Washington Football Team Logo
Extremeskins

Saddamn Secret Tapes?

88Comrade2000

>>>

Feb. 15, 2006 — ABC News has obtained 12 hours of tape recordings of Saddam Hussein meeting with top aides during the 1990s, tapes apparently recorded in Baghdad's version of the Oval Office.

ABC News obtained the tapes from Bill Tierney, a former member of a United Nations inspection team who translated them for the FBI.<<<

http://abcnews.go.com/Nightline/Investigation/story?id=1623307&page=1

http://abcnews.go.com/Nightline/Investigation/story?id=1624442

http://abcnews.go.com/Nightline/Investigation/story?id=1616996

Bill Tierney was a guest for the 1st Hour of the late night radio show: CoasttoCoastAM.

Here's the shows brief bio on him:

http://www.coasttocoastam.com/guests/139.html

>>>

Feb. 15, 2006 — ABC News has obtained 12 hours of tape recordings of Saddam Hussein meeting with top aides during the 1990s, tapes apparently recorded in Baghdad's version of the Oval Office.

ABC News obtained the tapes from Bill Tierney, a former member of a United Nations inspection team who translated them for the FBI.<<<

http://abcnews.go.com/Nightline/Investigation/story?id=1623307&page=1

http://abcnews.go.com/Nightline/Investigation/story?id=1624442

Bill Tierney was a guest for the 1st Hour of the late night radio show: CoasttoCoastAM.

Here's the shows brief bio on him:

http://www.coasttocoastam.com/guests/139.html

"But they don't have them now". :doh: So, statute of limitations holds as we'll see with the discourse on this thread. At the very least, according to the UN. But then again, Iraq could give away their weapons, and then they're not culpable. Right?

http://www.msnbc.msn.com/id/11373537/

"WASHINGTON - Among the treasure trove of information captured after Saddam Hussein's fall were tape recordings of the Iraqi leader discussing weapons of mass destruction with top aides.

Transcripts of Saddam's tapes reviewed by NBC News show him ruminating about future terror attacks in the United States using weapons of mass destruction."

http://www.msnbc.msn.com/id/11373537/

"WASHINGTON - Among the treasure trove of information captured after Saddam Hussein's fall were tape recordings of the Iraqi leader discussing weapons of mass destruction with top aides.

Transcripts of Saddam's tapes reviewed by NBC News show him ruminating about future terror attacks in the United States using weapons of mass destruction."

Wow. Just, wow. I'm actually going to pay attention to this thread. My first post was just to make a random point, but I know people are going to debate this. I'm just curious what excuses are used.

Cynical part: I'm surprised the Republicans let this out before September to better their re-election. AND I havent heard anything about this but have been working a bit.

Regular: It would be nice to show that the country did have WMD and did support terrorism as that would up the street cred again.... not the some would care even then.

Just read the headline story on Yahoo.

1. It says Sadam warned the US about possible terrorist attacks (not from Iraq, but in general).

2. Says that Iraq had chem weapons and discussed hiding them, but this was before the current war.

In short, it's NOT what you guys are hoping for.

We knew that at some point Iraq had chem weapons because we gave them some. But so far, the tapes do not have anything to do with hiding WMD's right before the US invaded.

Saddam Reportedly Warned U.S. of Terrorism By GERALD NADLER, Associated Press Writer

Thu Feb 16, 2:54 AM ET

NEW YORK - Saddam Hussein told aides in the mid-1990s that he warned the United States it could be hit by a terrorist attack, ABC News reported Wednesday, citing 12 hours of tapes the network obtained of the former Iraqi dictator's talks with his Cabinet.

ADVERTISEMENT

One of Saddam's son-in-laws also explained how Iraq hid its biological weapons programs from U.N. inspectors, according to the tapes from August 1995.

The coming terrorist attack Saddam predicted could involve weapons of mass destruction.

"Terrorism is coming. I told the Americans," Saddam is heard saying, adding he "told the British as well."

"In the future, what would prevent a booby trapped car causing a nuclear explosion in Washington or a germ or a chemical one?" Saddam said.

But he insisted Iraq would never launch such an attack. "This story is coming, but not from Iraq," he said.

The State Department had no comment on the report, which aired on "World News Tonight." ABC News said U.S. officials confirmed the tapes were authentic.

ABC News said the CIA found the tapes in Iraq and that the 12 hours were provided to it by Bill Tierney, a former member of a U.N. inspection team who was translating them for the FBI. ABC News quoted Tierney as saying the U.S. government was wrong to keep the tapes secret.

Deputy Prime Minister Tariq Aziz told Saddam on the tape that "the biological (attack) is very easy to make. It's so simple that any biologist can make a bottle of germs and drop it into a water tower and kill 100,000."

"This is not done by a state. No need to accuse a state. An individual can do it," he said.

Hussein Kamel, a son-in-law of Saddam's, who was then in charge of Iraq's weapons of mass destruction efforts, explained how Iraq held back information from the U.N. inspectors.

"We did not reveal all that we have," he said. "We did not reveal the volume of chemical weapons we had produced."

Kamel said Iraq had not revealed "the type of weapons, not the volume of the materials we imported."

Hussein Kamel defected to Jordan shortly after the tapes were recorded, and Iraq was forced to admit it had concealed its biological weapons program. Kamel returned to Iraq in February 1996 and was killed by security forces.

Charles Duelfer, who led the official U.S. search for weapons of mass destruction, told ABC News the tapes show extensive deception but don't prove that weapons were still hidden in Iraq at the time of the U.S.-led war in 2003.

"What they do is support the conclusion in the report which we made in the last couple of years, that the regime had the intention of building and rebuilding weapons of mass destruction, when circumstances permitted," he said.

http://news.yahoo.com/s/ap/20060216/ap_on_re_mi_ea/saddam_tapes

Lets just see what's in the rest of the 35,000 boxes shall we.

"The tapes mostly date from early to mid 1990s and cover such topics as relations with the United Nations, efforts to rebuild industries from Gulf war damage and the pre 9/11 situation in Afghanistan."

Rep. Pete Hoekstra, R-Mich., chairman of the House Intelligence Committee, says the tapes are authentic and show that "Saddam had a fixation on weapons of mass destruction and he had a fixation on hiding what he was doing from the U.N. inspectors." Hoeckstra says there are more than 35,000 boxes of such tapes and documents that the U.S. government has not analyzed nor made public that should also be translated and studied on an urgent basis.

Charles Duelfer, who led the official U.S. search for weapons of mass destruction after the war, says the tapes show extensive deception but don't prove that weapons were still hidden in Iraq at the time of the U.S.-led war in 2003. "What they do is support the conclusion in the report, which we made in the last couple of years, that the regime had the intention of building and rebuilding weapons of mass destruction, when circumstances permitted."

So let me get this straight, Saddam said there will be a WMD attack on the USA but NOT from Iraq and some of you guys are taking this to validate all the Bush administration's lies about Iraq's "robust and active nuclear weapons program," the stockpiles of VX nerve gas, and biological weapons? ROFLMAO!

Nothing in this transcript differs from the three-year old Deulfer report. If you guys want to know the truth, read "Disarming Iraq" by Dr. Hans Blix-a guy who spent years as a UN inspector in Iraq. If you would like to be mislead some more, keep reading newsmaxx and listening to the GOP (FOX news).

I think his warning was a veiled threat..... Iraq the state won't attack you with WMDS... but who's to say we won't give said weapons to someone who could? Additionally, he outlined how easy it would be for "someone" to place a nuclear weapon in a car and detonate in Washington.

I'm with the administration on this one.... we couldn't take that chance that Hussein or his sons got crazy and decided to give WMDs to Al-Qaeda for them to use and then play the "I see no evil, speak no evil, hear no evil" game.

For those who don't think that was possible..... simply go back to your Howard Dean DNC newsletter and carry on.

Kilmer, get off it. You spent that entire thread trying to frame the debate in your favor. Those you were arguing with did the same thing The only standard set was a record on wingnuts talking past eachother.

yeah, Im just busting his chops.

Yesterday was fun though.

Of course Saddam had WMDs.

Prove he didnt. That's the new standard apparently.

Now who's asking to prove a negative? :doh:

Larry presented you in the "Perfect War" thread 4 pretty solid, conclusive pieces of evidence. You seemed to have read them because your name was listed on the lurkers and you subsequently ignored them. You aren't interested in proof.

Just read the headline story on Yahoo.

1. It says Sadam warned the US about possible terrorist attacks (not from Iraq, but in general).

2. Says that Iraq had chem weapons and discussed hiding them, but this was before the current war.

In short, it's NOT what you guys are hoping for.

We knew that at some point Iraq had chem weapons because we gave them some. But so far, the tapes do not have anything to do with hiding WMD's right before the US invaded.

Astute post Code.

Now who's asking to prove a negative? :doh:

Larry presented you in the "Perfect War" thread 4 pretty solid, conclusive pieces of evidence. You seemed to have read them because your name was listed on the lurkers and you subsequently ignored them. You aren't interested in proof.

My point exactly Burgold. You cant prove a negative. But that was the standard I was asked to adhere to yesterday.

As for these tapes? It's old news. Nothing new or grandbreaking. Code nails it.

This was the top story on Drudge yesterday.

Now, its gone all together.

Weird.

Yeah its weird. I was waiting for this to hit CNN all day. Never happened.

BTW, how many foreign leaders do you guys think have discussed in closed meetings how they would go about attacking us?

People, of course Saddam had the weapons. He has used them in the past. There was not one intelligence community in the entire world that said he didn't. And if you don't think he scrambled to bury them in the desert or smuggle them outside his borders prior to the invasion, then you simply have too much hate for the Bush administration.

I noticed this headline on Drudge yesterday as well. When I clicked on the original link, it had some VERY interesting quotes in it which basically confirmed the Administration's and every intelligence community's suspicions that Saddam had them. Quotes such as Saddam discussing where to hide them, and other incriminating evidence. What I found most interesting however, is that when I went back to it 15 minutes later, the content of the link had changed drastically from ABC's end. Drudge also took off the quotes. Weird. Not sure what the deal with that is.

Archived