Washington Football Team Logo
Extremeskins

Our Franchise Tag?

ChiefPowhatan17

I know that last year we did not use our franchise tag on anyone. Do you think that Gibbs doesn't want to trap anyone here who doesn't want to stay? Or do you think that Gibbs wants the players to get their maximum value for each players individual worth? They seem like they don't want to make anyone stay here without being tested on the market. Who do you think we would put it on this year if we use it?

I would say either Dock, Clark, or Royal. But I will pick Royal.:logo:

Allow me to break this down for you guys.

The "franchise tag" is a tool initiated by the league so that teams can keep there best players when they are about to become free agents. I am going to use Shawn Alexander as an example, since the Skins dont have anyone that fits the situation.

Shawn Alexander is a free agent this offseason. He is also the league MVP and one of the best RB's in the league. He is going to attract a lot of attention in the offseason. If the Seahawks really want to keep him, they can prevent him from becoming a FA by designating him their "franchise player" which essentially signs him to a 1 year deal worth the average of the top 5 players at the position.

The Skins only have, IMO, 4 players that could fit this mold and none of them are FA's this year. They are CP, ST, MW, and Santana. Those are the only guys that could possibly warrant Top 5 money at their positions.

Also, franchising someone is NOT good for your cap numbers since you cant prorate the bonuses over several years. Its a one year deal, BAM, this is your cap figure, the average of the top 5 at the position, base + prorated bonus, THIS YEAR. AND players dont like getting franchised, because they can most likely get more $ in the FA market.

The "franchise tag" is a tool initiated by the league so that teams can keep there best players when they are about to become free agents. I am going to use Shawn Alexander as an example, since the Skins dont have anyone that fits the situation.

Shawn Alexander is a free agent this offseason. He is also the league MVP and one of the best RB's in the league. He is going to attract a lot of attention in the offseason. If the Seahawks really want to keep him, they can prevent him from becoming a FA by designating him their "franchise player" which essentially signs him to a 1 year deal worth the average of the top 5 players at the position.

The Skins only have, IMO, 4 players that could fit this mold and none of them are FA's this year. They are CP, ST, MW, and Santana. Those are the only guys that could possibly warrant Top 5 money at their positions.

Also, franchising someone is NOT good for your cap numbers since you cant prorate the bonuses over several years. Its a one year deal, BAM, this is your cap figure, the average of the top 5 at the position, base + prorated bonus, THIS YEAR. AND players dont like getting franchised, because they can most likely get more $ in the FA market.

You really don't think that Robert Royal is worth Tony Gonzalez money? I mean, do backup tight ends with iffy hands grow on trees?

Actually the Hawks signed Alexander to a one-year deal last year that specifically said the Hawks could not Franchise Tag him next year.

Better example would be Reggie Wayne of the Colts.

As far as we're concerned, none of our FAs this year are near worth being Tagged. I like Dockery and Clark but they're not near the top 5 at their position.

The "franchise tag" is a tool initiated by the league so that teams can keep there best players when they are about to become free agents.

If the Seahawks really want to keep him, they can prevent him from becoming a FA by designating him their "franchise player" which essentially signs him to a 1 year deal worth the average of the top 5 players at the position.

mmmm... NO... Tagging someone does NOT prevent them from being a Free Agent. In fact, other teams can try to sign them. But, the current team has the right to match the offer. If they do not, the other team that signed him needs to send 2 First Round picks which is a hinderance!

Also, when a player is designated with the tag, the player has the option of accepting the 1 year with avg. top 5 player salary (for example, Charles Woodson for Oakland, accepting the 1 year deal - pretty much screwing Oakland and their cap # last year)...

R U Retarded Dock Is Rfa And U Think Clark Royal Or Top 5
Thank you, I realize now that we will not Franchise anyone, due to it would make them in the top 5 of the position. We don't have anyone of that calliber of our free agents.

Yes, braveheart, I think he relizes this now since he did write that response over an hour before you made that brilliant comment.

Sometimes I wonder if people even read through the whole thread before they post. :doh:

Archived