Washington Football Team Logo
Extremeskins

All Things Ricky Williams and Drug Tests (Lifetime Ban Merged)

sableholic

Technically, you are a criminal if you're smoking dope. We're not here to deliberate over whether it should be legal, we're here to discuss an NFL player's use of the substance.

If you play in the NFL, you have to adhere to their rules and regulations.

I didn't realize there were those kind of parameters limiting what we could "deliberate over." :rolleyes:

Look. Marijuana is relatively harmless. It is certainly no worse than drinking. It is silly to lay a guy off for a year, or put a guy in jail, over something like it. When such an injustice happens one has a right to label it as such.

The fact that there is a law about something does not entail that the law is right. Remember slavery and segregation were once legally permissable and alcohol was once illegal. By your logic, those laws should have never been questoned. The law is suppossed to be questioned in a democratic society. Our legal codes are for and of the people, not handed down by God.

I didn't realize there were those kind of parameters limiting what we could "deliberate over." :rolleyes:

Look. Marijuana is relatively harmless. It is certainly no worse than drinking. It is silly to lay a guy off for a year, or put a guy in jail, over something like it. When such an injustice happens one has a right to label it as such.

The fact that there is a law about something does not entail that the law is right. Remember slavery and segregation were once legally permissable and alcohol was once illegal. By your logic, those laws should have never been questoned. The law is suppossed to be questioned in a democratic society. Our legal codes are for and of the people, not handed down by God.

Murder is also a illegal as well, but I guess thats not right either? Anybody can play that game. You can't compare two completely different laws. Does alcohol lead to the use of other drugs?

Not really the point of this discussion though, Ricky was told not to do it and what would happen if he did. The fault is on him alone. They have rules for a reason.

Murder is also a illegal as well, but I guess thats not right either? Anybody can play that game.
OK. I see where you are confused. I'll explain it to you using your own example: murder.

Murder is wrong. It is illegal because it is wrong, not wrong because it is illegal. If the law said murder was OK, it would still be wrong. You see? Murder is wrong whether or not the law says so. Just the same, there is nothing wrong with smokin' a li'l dope regardless of what the law says.

While we are speaking of it, I should point out that certain kinds of murder are legal (if we define murder as prematurely ending human life). Capital punishment, abortion, and waging war come to my mind. I won't venture a geuss as to whether those laws are on the side of right or wrong. However, it is worth noting that issues about murder and legality are not as clear as they may seem at first.

Does alcohol lead to the use of other drugs?
I'll put it to you this way: I've never seen a drug adict who didn't drink. Furthermore, I would bet they started drinking before they started doing drugs.

the 'another micheal irvin' comment is assinine.

First off, you are the utterly stupid one.... its asinine

And second off , i was just comparing him to Irvin, they both are into illegal activities.. whats the difference? what he IS doing is illegal, just like Irvin. Are you defending irvin or something? Kids look up to these guys

and the ones like these guys are POS's in my honest opinion for letting KIDS down, more than anything. I dont care what team they play for.

Who cares. Let him smoke dope if he wants. Its not like it is a performance enhancer.

Are they now testing for marijuana in the offseason? No wonder he quit. I'll tell you this much: If I was an NFL running back, I'd probably want a hit. Those guys get beat up bad man. . .

Won't it be nice when they actually make it legal?

~Bang

OK. I see where you are confused. I'll explain it to you using your own example: murder.

Murder is wrong. It is illegal because it is wrong, not wrong because it is illegal. If the law said murder was OK, it would still be wrong. You see? Murder is wrong whether or not the law says so. Just the same, there is nothing wrong with smokin' a li'l dope regardless of what the law says.

How do you tell whats right and wrong? Wrong is relative to your definition of wrong. So say I think marijuana is wrong, well then thats what I think. Crazy how that works eh? Just because you say its not wrong doesn't mean its not. However, until the majority of society views it as "ok" the laws won't reflect that. Comparing the fight for legalization to Marijuana with the fight for civil rights just seemed very foolish to me.

However again this isn't the point of the arguement. He was warned numerous times what would happen if he did it again. And also the reports don't identify his drug of choice. If it's heroine how would you feel?

Here is a take on Ricky from http://www.robertlittal.com .. this dude is funny

The Chronic 2006 2-20-06

I have a confirmed report that

Pretty Ricky (click on his name for full story)

Williams has failed another drug test and in

all likelihood will be suspended for the year.

Pretty Ricky just couldn’t stay away from the

Chronic. The sticky icky has a way of pulling you

back in, no matter how many yoga classes you take.

No matter how many Holistic Classes you take,

sometimes you find yourself sitting at home watching

Cinemax After Dark and that blunt is just calling your

name. Next thing you know you are sitting on the

couch watching your 3rd episode Passion’s Cove with a

bag of Red Hot Riplets, a 2 liter of grapeVess soda

and a blunt Snoop Dogg would be proud of. To be

honest I am shocked Pretty Ricky made it through the

year, but in his honor I will roll up a phat one

for him this evening (even though I don’t smoke).

How do you tell whats right and wrong? Wrong is relative to your definition of wrong. So say I think marijuana is wrong, well then thats what I think. Crazy how that works eh?
Careful with that relativism. It is so nihilistic it is self defeating. Say I think relatavisim is wrong. Then it is. You see?
However, until the majority of society views it as "ok" the laws won't reflect that.
Its interesting that you should say that because many public opinion polls suggest that the majority actually favors legalization. The laws are starting to catch up to public opinion too. Its legal in Denver now, for example.
Comparing the fight for legalization to Marijuana with the fight for civil rights just seemed very foolish to me.
Indeed. I was just trying to point out that the law is not always just/good/right. The Civil Rights Movement was one of this country's proudest moments. Reforming silly marijuana laws is nothing in comparison.
However again this isn't the point of the arguement. He was warned numerous times what would happen if he did it again. And also the reports don't identify his drug of choice. If it's heroine how would you feel?
Ricky strikes me as an average stoner (i.e. just weed). Do you really think it is heroine?

You are right about one thing though: He was warned and knew better. That still doesn't change the fact that it is a silly rule.

Archived