Washington Football Team Logo
Extremeskins

Is our Cap situation frustrating anyone else?

IrepDC

I am noticing in a lot of the threads here about aquiring FA's that ppl immediately point out that ''we don't have the cap space''.

This is true, we DON'T have much cap space. I just gotta say that our money management skills suck! Where is all our money going? We had what, two pro bowlers on our team this year. Our whole defense is even based on "no names" working together.

We "should" have money to sign players we need. But because of bad decisions we can't. We need to start getting stingy like the Steelers, the Eagles, and the Patriots. I get upset when I see teams that are better than us CONTINUE to get better because they have the money to get more key players.

I don't even want T.O., or Ty Law, or Randel El, or Ray Lewis, or even Reggie Wayne. I just would enjoy it if we could atleast ENTERTAIN the thought of having some of these players.

I don't know, I'm just rambling.

Our cap situation is always pretty close. I believe we have the right people in place to help us manage our situation and we're able to keep limping from year to year.

Eventually we'll have to purge most of our large long term deals and rebuild but for now our minor additions and fixes are doing great for us. The Eagles are really far under the cap and they won't use their money to sign players to improve the team.

I'd much rather have Snyder and Co. working as hard as they can to maximize our $$$'s and get us those W's.

Wow! I can't believe how many people are in denial. Dude, if only a few of our key players (the ones w/ the huge bonuses) decide to not restructure FOR THE GOOD OF THE TEAM than we're screwed. How can you quote the Eagles and/or the Steelers when they have been faaaaaar more successful on the field than our beloved skins. Thank goodness for Gibbs. Otherwise we would be like the Titans by now.

I agree w/ IrepDC. We need to scale it back over the next few years and learn how to manage our cap situation w/ obtaining a few pieces here and there while developing our young guys.

If the skins have cap trouble it is because they have spent big to get the starters that they want, now all we really need is a #2 WR and depth at some positions, the great redskin spirit JG, knows who and what he wants, and I have no doubts that it will happen. JG knows how much he has to spend and where to spend it, so dont fret we have no cap problems.

Um...what have we been doing for the last two years? Then people complain that we don't overpay to keep our "homegrown" talent. You can't have it both ways. Snyder admits he made mistakes in the past, our spending has been considerably more prudent the past two years since Gibbs & Co. have been here.

I wouldn't worry about our cap. We manage every year and if we want to get a player, I belive we will get him. Gibbs is trying to build a team of core players, not all FAs. And Snyder is paying well, not like Eagles and Cards. With good management that Gibbs and his staff provide and Snyder's $$ we will be OK.

Also, most players want to restructure because they get more guaranteed money. Only those taking paycuts refuse. I don't think we will have may of them. Maybe Hall and one-two other guys.

Also, I think they will reach a new aggrement with player association and will increase salary cap which will give us even more flexibility.

$20 million is a bigger # than last year.....but overall, I'm not too worried about the current situation.

Thanks to trades (Moss,Portis,Brunell), FA pickups (Washington, Springs, Griffin etc.) and decent drafting--not exceptional but rather decent (Rogers, Taylor, Cooley, Rock, Nemo, Arrington, Jansen, Samuels) we for the most part have most of 2006's team from the 2005 team.

Overall, we need to only address a few spots in the offseason (mostly DE, WR and possibly TE, CB and QB and depth on the O and D lines).

Also, more good news is that players like Taylor,Portis, Moss, Samuels and Brunell will probably be willing to restructure and if Arrington also (doubtful) restructures as well, we'll be very close to the #'s without even cutting anybody yet.

Snyder and the FO will find a way....they always seem to and a few smart and frugal moves (like Raubach in 05) and a decent draft will have this team be in shape to compete in 2006.

For the rest of leagues sake, especially the way Snyder shovels the money out, it is good there is a cap. But like someone else said they go through this every year and still manage to field a pretty good team. Good management brings out the best in everyone as proven this last year.

Yes it frustrates me, because (1) people continue to live in the past ("ZOMG lolz we spend too much on old g33zers WTF /cry"); and (2) people don't heed both management's analysis and independent analysis that we'll be fine if people restructure their contracts in a manner that is (a) not detrimental ot the player; and (B) better for the team. (2) will get done unless a player is mean spirited and poorly advised, and we've got the right people who are neither of those qualities.

One thing that does frustrate me is our historical lack of performance despite signing a lot of big names to big money. That we didn't have more wins in the '00 to '03 time frame, that frustrates me. Doesn't frustrate me any more since I see that we're on the right track.

According to PFT there has been significant progress on the new CBA

CBA DEAL COMING?

As the hand wringing begins regarding the absence of a new CBA, we're hearing quiet but clear indications of growing optimism that a new deal will be done in the near future.

Per a league source, the NFL and the NFLPA have reached an agreement regarding the contents of so-called "Defined Gross Revenues," which provides the basis for determining the total team-by-team salary cap.

The thrust of the negotiations at this point, we're told, is the specific percentage of the DGR that will be earmarked for player salaries.

http://www.profootballtalk.com/rumormill.htm

Archived