Washington Football Team Logo
Extremeskins

Reuters: Bode (Miller) says he could ‘give up tomorrow’

zoony

I hesitate to even say it, but I think Bode has some pretty good points in this article. What do you guys think?

http://www.msnbc.msn.com/id/11385083/

Bode says he could ‘give up tomorrow’

U.S. star not worried about winning medals, says fame is ‘poison’

SESTRIERE, Italy - Bode Miller is not bothered about Olympic medals and could walk away from the sport of ski racing at any time without a single regret, the American says in an interview.

“It is other people who want me to win medals,” Miller said in an interview with Italy’s Gazzetta dello Sport newspaper on Thursday.

“The silver medals I won in Salt Lake City didn’t give me anything. Last year I set myself the goal of winning the World Cup and lining up a long series of wins. It was my private challenge.

For rest of story click on link.

You have to agree with him on doping. If it wasn't for outside pressures there would be no doping. You think athletes would cheat the system just to prove something to themselves? Unless they are like "Memento Man" and have no memory of having cheated, what would be the point?

skinstzar, did you read the article? i have to agree with most of his points.

I read the article, I've seen the interviews and I have watched him race. Miller doesn't get that he is part of the US Olympic TEAM. Sure Skiing is an individual sport but it is built around the team concept. Just shut up and Ski. He said earlier this week when he was disqualified that he atleast didn't have to trek to Torino for the Medal Ceremony. The guy is a headcase. He is the TO of Skiing. If fame is hurting him so much and the medals are not so important to him then he should recuse himself from the competition.

He is a skier by trade, the sole purpose of any athlete is to win. When you decide that you don't want to win and it is all the other people's desire for him to win, than you need to go. I am sure that the guy that came just short of making the olympic ski team would have gone out to win. This guy is a major a-hole

Of course he's skiing to win, its not like he's not trying to go as fast as he can. He's just not going to pretend to do it for you, or for NIKE, or even for America. I think he would say the same things if he won medals. He's just not buying in to the hype of the "do it for your this or that" attitude. It's the way he has been in every race, why should it change for the Olympics. The people who dont understand this are probably the same people who complain about the Olympics not being "real sports" until February, and then just look at it like theatre while the games are going on.

His points are ok, but I'm tired of him. If he doesn't care, then why race in the first place? He just takes this nonchalant attitude whenever he doesn't win. Maybe its a defense mechanisim....but whatever, like I said, I'm tired of him.

Not really--I've met the guy and he was always much more about doing whatever felt right for him. Racing kind of sucks too...you are constantly training, there is *NO* money in it, and it ravages your body. Most of the racers I know quit and either ski recreationally now, or are like me, and barely make it to the hill.

For all those posting in this thread: I think if you actually knew him and didn't get all of your information from Reuters, you might have a slightly different opinion of the guy...especially if you understood what it's like to be a ski racer.

Not really--I've met the guy and he was always much more about doing whatever felt right for him. Racing kind of sucks too...you are constantly training, there is *NO* money in it, and it ravages your body. Most of the racers I know quit and either ski recreationally now, or are like me, and barely make it to the hill.

For all those posting in this thread: I think if you actually knew him and didn't get all of your information from Reuters, you might have a slightly different opinion of the guy...especially if you understood what it's like to be a ski racer.

If he doesn't like it then he doesn't have to do it. The Olympics have special meaning, and when you compete there you are competing for and representing your country. I think his attitude sucks.

I agree with the doping stuff, but I think Skinstzar hit the nail on the head.

Would any of you guys appreciate hearing Mark Brunell or Sean Taylor or anyone on the Skins team decided they didn't want to win. I understand Skiing isn't exactly a team sport but he is representing us. If he doesn't care he should shut up and go home.

If he doesn't like it then he doesn't have to do it. The Olympics have special meaning, and when you compete there you are competing for and representing your country. I think his attitude sucks.

Some people don't buy into that. Ski racing is not a team sport. It's purely individual--except that you sometimes get course reports from your teammates, that's it.

And even if his attitude isn't to your liking, would you rather have someone representing the US that's got a really good chance to win gold or someone who really wants to be there, but sucks?

Some people don't buy into that. Ski racing is not a team sport. It's purely individual--except that you sometimes get course reports from your teammates, that's it.

And even if his attitude isn't to your liking, would you rather have someone representing the US that's got a really good chance to win gold or someone who really wants to be there, but sucks?

I skied with guys on the B-team when I was a kid. I'd rather have men like that with the attitudes they had racing. Screw Bode.

What he's really saying here is that partying is more important than representing your country. Being selected to the US Olympic team is a honor,privilege and a responsibility. Once he accepted his position on the team, he should follow thru with the best performance that he can give for his country and his team. If he wasn't prepared to do that, he should not have accepted the position on the team.

He knows that he lacks the disapline to put aside partying to put in good performance, but instead of admitting that, he's giving this very lame BS about how is above it, or over it, or not interested anymore Bull****. Those are just excuses for why he's f-ing up. And that's exactly what he is a ****up, no more, no less.

What he's really saying here is that partying is more important than representing your country. Being selected to the US Olympic team is a honor,privilege and a responsibility. Once he accepted his position on the team, he should follow thru with the best performance that he can give for his country and his team. If he wasn't prepared to do that, he should not have accepted the position on the team.

He knows that he lacks the disapline to put aside partying to put in good performance, but instead of admitting that, he's giving this very lame BS about how is above it, or over it, or not interested anymore Bull****. Those are just excuses for why he's f-ing up. And that's exactly what he is a ****up, no more, no less.

Not really Dean. He's had that same attitude since I rode chairs with him at Mt. Hood in 1997. Just ask people who went to BMA with him.

Ask yourself WWJGD. It is about having a mix of skill and the right attitude you can have all of one and none of the other, that will make you worthless. Bode Miller has all the talent but he doesn't understand competition and the spirit of the Olympics.

Ask yourself WWJGD. It is about having a mix of skill and the right attitude you can have all of one and none of the other, that will make you worthless. Bode Miller has all the talent but he doesn't understand competition and the spirit of the Olympics.

Or doesn't care. If I were in his place, would I make the same decisions? No. Do I support his decision? Not really, but that's who this guy is. The U.S. wanted him there because he is our best shot of winning a medal--and they had to have known going in what he was going to be like, if was important enough for them to keep him on the team. If the attitude you are talking about was so important to the USST, then he wouldn't have gone to the Olympics or have remained on the team for as long as he has.

What he is saying is that its not a team sport. So your point is moot. Any analogy to the Redskins doesn't work. You think Bode Miller is not competitive? He is, he just doesn't project it onto his competition, he projects it on himself. And if its all about the Olympic spirit that he is not respecting, well, he's not the first athlete to show hesitancy to absorb the Olympic hoopla, which, let's be honest, is kind of fake anyway.

That's great you're buddies with him but I still don't care for his attitude.

My point in mentioning it was not to flaunt my relationship, or the fact that I've met him a few times--we're certainly not friends, but I've got a sense of who the guy is. And you can't really get a sense of who someone really is until you meet them in person--and so I decided to offer my personal experience so you guys could hear an alternate perspective on this topic.

Archived