Washington Football Team Logo
Extremeskins

Countdown: 30 Days 'till Taylor's Trial

grassyglen

no gun

only witnesses are the people who stole his ATV's

lack of evidence, Taylor plays in 06.

That simple, now everybody Chill

Just think what would happen if he did go to jail though? Our secondary would be demolished and its not like wed have enough cap room to go after veteran safeties like Tank Williams(whos good and played in Gregg Williams defence before).

http://blogs.foxsports.com/DrCrab/NFL

An interesting take on the topic, just scroll down a little bit.

Good link, gunny. Thx.

Here it is, btw:

Florida "Justice": 46 Years in the Hole

Jan 27, 2006 | 10:36PM |

A prosecutor wanting some publicity for a future political career waived his magic wand yesterday and potentially added 30 years to Sean Taylor's sentence, should he be convicted. The question on Taylor's defense attorney's lips was, "Why now?" Nothing has changed with the case, it's just been pushed back a few times. The initial charges seemed excessive before. When Marcus Vick waived a gun at some teens (a similar activity to what Taylor is charged with) he can't even be sentenced to a year in the joint. So why is 46 years on the table tonight?

Some states have different conceptions of justice. Mandatory sentencing, which is at work in Taylor's case, is instituted in many states throughout the country--North, South, East and West. These laws were enacted because people felt judges and juries were too lenient on criminals. This was another way to "get tough" on crime. There are some problems that have cropped up with these minium sentences. The most glaring is the burden of cost and overcrowding of managing a prison system bursting at the seams. Louisiana had the highest per-capita prison population and decided to repeal some mandatory sentencing laws to ease the pain. (They target non violent drug offenders for lieniency--rightly so.)

So where does this leave Sean Taylor? He was facing an extreme mandatory sentence, and now it's been tripled. Does he deserve to spend 46 years in prison for threatening someone with a gun? No. Unfortunately, there have been others in Florida, and elsewhere in the United States, who have slipped up only once (and I don't mean murder) only to have their freedom taken away from them for double-digit years. It's too bad an ejucated judge can't decide these things on a case-by-case basis and let the punishment fit the crime.

from what I understand there are other witnesses to the events...

The alleged actions of Taylor exactly meet the requirements of the charge of "agrevated assault with a firearm" Which in the state of FL carries a minimum 3 years sentence if convicted. The idea that Taylor thought these guys stole anything from him is irrelevant, vigilante justice is not an acceptable defense. The possibillity that these guys shot at him/his property after the fact is irrelevant concerning his charges.

I'm not saying he is guilty, or will be found guilty by the court. I am saying that there is a very real possibility that he is convicted and serves time. Anyone who thinks that he is as good as acquited may be in for a big surprise.

There is a way around "mandatory" sentences. I used to be a police officer in WV, where there is a "mandatory" 24-hours in jail for a first offense DUI. However, our gutless prosecutors would often allow people charged with first offense DUI to plead to a lesser offense, such as reckless driving. Such a plea allowed them to avoid the jail time.

I'm not saying Taylor needs to start thinking about a plea. I don't know what the actual evidence is. All I'm saying is don't be fooled by the expression "mandatory sentence."

no gun

only witnesses are the people who stole his ATV's

lack of evidence, Taylor plays in 06.

That simple, now everybody Chill

Now here's a real Redskin fan who knows what he's talking about....and, oh, by the way I think Ray Lewis was a lot closer to the institute and never smelled it because he was always innocent....Sean Taylor found guilty? That's not even a posibility.

Archived