Washington Football Team Logo
Extremeskins

Saunders and the role of the H-Back?

PleaseBlitz

Just curious to see if anyone has any theories on what the Skins offense is going to look like next year. This year, with Gibbs as the architect, the Skins ran an uncoventional offense in that it utilized Chris Cooley as an H-back rather than a traditional fullback on many plays. Presnap Cooley would line up in the back field or on the line of scrimmage, go in motion, and would end up just about anywhere when the ball was snapped. He was used as a blocker and extensively as a reciever. Robert Royal was the primary TE, but rarely was involved in the passing game.

Al Saunders is now obtensibly our offensive coordinator and Joe Gibbs has said that he will be the primary decision maker on offense. His privious team, the Chiefs, ran a traditional set with Priest/Johnson as tailback, Tony Richardson as a blocking fullback, and Tony Gonzalez at TE who functions mostly as a pass catcher.

Seems to me to be a fundamental difference. I know both Saunders and Gibbs are products of the Air Coryell system, but does anyone have any thoughts on how the 2 systems will blend together?

There were a couple of very good links up on his offense a few weeks back

Spoke of the 5 building blocks that he has and the foundations of it

I don't think he has a true "h-back" per say, but obviously utilizes a TE very well as evidenced by Tony G

I guess if you do a search for 5 building blocks you may find some good links

If we start using a FB it could be interesting, not in a good way. Sellers is a good blocker but getting up there in age, and Portis does not like running behind a FB. Also, what does that do to Cooley? That mixes three people into the backfield (Portis, Sellers, Cooley) and also Royal at TE. Well........... I guess that would work, since we only have one receiver as it is, why bother even lining up someone across from Moss. :whoknows:

Thoughts?

Guest mwill008

I don't see much changing except for more use of Betts and Portis in the passing game and also little twerks in the protection game. the chiefs and the Skins ran a similiar offense. Gonzalez is a bettter reciever than a blocker; Cooley does both well. we will see Cpt Chaos( love that new T-Shirt) lining up as a TE and FB.Saunders have alot more weapons that in Kansas.

Portis does not like running behind a FB.

Except Mike Sellers. Portis has been effusive in his praise for Sellers as a blocking back.

Remember that fullback is Rock Cartwright's natural position. He was kind of a victim of Gibb's system which didn't have a real place for him. Maybe next year the Redskins keep Portis, Betts, and Broughton at tailback with Sellers and Cartwright at fullback.

So if Saunders wants to use a fullback I think we're ready to go. There is also the matter of Manuel White to be resolved. I think he's really a fullback too.

I'd have to disagree. Portis has mentioned on countless occasions how much easier it is to run behind a guy like Sellars.

Yeah, I think Sellers will get alot more playing time this year. He was usually a blocker on 3rd and Short and on Goaline play. I see Cooley get alot more PT at Tight End and Sellers taking over the H-Back role.

Changes in the offense will be....

WR1. Santana WR2.??? WR3.David Patten WR4. James Thrash WR5. Jimmy Farris

TE1. Chris Cooley TE2. ???

HB1. Clinton Portis HB2. Ladell Betts HB3. Nemo Broughton

FB. Mike Sellers

QB. Jason Cambell QB2. Mark Brunell QB3. Casey Bramlett

i think they will move chris cooley to TE because saunders had tony gonzalez and he mostly ran routes and did not blocked. this would make mike sellers the starting FB. i think we will only have 1 addition to the WR corp and then cut a few for cap reasons. same with TE and FB.

they will use a TE in almost all accasions with three WR or two WR and 1 FB. every now and then a two TE set will be played but mostly a running play. at least thats what they did in KansasCity.

I would love to see us find a way to get Cooley and Sellars on the field together more... I think Saunders will do that.

With Portis, Moss, Cooley, and Sellars... I think we have more offensive firepower than most (Skins fans) think, in terms of personnel. :2cents:

Now who's going to get them the ball?

Saunders is a great offensive mind but so were many of Joe Gibbs offensive coaches in the past. This is still Joe Gibbs team, don't even think its Al Saunders! It was already said there is no need of major changes, just new wrinkles added and we all knew we needed that.

What Al Saunders brings to the Redskins offense is the same thing GW brought to our Defense, ATTACK! Saunders will use Moss, Patten, Cooley, and especialy Portis down field, which is what we lacked in the season with Portis. Then a 280lb bowling ball in Sellers we never even ran in short yardage.

We hammered Portis running when we could of used him in the passing game a lot more, He has very good hands and would have to be covered by linebackers who can't catch him, theres a double threat right there.

Al Saunders will use every weapon the Offense has and he will go for the throat of a Defense. We wont be watching Defense's stack 8 and 9 in the box to stop Portis, or they will be torched through the air.

If they want to roll there secondary to double and triple Moss, there will be other recievers 30 or more yards down field and wide open. Saunders gets teams down by at least 2 touch downs and take them out of there game plan.

If he had the defense he does now with us the last 5 years, the Patriots would of never had a dynasty, KC would have owned the NFL. Gibbs will fill our reciever spots needed and a few others, Al Saunders will use every weapon Gibbs gives him.

This thread is right up my alley!

I have a different take -- I think IMHO that we will ADD a TE (more of a pass-catcher type) through the draft or through FA (proabably through the draft).

The picture that I have is Gibbs and Saunders cackling over the cauldron of sets, formations, and plays they will have using Cooley as an H-Back and a pass-catching TE together. Even more, having the pass-catching TE and H-Back in the game together takes the pressure off of the #2 receiver position.

Of course, we will still have the power running game, for which we are all set.

Just curious to see if anyone has any theories on what the Skins offense is going to look like next year. This year, with Gibbs as the architect, the Skins ran an uncoventional offense in that it utilized Chris Cooley as an H-back rather than a traditional fullback on many plays. Presnap Cooley would line up in the back field or on the line of scrimmage, go in motion, and would end up just about anywhere when the ball was snapped. He was used as a blocker and extensively as a reciever. Robert Royal was the primary TE, but rarely was involved in the passing game.

Really?? All that stuff happened?? I mean, geez...how'd I miss all that? ;):silly:

Al Saunders is now obtensibly our offensive coordinator and Joe Gibbs has said that he will be the primary decision maker on offense. His privious team, the Chiefs, ran a traditional set with Priest/Johnson as tailback, Tony Richardson as a blocking fullback, and Tony Gonzalez at TE who functions mostly as a pass catcher.

Seems to me to be a fundamental difference. I know both Saunders and Gibbs are products of the Air Coryell system, but does anyone have any thoughts on how the 2 systems will blend together?

Tony G is not a pure TE...he is kind of a hybrid H-Back/TE. He is constantly in motion to exploit matchups and lines up split out, in the slot, on the line and I believe even in the backfield every once in awhile, but I could be wrong. This is one of the characteristics of the H-Back...Tony is about as close as you can get without actually calling him one. :2cents:

Archived