Washington Football Team Logo
Extremeskins

Holocaust denier Irving is jailed

Winslowalrob

I've commented on this earlier ... I don't think this is a simple issue of free speech. I'm not comfortable with the law myself, and I think the best counter to arguments like Irving's is to expose them for the lies they are.

However, a number of European countries have taken action over the years to make denial of the Holocaust a crime, because this issue has been the focus of a concerted campaign by neo-Nazis and fascists to establish the horrific anti-Semitism seen earlier in the 20th century. This is not just hate speech, it is a campaign to demonize Jews, portray Hitler as a good guy, and strengthen support for fascism in countires such as Germany and Austria where neo-Nazi parties are still highly visible.

There's a good overview of the Denial at:

http://www.bbc.co.uk/history/war/genocide/deniers_01.shtml

Irving spoke regularly on this issue to extreme right-wing and anti-Semitic groups throughout Europe, and around the world. One of his famous quotes is ""more women died on the back seat of Edward Kennedy's car at Chappaquiddick than died in a gas chamber in Auschwitz".

Then jail him for instigating. Not for saying there was no holocaust. Even a right winger has the right to say whatever crap he wants.

And ANYONE can be a historian, I am pretty sure that Pat Robertson got his PhD in history.

I think the laws banning denying the holocaust as well as laws banning Nazi symbolism such as the swaskita have very pragmatic reasons behind them. Germany has twice started wars that have consumed Europe, destroyed the German economy, and literally broke the country into peices. For decades.

The 2nd one was pretty much voted for by the people, having been stirred into a frenzy by 1 particularly ambitious man that took advantage of circumstances.

I think these laws are in place so that the people never lose sight of the past. That is a period of history that most germans would probably rather forget in a perfect world. Those that forget the past are condemned to repeat it.

Archived