Washington Football Team Logo
Extremeskins

Do animals have rights?

Cdowwe

So youre saying a spider has the right to not be killed when you see one in your house.

Below are 2 possible definitions of animal. I am using the second.

http://education.yahoo.com/reference/dictionary/entry/animal

1. A multicellular organism of the kingdom Animalia, differing from plants in certain typical characteristics such as capacity for locomotion, nonphotosynthetic metabolism, pronounced response to stimuli, restricted growth, and fixed bodily structure.
  2. An animal organism other than a human, especially a mammal.

Below are 2 possible definitions of animal. I am using the second.

http://education.yahoo.com/reference/dictionary/entry/animal

1. A multicellular organism of the kingdom Animalia, differing from plants in certain typical characteristics such as capacity for locomotion, nonphotosynthetic metabolism, pronounced response to stimuli, restricted growth, and fixed bodily structure.
  2. An animal organism other than a human, especially a mammal.

Guess you never learned about the Animal Kingdom which includes bugs, fish, whatever.

And that second definition still includes a spider. It doesnt say only a mammal.

Guess you never learned about the Animal Kingdom which includes bugs, fish, whatever.

And that second definition still includes a spider. It doesnt say only a mammal.

C'mon man, you know what he meant--you don't have to be a dick about it. He's not talking about spiders--he's talking about mammals.

And I agree with AtB. Especially given that I'm about to marry a veterinarian. :)

I guess you have proven your point whatever that is and you are clearly intellectually superior and much smarter than I am.

the right to vote comes with the right to comprehend, as soon as animals can comprehend descisions based on intelect or logic (a desicion process is based on logic from the persons point of view; it doesnt have to be a smart descision;) ) that when animals deserve "rights". if they can get their suferage themslves or even comprehend the fact dumb humans are campaigning for them that when this issue should be taken seriously.

that said animals should not be tortured or killed without cause, hunting is ok if you use the animal or eat it, hunting for pleasure without using the animal in any way is wrong.

and there is a reason animals can't speak for themselves for that argument, they do not have the intelectual capability of human beings. the only animal close enough to that is the dolhpin and if they cant learn to swim around the tuna nets they dont deserve to get a second opinion.

They have the right to exist. So do I and thus can choose to kill a spider in my house which may bite me on the foot.

They don't have individual rights, however. You can kill an individual animal, so long as you don't kill the whole species. But it seems to me to do it as neatly as possible is in the animal's best interest, considering it really doesn't have a choice in the matter. No sense being a complete sadist about it.

~Bang

I guess you have proven your point whatever that is and you are clearly intellectually superior and much smarter than I am.

Damn right I proved my point that I am the superior. Just kidding HOF, didnt meant to sound like a dick. I guess I am trying to see if people give a dog a right not to be harmed, why not something like a bug.

Does anyone think animals have souls?

And I agree with AtB. Especially given that I'm about to marry a veterinarian. :)
just curious but do you have to give up tender, suculent, bleeding medium-rare steak beauties?:D i guess in love you sacrifice.... also curious but what is the reason for your wife-to-be's vegitarianism?

Does anyone think animals have souls?
bible says no; and if they did have souls they would be able to comunicate a little better with us. not to mention the whole point of thinking they have souls would be to acknowledge the exsistance of God, so if animals had souls he would have made a way for them to gain salvation from sin. there ar 2 problems with the following.

1) animals do not sin, they cannot becuase they do not have moral consience or any form of intelect that can comprehend ideas or facts; there is only instinct written in genetic code. if animals do not sin, there is no need for them to have salvation, i.e. they have no need fo souls

2) God does not provide a way for animals to gain salvation in the bible or any other text, there are no biblical acounts or any of relation to the issue, therefore it is suposed that the issue is absolved from the argument.

*high lighted the point of this post for your convienience, if interested please read the rest:)

edit: also the phrase "treat animals humanely" has a flaw, humane is an english word the refers soley to human-treatment of dignity, i guess you could say animanely

I don't support the animal "rights" movement because I don't think animals should have "rights" in the sense that humans do. I do however support the animal welfare movement - and am all for stiff penalties for those that torture animals. People that take pleasure in dealing out pain sicken me and I like the idea of society delivering the message that such people are not wanted and will not be tolerated.

just curious but do you have to give up tender, suculent, bleeding medium-rare steak beauties?:D i guess in love you sacrifice.... also curious but what is the reason for your wife-to-be's vegitarianism?
Ah? My wife-to-be is an animal doctor, not a vegitarian. :)

:rotflmao:

:owned:

And congrautlations Sol... I didn't know you were engaged!

A lawyer and a docter, eh? Movin' on up!! $$cha-ching$$ :D :D

Finally got my piece of the pieyehahaha.

Thanks A. April 8th is the big day.

Now back to your normally scheduled programming. :)

On that note, I hate PETA and nearly everything they stand for.

Well, from my previous experiences with cats we owned, I'd say yeah they do have rights. First and foremost is that they have the right to do just about whatever the hell they want with their humans. ;) And for the dogs..well, it's their right drool on just about anything they want to, including me, among others. :)

Archived