Extremeskins

Cooking Question

Mickalino

Of the two, who has more faith?  

27 members have voted

1. 1. Of the two, who has more faith?

• Christian's
    • Muslim's

I'm cooking up the italian dessert, TiraMisu, for a dinner party this week.

And apparently it consists of raw eggs, and the dessert is not cooked at all, it's basically just mixed and chilled. And I did some digging around on the subject and there are warnings about the possibility of salmonella poisonings.

They recommend that if you want to avoid the risk of salmonella poisoning from the un-cooked eggs, to use pasteurized eggs instead. But I can't find those anywhere.

If I use Organic Eggs, or the Cage-Free Eggs, would I be any less likely to get the salmonella ?

Also, the recipe includes alchohol, a wine and liquor. I wonder if the alchohol in the recipe may actually kill the bacteria and prevent the sickness ? Any other thoughts on this, on how high the risk is, or any suggestions on how to avoid getting me and my friends sick from this dessert ?

I've had so much tiramisu in my lifetime, 90% of it being homemade. No worries about any kind of poisining, although I guess you need to be aware of it from purely a liability standpoint... ;)

One time, about three years ago, a friend of mine made me one that I left outside in freezing temps, just in-case. It's something you need to be aware of, but I don't think there's a great chance of worry as long as you don't let it sit at room temperature for any great length of time.

I'm guessing the risk is probably no higher than eating Sushi, which I do pretty regularly.

I had my first taste of Sushi this past summer when I caught my first

yellowfin tuna and asked one of my buddies if he ever tasted Sushi before, he said no and I said, well don't. It's definitely an acquired taste.

Can't help you with the Tiramisu, but Chili? Now we're talking.

You could try it with a pasturized egg product (like egg beaters) and see if it changes the taste/texture of the dish if you want to be safe. I can't stand the taste of those products alone, but in a dish they usually don't effect the taste or texture much.

But the tricky part is the recipe calls for the yolks and whites to be separated and mixed in 2 different parts of the dessert. So I dont know if the Egg Beaters would work, since I assume they mix the whole egg together at once.

As long as you buy your eggs from a reliable source you should have no problems. Food born illnesses are pretty rare. They are more often the result improper handling techniques. Bacteria need specialized environments in which to grow. If you use eggs from a reliable source and do not allow the to sit in unsanitary conditions you will be fine. I used to have this fear as well, I love cooking so I bought the CIA First Edition text book and that is where I got this information.

The more chemicals the less bacteria?

I dunno, organic food just seems like a buzz word for "more expensive."

There is a reason regular food gets pesticide sprayed on it and animals are shot up with all kinds of chemicals. Hippies may not like it, but the food industry has scientists and nutritionists telling them what is healthist for thier clientele.

The more chemicals the less bacteria?

I dunno, organic food just seems like a buzz word for "more expensive."

There is a reason regular food gets pesticide sprayed on it and animals are shot up with all kinds of chemicals. Hippies may not like it, but the food industry has scientists and nutritionists telling them what is healthist for thier clientele.

Interesting......here's my logic.

Organic Eggs usually come from Cage-Free hens. So I figured if they weren't running around a crowded cage, stepping in each other's "Hen Poop" they would be less likely to pick up bad bacteria from such feces.

Also, if the Organic Eggs are from a hen who was fed a strict grain diet, then healthier hens would have the immune system to fight the bacteria.

Those aren't supposed to be facts.

Just my theories.

Interesting......here's my logic.

Organic Eggs usually come from Cage-Free hens. So I figured if they weren't running around a crowded cage, stepping in each other's "Hen Poop" they would be less likely to pick up bad bacteria from such feces.

Also, if the Organic Eggs are from a hen who was fed a strict grain diet, then healthier hens would have the immune system to fight the bacteria.

Those aren't supposed to be facts.

Just my theories.

You may be right, i have no idea. Im going to stick with the scientists in the labs over the hippies though. I really believe the word "organic" is just a marketing ploy like "Lite" and "Cheesier" They dont really mean ANYTHING, but they look good on the box or bag or carton.

Let us know how it turns out. If we dont hear from you, im going to assume you went with organic eggs and died of food poisoning. :)

It's no more dangerous than eating uncooked cookie dough or brownie mix.

The difference may be in the volume, though.

When you eat raw cookie dough or brownie mix, you're usually just wiping off the edges of the bowl, or just grabbing a bite's worth.

But when you eat is as an atual dessert, or possibly multiple desserts, the volume of raw eggs is much higher, therefore the risk may be much higher.

You may be right, i have no idea. Im going to stick with the scientists in the labs over the hippies though. I really believe the word "organic" is just a marketing ploy like "Lite" and "Cheesier" They dont really mean ANYTHING, but they look good on the box or bag or carton.

You tryin to say that you don't wipe your *** with organic toilet paper ???

Ewwww.

Mickalino, I'm curious, does your Tiramisu recipe call for mascarpone to be used along with heavy cream? If so, leave out the heavy cream in favor of more mascarpone. It makes one hell of a difference and tastes a lot better with just mascarpone.

Just make sure it is organic mascarpone!

The difference may be in the volume, though.

When you eat raw cookie dough or brownie mix, you're usually just wiping off the edges of the bowl, or just grabbing a bite's worth.

But when you eat is as an atual dessert, or possibly multiple desserts, the volume of raw eggs is much higher, therefore the risk may be much higher.

If a raw egg contains salmonella, one bite is enough to get you sick.

Archived