Washington Football Team Logo
Extremeskins

Do animals have rights?

Cdowwe

Damn right I proved my point that I am the superior. Just kidding HOF, didnt meant to sound like a dick. I guess I am trying to see if people give a dog a right not to be harmed, why not something like a bug.

Does anyone think animals have souls?

I say yeah, why do we deserve more rights then them? And no, i would not kill a spider - i don't kill anything. Its really not that hard to put him on a piece of paper and set him outside.

I don't support the animal "rights" movement because I don't think animals should have "rights" in the sense that humans do. I do however support the animal welfare movement - and am all for stiff penalties for those that torture animals. People that take pleasure in dealing out pain sicken me and I like the idea of society delivering the message that such people are not wanted and will not be tolerated.

That's pretty much where I stand. I love horses and dogs and, well ,even the barn cats.

The animal "rights" movement has nothing to do with the true welfare of animals.

If PETA had thier way every animal that relies on humans for thier care would be set free. They are just extreme nutjobs.

I care very much for my horses and dogs because with out them I could not go crashing through the country side hunting foxes.

I say yeah, why do we deserve more rights then them? And no, i would not kill a spider - i don't kill anything. Its really not that hard to put him on a piece of paper and set him outside.
ok hippie;)

but seriously to just eat at you, how do you know its a HIM??? common come up with some non-ofensive generic name for a spiders gender! :laugh:

Below are 2 possible definitions of animal. I am using the second.

http://education.yahoo.com/reference/dictionary/entry/animal

1. A multicellular organism of the kingdom Animalia, differing from plants in certain typical characteristics such as capacity for locomotion, nonphotosynthetic metabolism, pronounced response to stimuli, restricted growth, and fixed bodily structure.
  2. An animal organism other than a human, especially a mammal.

:rotflmao: :laugh:

And no, i would not kill a spider - i don't kill anything. Its really not that hard to put him on a piece of paper and set him outside.

I remember doing that once with a spider about 12 years ago. I was living in an apartment complex not to far from where I'm living now. 3rd floor. It was about 5:30 am and I was getting ready to go open my gym. I saw this common house spider crawling on the floor in my kitchen and instead of stepping on it, I grabbed a piece of paper to let crawl on to. This worked. Kind of. I picked up the piece of paper, ( letter size if I recall), and held it just above my waist and ahead of me.

I looked at it, and right then, the little **** turned, stopped and "looked" at me. Then it jumped towards my face. Somehow I managed to knock it to the ground, where for the next 20 seconds or so, I jumped and stomped the little **** till it was non existant. Cursing the thing, loudly, the whole time. I'm pretty sure my neighbors downstairs were wondering what the hell was going on upstairs. :halo:

Mind you. It was also near zero outside and snowing. Not sure how nice I was being before the little sucker started something. :)

I remember doing that once with a spider about 12 years ago. I was living in an apartment complex not to far from where I'm living now. 3rd floor. It was about 5:30 am and I was getting ready to go to open my gym. I saw this common house spider crawling on the floor in my kitchen and instead of stepping on it, I grabbed a piece of paper to let crawl on to. This worked. Kind of. I picked up the piece of paper, ( letter size if I recall), and held it just above my waist and ahead of me.

I looked at it, and right then, the little **** turned, stopped and "looked" at me. Then it jumped towards my face. Somehow I managed to knock it to the ground, where for the next 20 seconds or so, I jumped and stomped the little **** till it was non existant. Cursing the thing, loudly, the whole time. I'm pretty sure my neighbors downstairs were wondering what the hell was going on upstairs. :halo:

Mind you. It was also near zero outside and snowing. Not sure how nice I was being before the little sucker started something. :)

:laugh: :laugh: :laugh: I guess sometimes its just survival of the fittest.

I remember doing that once with a spider about 12 years ago. I was living in an apartment complex not to far from where I'm living now. 3rd floor. It was about 5:30 am and I was getting ready to go to open my gym. I saw this common house spider crawling on the floor in my kitchen and instead of stepping on it, I grabbed a piece of paper to let crawl on to. This worked. Kind of. I picked up the piece of paper, ( letter size if I recall), and held it just above my waist and ahead of me.

:laugh: :laugh: :laugh: :D :laugh: :D;):):silly: :doh: :D

(mood swing emotions about your above post)

one emotion you say? :D

Do animals have rights? I say No. What are your thoughts?

Since I don't believe humans are divinely privileged I believe that animals have souls if humans do. In fact, I'd point out that if you want to get technical about your definitions, Cdowwe, humans are animals too.

Good catch Dfitzo. I guess if you want to use the strict defintion of the "animal kingdom" it includes homo sapiens. So Cdowwe believes humans have no rights according to the opening post.

Good one PCS :laugh:

While we're sharing spider stories... I have one of my own.

Before I got married I was living in an apartment. The pest control guy came by once a month and treated for insects/etc. I happened to be home one day when he came by and he kind of nervously asked if I minded him putting down some glue traps. I said why not? :whoknows:

So he comes back the following month and I get a letter from the apt. management office letting me know that my building has a brown recluse infestation. Very poisonous spiders for those of you who aren't familiar with brown recluses. :(

So that week, sure enough I check the glue traps and theres 4 spiders on just one of them behind the washing machine. I show it to the pest control guy and I ask him if these are brown recluses (I didn't even know what they looked like)... he nervously says 'yes', then he mumbled something under his breath about never seeing so many in one place before.

So what happens next? A professor or grad student (not sure which) from the University of Tennessee knocks on my door and asks if it is o.k. if they studied the brown recluses in my apartment. If it weren't so funny it would have been tragic at that point. :doh:

I bought a house within a month, and was gone. Thankfully my girlfriend at the time, myself, and my dog never got bit. I confess I never told my girlfriend about it (who is now my wife) :) It's a good thing, because if she sees any kind of spider at all she freaks.

I remember doing that once with a spider about 12 years ago. I was living in an apartment complex not to far from where I'm living now. 3rd floor. It was about 5:30 am and I was getting ready to go open my gym. I saw this common house spider crawling on the floor in my kitchen and instead of stepping on it, I grabbed a piece of paper to let crawl on to. This worked. Kind of. I picked up the piece of paper, ( letter size if I recall), and held it just above my waist and ahead of me.

Ahahahaha... That is some hilarious stuff right there. :laugh::laugh::laugh::D:laugh::laugh::laugh:

Animals don't have rights, but that doesn't mean we should go ahead and do whatever we want to them. Like I have the right to curse out everybody I see, doesn't mean I should do it. Free country or not, it's legal, but definetly not a good idea. Just remember that if we wanted to we could wipe out every animal on the planet, so they have the right to be grateful that we don't do that.

Animals don't have rights, but that doesn't mean we should go ahead and do whatever we want to them. Like I have the right to curse out everybody I see, doesn't mean I should do it. Free country or not, it's legal, but definetly not a good idea. Just remember that if we wanted to we could wipe out every animal on the planet, so they have the right to be grateful that we don't do that.

Actually, I think we'd be hard pressed to do that.

I think the knee-jerk response to this is yes...but its tricky. There are such things as animal cruelty laws, meaning to a certain degree animals have rights. However, unless you are 100% vegan and live the vegan lifestyle (meaning no leather, none of that) its pretty hypocritical to comment on animal rights. If you gave the cows that normally would go to the slaughterhouse a choice as to whether or not they wanted to get slaughtered, of course they would choose life...its in every animal's basic genetics to survive first and foremost. So if you eat any kind of beef, you support the removal of the basic right to life of a cow. This is why people in other countries don't hesitate to eat cat, dog, horses, etc.

You could theoretically categorize animals and say these animals have rights, these animals don't, but then that seems very hypocritical to me. I once knew a girl (still do) who wasn't a vegetarian, but wouldn't eat the "cute" animals. Seriously. Fish were okay, because they were ugly.

Anyway, I'm of the opinion that yes, animals have rights. However, I believe I'm a hypocrite because I definitely enjoy a nice burger or steak every once in awhile...:)

its in every animal's basic genetics to survive first and foremost. So if you eat any kind of beef, you support the removal of the basic right to life of a cow. she wouldn't eat the "cute" animals. Seriously. Fish were okay, because they were ugly.

Anyway, I'm of the opinion that yes, animals have rights. However, I believe I'm a hypocrite because I definitely enjoy a nice burger or steak every once in awhile...:)

ahhh good old Jrock with a timely "liberal" response:D

well a cheeta decides all of a sudden hey i want to take this gazelles life away, and does it. animals deserve to be eaten, religious or not you have to accept that. religiously: God says its ok to eat them. i say, "ok God i'll eat animals, too bad they dont taste good:D "

non-religiously: tell me what our canine teeth are for then vegatarians? whaza!!!?? vegens just got SERVED!

how you like your steak Jrock? im partial to medium rare or rare, if its still mooing its just really fresh:D , and it has to be bleeding to get tste and texture

Archived