Washington Football Team Logo
Extremeskins

would anyone want to see LaVar at de?

mamiskin212689

Lavar had a good year under Lewis when he was used some at DE. I wouldn't want him playing there though because he is too undersized at the position to hold up against the run. I think he would excell best in the 3-4, ala Shawn Merriman (forget Joey Porter). The 3-4 would also give us some more opportunities to give Chris Clemons some PT, and if McCune is coming along some reps for him too.

BTW...McCune is a guy that I think could throw on some weight and make that transition. In college he had a knack for shedding blockers and he is strong as a horse.

Lavar had a good year under Lewis when he was used some at DE. I wouldn't want him playing there though because he is too undersized at the position to hold up against the run. I think he would excell best in the 3-4, ala Shawn Merriman (forget Joey Porter). The 3-4 would also give us some more opportunities to give Chris Clemons some PT, and if McCune is coming along some reps for him too.

BTW...McCune is a guy that I think could throw on some weight and make that transition. In college he had a knack for shedding blockers and he is strong as a horse.

LA's primary duty was still at LB, though. With GW's schemes LA has played DT at times, but he was still primarily a WLB. Given some of the plays I saw him make last year and the role that DE's seem to play in GW's defense, I think it'd be a waste to play him there. If you think we have better options (I don't), figure out how to cut or trade him.

I'd like to see him play end in similar situations that Chris Clemons comes in on. However if Williams feels Lavar needs to work more on his OLB skills then I'd rather see him do that so he can be on the field more. Someone mentioned him lined up at DE on fake passrushes. I think that could work pretty well for zone blitz's to confuse the pass protection.

Before he plays DE, i just want to keep him. I like him better at OLB, but he could be like Joey Porter and play DE occasionally. I agree that he needs to free-lance. He needs to be a disruptive force on the field like he used to be. If we play him full time he'll start to do what he used to. I think Gregg Williams has a plan for him, but for now, he should stay at OLB.

No Way!!!....You gotta ask yourselves the following:

1. Is Lavars' knee is sound enough to carry the extra weight needed for a switch to DE?

2. Will Lavar lose speed with the extra lbs.?

3. Does Lavar have the technical moves to compensate the probable speed loss?

Too many ? marks for me. I'll pass! OLB.

Arrington doesnt look to me like he has the lower body strength to play DE, not to say he isnt strong but he is fast as hell and has a lot of upper body strength, he wouldnt be able to stand his ground at DE, and would be a bad run stopper once he let a tackle get inside him, or gets cracked by a pulling guard.

Archived