Washington Football Team Logo
Extremeskins

Make Football an Olympic Sport...please...

RedskinPryde

OK. After watching the winter olympics so far this year, some of the stuff in there is actually pretty cool and interesting. But, I think the world needs alot more competitive sports then Sleding and Curling. Jeez. I mean Curling is the most ridiculus thing ive ever seen in the Olympics. People can actualy win gold medals for doing that stuff. You slide a rock to a target and have your teammates scrub the floor infront of the rock while its moving. It sounds more like a punishment to me. The Winter Olympics are running out of sports and they need to put Football in the Olympics, The Real Sport. :logo:

OK. After watching the winter olympics so far this year, some of the stuff in there is actually pretty cool and interesting. But, I think the world needs alot more competitive sports then Sleding and Curling. Jeez. I mean Curling is the most ridiculus thing ive ever seen in the Olympics. People can actualy win gold medals for doing that stuff. You slide a rock to a target and have your teammates scrub the floor infront of the rock while its moving. It sounds more like a punishment to me. The Winter Olympics are running out of sports and they need to put Football in the Olympics, The Real Sport. :logo:

Sports have to be played not only in a certain number of countries but also on a certain number of continents (I believe it's 5) to be considered for the Olympics. Football has a long way to go.

Rugby should be a sport in the Olympics before Football. Rugby used to be an event, but got taken out for insurance reasons I believe. Not to mention EVERY country has a team. Time to let it back in. Besides it's better then the others that have been brought up like...bowling, chess, and golf.

NFL Europe doesn't apply?

Even if it did, I count two continents and a dozen or so countries. That doesn't even take into account the fact that so many of those players are American.

When I was in Germany I met a native German about my age who played American Football in a youth league in his town. The coaches in the league were part of some exchange program, and I'm guessing maybe German coaches came to America to teach soccer or something. The sport is growing internationally, but it's not where it needs to be yet to even be considered for the Olympics.

Only the US and Canada play football, so there's little chance.

Bingo!!!!!!!!!!!!!

Plus when would you have it in the winter or the summer? The way the football season is it would not be good timing. Plus the NFL Europe teams are all players from the US except one or two :laugh:

I hate that excuse. I really, really do. If you're proud of your country, how hard is it to go play for them regardless of what may happen? We have people at war for us right now risking their LIVES for America, and we make a big freakin' deal out of our star players going overseas because they may miss some time? Ridiculous.

']Even if other countries did play' date=' I wouldn't want Michael Strahan risking injury and his career with the Giants to play in the Olympics. Would you guys want to worry about Moss playing in the Olympics?[/quote']

Well, I would worry about Moss.

But not so much about Strahan

:silly:

the US would just dominate the sport too easily pretty much. It wouldn't be completely fair. Also, can you imagine the amount of headcases on the team? Well, headcases/thug (for lack of a better term). Think of 53 athletes walking into the Olympics, I mean, that just seems cause for trouble really. Many may not like each other much as it is, and they definitely are not the brightest bunch compared to other athletes in the olympics.

The Super Bowl will still mean more to football players, just like the World Cup means more to soccer players than do the Olympics. Our players may not even choose to go either.

I hate that excuse. I really, really do. If you're proud of your country, how hard is it to go play for them regardless of what may happen? We have people at war for us right now risking their LIVES for America, and we make a big freakin' deal out of our star players going overseas because they may miss some time? Ridiculous.[/Quote]

There was no comparison being made to men and women serving our country in the military. I don't even think the comparison is valid here. The thread was about football in the Olympics. That is what my statement was regarding. Men and women risking their lives for our country had nothing to do with the topic stated.

Football is one of the most brutal sports there is. To make it a sport for a medal seems to me quite unnecessary. And for the reason I stated. As was also mentioned, the players themselves would never go for this because their careers are short enough. Adding extra risk is not something I think they would go for, even to represent their country.

I think some of the international teams might surprise us... only because football is such a team sport.

If we put together an all-star college or pro team who had not played together, they would be at a severe disadvantage against, say, a Croatian team who trained and played together every month for 4 years straight. :2cents:

But they would still most likely get walloped. :)

I hate that excuse. I really, really do. If you're proud of your country, how hard is it to go play for them regardless of what may happen? We have people at war for us right now risking their LIVES for America, and we make a big freakin' deal out of our star players going overseas because they may miss some time? Ridiculous.

So, um, you're comparing the war on terror to uh, a football game? I know we all take football very seriously, but try to keep things in perspective here.

The US could line up all practice squad guys and still crush an all star team from all other countries combined.

']

Football is one of the most brutal sports there is. To make it a sport for a medal seems to me quite unnecessary. And for the reason I stated. As was also mentioned' date=' the players themselves would never go for this because their careers are short enough. Adding extra risk is not something I think they would go for, even to represent their country.[/quote']

Good point Tom. The Olympics is an exhibition. Just look how hard players play in another exhibition game, the ProBowl. Not very. Why? Because the human knee is very fragile.

curling isnt a sport; its a competition. that why they are the olympic GAMES, not sports. the olympics is about competion, not just sports. also football is great, but it will never be voted in as an olympic sport, olympic sports are generally individual competitions. there are fewer team games, not to mention they just took baseball out, so football doesnt have a snowballs chance in hell

']Football is one of the most brutal sports there is. Adding extra risk is not something I think they would go for' date=' even to represent their country.[/quote'] i can think of some very brutal sports more deserving to go to the olympics than american football, rugby for example, thats a true mans sport. plus i think that guys in other countries who play rugby would have the balls to go up against the US in our version of football; to them its nothing. the only reason our guys wouldn't represent our country is that they have no pride in america or themsleves, i think given the oportunity most of our guys would go.

i can think of some very brutal sports more deserving to go to the olympics than american football, rugby for example, thats a true mans sport. plus i think that guys in other countries who play rugby would have the balls to go up against the US in our version of football; to them its nothing.

I play rugby with alot of people from other coutries. They'd never be able to play American football. The reason...too boring, and not enough action. Too much start and go ;) . Those are their actually words btw.

Archived