Washington Football Team Logo
Extremeskins

Why I care about the Cheney hunting accident

Predicto

Yes, we conservatives certainly would like to sweep this under the rug. I'm not even about to deny that. But, given the way the liberal media (sans Fox) exploited and beat the **** out of the dead horse that was Abu Ghraib, I think it would be nice if our own media didn't do everything possible to put their own country in the WORST possible light and fueling even more hatred for us. Realistically speaking, however, the media are a bunch of sharks, and Cheney's story a feeding frenzy. That's the nature of the beast, but we reserve the right to be sickened by it. Am I saying the Bush administration should've covered this up? No. But, we need to consider how this makes us look in the world. Regardless of partisan ideology and liberals salivating over this, you're still apart of this country, and believe it or not, this makes all of us look bad. Does that slow down the frenzy? Nope.

And yes, I believe Clinton's Lewinsky mess was out of control too. Also, I don't think this warranted a separate thread on the issue considering there are 150 others in the Tailgate. But I suppose that just proves my point. People are going to push this to the top of the message board for as long as possible, whether writing new articles or new threads.

Here's the thing, you don't think this specific topic deserves its own thread yet you respond with this swill. If you don't think it should be talked about, shut up and stop posting. When you post, you move it to the top again so you are actually the problem you're complaining about.

Everything in your first paragraph applies to YOU more than the liberally minded people you are directing it at.

Great thread Predicto!

The last time I check the Vice President of the United States was human and prone to make errors. Sure it's news worthy at first because no one knew what happend. Now, we find out it was just a horrible accident and the story should start to go away. However, I'm sure just as another poster mentioned about Abu Gharib every lib rag will carry this story as front page news for the next 6 months to a year.

JP, it's newsworthy because the VP of the US almost killed one of his friends. People are interested in death, murder, killing etc. and when it happens with celebrities (even pseudo celebrities like Scott Peterson or Robert Blake), people tend to be very interested. And as you know, in any gun/hunting safety class you are always taught not to pull the trigger until you are sure you have a shot that's clear of any person--at least that's how the classes I took (and the NRA videos I've watched) made it seem. It's not like Cheney forgot to put the cover sheets on his TPS reports--he almost killed someone! That's big news.

Why aren't you still talking about the Hamilton vs Burr Duel? I mean come on how often do two founding fathers square off in a duel and one shoot and kills the other? You're lazy and slipping....

Hmmm. I'll venture a guess. One was about 200 years ago and one was about one hundred hours ago?

This is definitely news. But it is news like Brad got Angelina pregnant, not news like Oh ****, a plane just crashed into the Pentagon.

Its joke news. Its going to be the focus of Jay Leno and Conan and Jon Stewart to take pot shots at for the next few weeks until somebody else famous does something equally stupid. Which wont take long. This IS NOT news that is going to affect the lives OF ANYONE not directly involved. Joke news.

Agreed. What annoys me about this is the press and people who think that it is major news that affects our lives. Normally it wouldn't annoy me, because politics is way down the list of things I care about, but this story annoys me because everyone with an opinion about it has to start a new thread, while truly worthwile threads have been pushed off the front page of Tailgate because of it. What happened to the Greatest Simpsons Quotes or Crazy 9/11 Theories threads? Oh, another 'My Take on Cheney's Accident' thread....

Ironically, because Fox got the interview, they have had significantly more coverage of the issue last night and today than CNN.

How do you fit that into your rationalization?

Um, let's see.

Option A: Get interviewed by a bunch of people that hate me.

Option B: Get interviewed by a bunch of people that like me.

This was Cheney's first public response. Did you expect him to go hiding in some undisclosed location until this "blew over?" Fox spared him the character assault CNN would've executed. Now let's see which networks cover it the most. Fox is saying, "There you have it folks, straight from the horse's mouth." CNN will be covering this ad nauseum until September.

Here's the thing, you don't think this specific topic deserves its own thread yet you respond with this swill. If you don't think it should be talked about, shut up and stop posting. When you post, you move it to the top again so you are actually the problem you're complaining about.

I suppose you're right. Responding to you puts this thread at the top again. I'm a raging hypocrite. My point was, the original post could've EASILY been put in ANY of the hundreds of other threads on this topic. But, whatever.

. Sure it's news worthy at first because no one knew what happend. Now, we find out it was just a horrible accident and the story should start to go away. However, I'm sure just as another poster mentioned about Abu Gharib every lib rag will carry this story as front page news for the next 6 months to a year.

Problem is, people were saying this immediately, before we even knew anything at all. Do you really think there was not a deliberate and immediate effort to "turn" the story from the incident to the conduct of the press? On this board, people were saying "drop it, old news!" on Monday, and by Tuesday had become fully convinced that the liberal press was hounding Cheney.

JP, it's newsworthy because the VP of the US almost killed one of his friends. People are interested in death, murder, killing etc. and when it happens with celebrities (even pseudo celebrities like Scott Peterson or Robert Blake), people tend to be very interested. And as you know, in any gun/hunting safety class you are always taught not to pull the trigger until you are sure you have a shot that's clear of any person--at least that's how the classes I took (and the NRA videos I've watched) made it seem. It's not like Cheney forgot to put the cover sheets on his TPS reports--he almost killed someone! That's big news.

With Scott Peterson and Robert Blake they were accused of Murder. Are you trying to imply the VP of the United States tried to murder his freind?

I never said it wasn't news worthy. People had a right to know what happend. As I said before, we found out what happend and it was an accident. That's it! End of Story! The story should go away but it won't. The left will cont the story as long as they can trying to pin something on the VP. Anything it doesn't matter. As long as they can attach some sort of stigma to him the public can connect with.

Predicto,

That is a good post man... the only thing that I would ask you to consider is the intellectual honesty of your argument.

Honestly... if it was Al Gore and not Dick Cheney... would you still feel manipulated? This is a partisan issue dude... no spinning that, sorry.

If it were Gore, this would be Nelms' thread, not yours.

You might be right. I like to think that is not true, but you might be right.

But that sucks too, then.

With Scott Peterson and Robert Blake they were accused of Murder. Are you trying to imply the VP of the United States tried to murder his freind?

No, now you are deliberately mistaking my point. That's annoying and you are smarter than that. You know my point is that people are interested in death, murder and killing as it's related to celebrities. It had nothing, absolutely nothing to do with a vieled insinuation that Cheney tried to kill his friend. C'mon JP, seriously. :)

I never said it wasn't news worthy. People had a right to know what happend. As I said before, we found out what happend and it was an accident. That's it! End of Story! The story should go away but it won't. The left will cont the story as long as they can trying to pin something on the VP. Anything it doesn't matter. As long as they can attach some sort of stigma to him the public can connect with.

Liberal rag or not, people are interested in this story for the reasons enumerated above--that there might be an underhanded aspect that's keeping the liberal media producing stories on this may be true--but their coverage is driven more by making money which is made dependent upon the ratings of the story. When people tune out, the news will switch to something else.

It aggravates me to see this level of manipulation of the public, and it makes me scared to see how successful it is. I suspect most posters here don't even realise they have been manipulated. You are probably pissed at me for even suggesting it.

Spot on Predicto, and you have singlehandedly shown not only HOW they manipulate the public with propaganda, but exposed their dubious motives for doing so. The amazing thing to me is exactly what you said, people don't even REALIZE they are being manipulated. You see it on this board all the time, especially with a lot of the "newer" posters on here. You can hear them sprouting off the latest spin from the Republican Controlled Media and the Republican Noise Machine, then act as if you are some kind of a wacko because you don't believe in the BS.

There is no way to escape it - our political discourse is poisoned. And that makes me sad.

Ok - that's it. Please, if you respond to this, explain to me why I'm wrong. I want to be wrong.

You are not wrong, you are 100% spot on.

The right in this country has absolutely no morals, and they care only about their power, not about our country. You have any number of right wing pundits who get copious amounts of coverage everywhere, yet the liberals are few and far between. Hell, even people that are called liberals are pushing the republicans lies, look at Chris Matthews or Andrea Mitchell for good examples. They do nothing but promote one side, while making the other side to be wacked out, thus perpetuating the myth and belief in peoples eyes.

Often, i will post something like WAKE UP PEOPLE, and this is exactly what I am talking about. People ae charactures of themselves, and they are clueless that they are being used like a red headded step child with a cleft lip and a limp. They continue to rant about the lastes propaganda spewed out of the vile mouths of people like Hannity, Savage or Rush, yet completely dissasociate rational debate on the matter. They breed off of hate, and they LOVE to use the straw man just to beat on. Maybe if they would actually listen to what people are saying, and look at the situation from outside their propaganda network of information, we'd be better off. . .unfortuantely for our country that point has long passed. . .My take on it anyway.

You might be right. I like to think that is not true, but you might be right.

But that sucks too, then.

No, he is right. If Gore ran over a Yale Global Warming Lecturer with his Toyota Prius, the exact same thing would be going on. The lefties are eating it up that this happened to Cheney, and the righties are being defensive about their man. Nothing to be shocked about.

Why does this have to be a conservative or liberal issue?

Isn't the fact that the VP was a few inches away from a manslaughter charge newsworthy in its own right?

And I am from West Virginia orginally. My school district always cancelled classes during the first week of hunting season. And these kinds of things do NOT "happen all the time." And when they do, they are not easily dismissed.

If you pull a trigger and end up wounding a fellow hunter, 99.9 percent of the time you are at fault and it is always a very serious business.

Do you even know what a shotgun is?

He didn't shoot him in the face- it was mostly his shoulder, upper chest and some in the neck/cheek.

if someone is hit in the face with a shotgun that means it was at such close range the pellets are concentrated- and you won't be interviewing them later on..

If he got buckshot in the cheek, I would say characterizing it as shot in the face would be fair game.

No no no! No one is implying that! No one. Why would you even say that?

By saying that never said it wasn't news worthy. People had a right to know what happend. As I said before, we found out what happend and it was an accident. That's it! End of Story! The story should go away but it won't. The left will cont the story as long as they can trying to pin something on the VP. Anything it doesn't matter. As long as they can attach some sort of stigma to him the public can connect with.

But people were already saying that on Monday. The day after. They were already convinced that the story would never be dropped and was being manipulated by the evil leftist media before any story was even out. It suspect that it was a preemptive press-bashing strategy by Karl Rove, and it appears to have found a receptive audience in you and many others.

Spot on Predicto, and you have singlehandedly shown not only HOW they manipulate the public with propaganda, but exposed their dubious motives for doing so. The amazing thing to me is exactly what you said, people don't even REALIZE they are being manipulated. You see it on this board all the time, especially with a lot of the "newer" posters on here. You can hear them sprouting off the latest spin from the Republican Controlled Media and the Republican Noise Machine, then act as if you are some kind of a wacko because you don't believe in the BS.

You are not wrong, you are 100% spot on.

The right in this country has absolutely no morals, and they care only about their power, not about our country. You have any number of right wing pundits who get copious amounts of coverage everywhere, yet the liberals are few and far between. Hell, even people that are called liberals are pushing the republicans lies, look at Chris Matthews or Andrea Mitchell for good examples. They do nothing but promote one side, while making the other side to be wacked out, thus perpetuating the myth and belief in peoples eyes.

Often, i will post something like WAKE UP PEOPLE, and this is exactly what I am talking about. People ae charactures of themselves, and they are clueless that they are being used like a red headded step child with a cleft lip and a limp. They continue to rant about the lastes propaganda spewed out of the vile mouths of people like Hannity, Savage or Rush, yet completely dissasociate rational debate on the matter. They breed off of hate, and they LOVE to use the straw man just to beat on. Maybe if they would actually listen to what people are saying, and look at the situation from outside their propaganda network of information, we'd be better off. . .unfortuantely for our country that point has long passed. . .My take on it anyway.

Said the pot calling the kettle black. Wow I'm impressed Chom. You worked in just about every typical liberal BS catch phrase you've ever used here. You even worked in "Straw Man" for the 18 billion time...

The left in this country has absolutely no morals, and they care only about their power, not about our country. You have any number of left wing pundits who get copious amounts of coverage everywhere, yet the conservatives are few and far between. Hell, even people that are called conservatives are pushing the Democrats lies, look at Joe Scarbrough or George Will for good examples. They do nothing but promote one side, while making the other side to be wacked out, thus perpetuating the myth and belief in peoples eyes.

Often, i will post something like WAKE UP PEOPLE, and this is exactly what I am talking about. People ae charactures of themselves, and they are clueless that they are being used like a red headded step child with a cleft lip and a limp. They continue to rant about the lastes propaganda spewed out of the vile mouths of people like Al Franken or Michael Moore, yet completely dissasociate rational debate on the matter. They breed off of hate, and they LOVE to use the straw man just to beat on. Maybe if they would actually listen to what people are saying, and look at the situation from outside their propaganda network (read CNN and NYTs)of information, we'd be better off. . .unfortuantely for our country that point has long passed. . .My take on it anyway.

No no no! No one is implying that! No one. Why would you even say that?

But people were already saying that on Monday. The day after. They were already convinced that the story would never be dropped and was being manipulated by the evil leftist media before any story was even out. It suspect that it was a preemptive press-bashing strategy by Karl Rove, and it appears to have found a receptive audience in you and many others.

iheartskins compaired this with those two. ask him...

Gee after the Abu Garib marathon by the media I wonder why?

No, he is right. If Gore ran over a Yale Global Warming Lecturer with his Toyota Prius, the exact same thing would be going on. The lefties are eating it up that this happened to Cheney, and the righties are being defensive about their man. Nothing to be shocked about.

I'm not shocked by the interest, and I'm not surprised by the glee that some liberals are getting with this story. People will do that. That is not the point of the thread.

My point is that only one day after the accident happened, the "attack the liberal media for their obsession" spin was generated and began building, and it is very very effective, and I find that ver, very scary.

If Al Gore runs someone over, I think he's going to take some heat, and he should. I like to think that my outrage buttons couldn't be pushed so effectively by Al Franken and Air America, at least not the very next day.

Archived