****.  

You know I'm just disappointed and ranting. I'll be back at the trough for my slop Monday night, like everybody else on this board. 

Hell, I cheer for a lot of good teams. If you set your sights high enough, every team but a handful in any given sport is a loser. There's just a unique disappointment with being embarrassed in the first round as a #1 seed. I can't imagine what Patriots fans felt like after going 19-0 and losing on a fluke pass. 

I remember talking to a buddy of mine who is a Pittsburgh fan after they lost the Super Bowl to the Packers in 2010-2011. He just shrugged it off and was like "meh, can't win them all."

Must be nice to be a fan of a city who always has good teams contending for titles every year.

I just want one championship in my lifetime(not counting '91 Skins, I was too young and don't remember a lick). One. I'd be happy with that. I've gone 20+ years without one, I could easily go the rest of my life and just have one championship. Give me one. Any of the four major sports teams, just one.

Yeah, I can't dedicate this much time to being miserable. There are brief rewards, but I'm upset more often than not because my teams are losers. And since I'm not about to change teams, I just have to take a break.

Nah man, don't act like that. It's not like you guys aren't battling. You lost by a run each game. And to a team, that forever reason, dominates the even numbered years in the playoffs.

You guys have to tough it out. If anyone knows anything about heartache in the playoffs, it's a Braves fan.

I haven't been in to the Nats, or baseball, but tonight I was definitely in to it. Every pitch to us in extras, I felt a game-winning homerun coming. Never frickin' came. Their reliever who threw 60+ pitches channelled his inner Roger Clemens. The ump was a little loose with some strikes tonight - that can definitely encourage a low scoring game. Still, someone please put the head of the bat on the ball. Not even foul balls were being hit hard. Sad stuff man. On the bright side, the Nats have a seriously solid foundation. Young as heck.

You know I'm just disappointed and ranting. I'll be back at the trough for my slop Monday night, like everybody else on this board. 

Hell, I cheer for a lot of good teams. If you set your sights high enough, every team but a handful in any given sport is a loser. There's just a unique disappointment with being embarrassed in the first round as a #1 seed. I can't imagine what Patriots fans felt like after going 19-0 and losing on a fluke pass. 

I know man.  It was a helluva game to watch as a fan of the sport, not either team.  The ultimate let down had to be the Pats going 18-0 and losing on that fluke pass for the perfect 19-0 season.

Look at the Bills though, four straight Super Bowl loses.  My friend is a Bills fan and when we go at it, I remind him how almost statistically impossible it has to be to make it to 4 straight Super Bowls and not win one of them.

What a lot of you guys are saying is absolutely spot on. It's not that the teams in D.C. lose. After awhile, I'm sure you get used to it if you're just horrible. Lions fans seem resigned to their fate and have nowhere to go but up (and they very well may be getting there again). I can deal with the 'Skins or any of the other teams in town getting blown out. It just becomes laughable after a certain point. It's when they get close and it looks like they're going to turn it around, only to choke in the end. I imagine this is how Red Sox fans felt before 2004, except the Red Sox were pretty consistent contenders during that span (apart from the 1950s and 60s). D.C. teams to do it to you in the off-season, the regular season and the playoffs. I just hate getting my hopes up, and the same goes for damn near everything else in life. You don't want to get your hopes up and you just want to wallow in your misery.

But, of course, that's no good. You can't live your life that way, as tempting as it may be, and you have to keep the faith. Cynicism doesn't do anyone a bit of good, though God knows I'm guilty of it, both with sports and with everything else. Cynicism is tempting as hell because it keeps you from getting your heart broken, but you don't get the same payoff, the same jubilation you get when you keep your hopes up and they're finally rewarded. 

I know it's kind of dumb making parallels between sports and more important things like your relationships with other people or your career, but there are legitimate parallels to be made. 

Archived