Washington Football Team Logo
Extremeskins

What were your thoughts when we picked up Patten (and what are your thoughts now)?.

akorn22

Here's another dumb offseason thread just to keep us busy. We had the thread about our thoughts when we traded for Moss. Well now what were your thouights when we picked up patten. And what are your thoughts on him now.

I was excited when we picked up Patten. I thought he was a good receiver who was ready to become a #1 or 2 receiver. I knew he was fast and I knew he was coached by some great coaches up in NE. I honestly thought he'd be a better pick up then Moss. I bragged about getting Patten. Now I'm eating those words. I want Patten gone. I now think he is a waste of money. He is a #3 receiver at best and wasn;t ready to step up his game. It really pissed me off when he complained about not getting enough passes, but when he did get passes, he dropped them. Then he became a bigger waste of space by getting injured ( i know he couldn;t help getting hurt, but it sure didn;t do us any good). Patten was good in NE but we must remember, he had Tom Brady passing to him. Brady is arguably the best QB in the game right now. And remember, good QB's make all their receivers look good.

He can be a good WR but I am thinking more and more that he was a product of Charlie Weiss and Tom Brady.

I hope he can bounce back next year but I certainly don't think of him as highly as when we signed him last year. He just didn't produce for us like he was doing in New England.

Guest mwill008

i thought he played hurt, where he couldn't get separation from DB's. he can make catches better suited to be in the slot. would mind seeing us get koren robinson or david given

back then i thought it was a bad/good move.

bad b/c he's older and more clutch than every down

good: a good guy, a vet who knows how to win, he's got wheels to be the #1 if moss can't

now i think he still is a good vet who knows how to win but we didn't throw him the ball to know how useful he could be in the offense. :whoknows:

I didn't like it. I don't like any receiver that comes out of Indy or New England. You have to be very sceptical about reveivers that come out of high powered offenses like that with great QB's they have behind center cause their ability to catch the ball and run routes can be blinded by a perfect pass. Then people wonder what happens to that receiver when he comes to a team like ours with a QB that is past his prime.

I am not sold on anything about patten other then the fact that he is nothing more than a third receiver in our offense.

My thoughts were that we were asking too much from Patten. He's not nor will ever be a #2 receiver. I think Gibbs reached a bit. Hopefully he realizes this and will bring in a legit #2. Though it wont matter much till a different QB takes over.

You know sometimes this board amazes me. David Patten was a good addition to this team for many reasons. David played on one leg from after the Bears game and didnt have the speed he was acustomed to to get seperation BUT he toughed it out. David can be a good #2 or even better a great#3 for us but in either role he will do well.

How can you blame David when it is pretty odvious that our offensive ranking this year was due to sure will and determination by the players and definately not anything schematic.

Daivid isnt going anywhere and does not deserved to be cut by anymeans.

He can be a good WR but I am thinking more and more that he was a product of Charlie Weiss and Tom Brady.

I hope he can bounce back next year but I certainly don't think of him as highly as when we signed him last year. He just didn't produce for us like he was doing in New England.

He isn't good! He sucked with the Giants and Browns. New England makes everyone good. David Givens natural position was not WR. Brown was a special teamer. Branch is the most talented WR that they have. Patten is worth squat. And for him to run his mouth to the paper, is sad. Because a nobody shouldn't even be printed in the paper. Mike Jones who? That should be scratched it should be D. Pat Who?

I was bittersweet about it. I think many people here were also. He seemed like a good pickup, had 800+ yards the previous season. Yet the signing was out of the blue. I was glad we replaced Gardner with a guy who didn't supposedly have catching problems and had a better work ethic.

Now, I still feel we should keep him, he provides better depth than James Thrash does now.

After the preseason last year I predicted he would be our leading receiver. I remember telling one of my buddy's during a fantasy live draft, "Forget Santana Moss bro, David Patten will be our best receiver this season". :doh: He's still a little bitter for listening to the Redskins "expert".

When the signing was announced, I was very pleased, as I thought he provided a great replacement for Gardner. As the season started and progressed, I thought we picked up a bust, considering his stats, and was very displeased. However, when he went down with injury, Moss got more coverage rolled his way than Dick Chenney's hunting party. I began to see how valuable Patten was to our offense.

Having said that, nothing would make me happier than to get a more solid number 2 who can take even more pressure off Moss, and would allow Moss & Patten to stretch the field. If we could get a good solid tall 2nd WR, our O could be deadly with Patten in the slot. I'm not sure why there is so much talk of cutting him. He did not show up in the stat book, but Moss was much more inconsistent after Patten went down, because he didn't get to play against Will Allen every week...

When the signing was announced, I was very pleased, as I thought he provided a great replacement for Gardner. As the season started and progressed, I thought we picked up a bust, considering his stats, and was very displeased. However, when he went down with injury, Moss got more coverage rolled his way than Dick Chenney's hunting party. I began to see how valuable Patten was to our offense.

Having said that, nothing would make me happier than to get a more solid number 2 who can take even more pressure off Moss, and would allow Moss & Patten to stretch the field. If we could get a good solid tall 2nd WR, our O could be deadly with Patten in the slot. I'm not sure why there is so much talk of cutting him. He did not show up in the stat book, but Moss was much more inconsistent after Patten went down, because he didn't get to play against Will Allen every week...

Teams played Moss man to man for a while till the giants game at NY. Then they started rolling coverage. Hell Seattle even did it. Patten didn't even help S. Moss. I've heard that argument so many times and it still makes no sense. Teams figured out that S. Moss was a one man show even with Patten on the field. So some of us need to stop hyping him up! He isn't good. We need to pick up a talented young a fast wideout to play with Moss, it could be K. Robinson, Randle El, or even someone tall like JJ from Seattle. Patten wasn't any better than Taylor, or Thrash. To be honest I preferred Thrash than Patten. I was high on Taylor but he failed.

i thought he played hurt, where he couldn't get separation from DB's. he can make catches better suited to be in the slot. would mind seeing us get koren robinson or david given

Wrong. Patten consistently got separation early in the year, up through his injury. The best thing about Patten is that he runs excellent routes and has a veteran mentality when it comes to doing all things on the field

He isn't good! He sucked with the Giants and Browns. New England makes everyone good. David Givens natural position was not WR. Brown was a special teamer. Branch is the most talented WR that they have. Patten is worth squat. And for him to run his mouth to the paper, is sad. Because a nobody shouldn't even be printed in the paper. Mike Jones who? That should be scratched it should be D. Pat Who?

Wrong again. He is good, it's just that you apparently aren't very good at watching and understanding football games. A lot of people here have mentioned how Patten kept defenses honest against Moss. You know what? It's true.

Look, you all need to realize something. David Patten performed at the level of a #2 statistical receiver in the New England Patriots' offense for three out of four years; the fourth year? He was hurt, and was on pace for another great year.

You know what else you need to realize? There are a lot of similarities between the Patriots of today and the Redskins of yesteryear. It's a system designed to play to each individual's strength. And in New England, Patten's strength was stretching the field and running crisp, clean routes. There's a reason why Belichick relied heavily on Patten through the regular seasons and the playoffs. Why don't you watch a few Pats games from Patten's years and find out for yourself; actually, you're probably too busy gawking over statistics and fantasy football to understand the truth about football.

There's more to it than just numbers.

To the whole issue of Patten being a "cancer" or something because he mouthed off to the paper. That's just stupid; you're generalizing as badly as some sports editorialists who don't know the facts. The facts? Gibbs praised Patten's help as a veteran. And more importantly, Patten traveled with the team and continued to participate post-injury. If the coaching staff thought Patten was "sad" for talking to the paper, you think he would have been kept around that closely? :whoknows:

Patten was an asset to this team in 2005, and will be an asset to this team in 2006.

Teams played Moss man to man for a while till the giants game at NY. Then they started rolling coverage. Hell Seattle even did it. Patten didn't even help S. Moss. I've heard that argument so many times and it still makes no sense. Teams figured out that S. Moss was a one man show even with Patten on the field. So some of us need to stop hyping him up! He isn't good. We need to pick up a talented young a fast wideout to play with Moss, it could be K. Robinson, Randle El, or even someone tall like JJ from Seattle. Patten wasn't any better than Taylor, or Thrash. To be honest I preferred Thrash than Patten. I was high on Taylor but he failed.

That's funny that you like Thrash, but not Patten. I love Thrash too!

But wait, why do you love Thrash? Because he's a hard working guy who worked his way up from an undrafted special teams ace, to eventually being a go-to receiver and playing a larger role in the offense?

That would be ironic if you think that, because that's exactly David Patten's story. UDFA, worked his ass off to play special teams for the Giants, played his way into the offense in Cleveland, then became a go-to receiver in New England, playing a large role in the offense. Sounds familiar, doesn't it?

And do you want to compare statistics, since it appears that's what you're focused on?

Career Stats:

Thrash: 9 years, 260 catches, 3307 yards, 12.7 per catch, 18 TDs

Patten: 9 years, 258 catches, 3736 yards, 14.5 per catch, 20 TDs

Curious. Tell me, what don't you like about Patten that you like about Thrash?

Wrong. Patten consistently got separation early in the year, up through his injury. The best thing about Patten is that he runs excellent routes and has a veteran mentality when it comes to doing all things on the field

Wrong again. He is good, it's just that you apparently aren't very good at watching and understanding football games. A lot of people here have mentioned how Patten kept defenses honest against Moss. You know what? It's true.

Look, you all need to realize something. David Patten performed at the level of a #2 statistical receiver in the New England Patriots' offense for three out of four years; the fourth year? He was hurt, and was on pace for another great year.

You know what else you need to realize? There are a lot of similarities between the Patriots of today and the Redskins of yesteryear. It's a system designed to play to each individual's strength. And in New England, Patten's strength was stretching the field and running crisp, clean routes. There's a reason why Belichick relied heavily on Patten through the regular seasons and the playoffs. Why don't you watch a few Pats games from Patten's years and find out for yourself; actually, you're probably too busy gawking over statistics and fantasy football to understand the truth about football.

There's more to it than just numbers.

To the whole issue of Patten being a "cancer" or something because he mouthed off to the paper. That's just stupid; you're generalizing as badly as some sports editorialists who don't know the facts. The facts? Gibbs praised Patten's help as a veteran. And more importantly, Patten traveled with the team and continued to participate post-injury. If the coaching staff thought Patten was "sad" for talking to the paper, you think he would have been kept around that closely? :whoknows:

Patten was an asset to this team in 2005, and will be an asset to this team in 2006.

No I beg to differ he isn't good. I'm a big football fan and tend to track players careers. To me he's another Leslie Sheppard. Obviously you don't understand the game yourself. The roll coverage started during the end of the Seahawks game, then the broncos used it. KC didn't at times, and 49ers are the niners. Patten didn't help Santana. Did Patten make it easy for Santana to catch a screen pass and take it to the house, no. Patten is average and barely that. His route running isn't great, his hands are good if you compare them to 50/50. Sir please tell me when David Patten was good? With the Pats because if I'm correct he was basically the 4 best wr on the team Branch,Givens, Brown, and then Patten, hell some times Bethel Johnson looked better than him. In New York he didn't do anything. And in Cleveland I'm not even sure if he got any real playing time. You are glorifying a bum. Rod Gardner's two good years, stat wise, is better than Patten and Patten had a better QB. I'm sorry to tell you this but the guy is a bum.

No I beg to differ he isn't good. I'm a big football fan and tend to track players careers. To me he's another Leslie Sheppard. Obviously you don't understand the game yourself. The roll coverage started during the end of the Seahawks game, then the broncos used it. KC didn't at times, and 49ers are the niners. Patten didn't help Santana. Did Patten make it easy for Santana to catch a screen pass and take it to the house, no. Patten is average and barely that. His route running isn't great, his hands are good if you compare them to 50/50. Sir please tell me when David Patten was good? With the Pats because if I'm correct he was basically the 4 best wr on the team Branch,Givens, Brown, and then Patten, hell some times Bethel Johnson looked better than him. In New York he didn't do anything. And in Cleveland I'm not even sure if he got any real playing time. You are glorifying a bum. Rod Gardner's two good years, stat wise, is better than Patten and Patten had a better QB. I'm sorry to tell you this but the guy is a bum.

First, you're wrong about rolling coverage. If we have no option on the other side of the field against the Cowboys, Roy Williams isn't late on two occasions.

Second, you're wrong about running crisp routes. Patten did that, as well as provide leadership and provide leadership by example. He was one of the hardest working players on the Patriots. Just Google for Belichick quotes about Patten and you will understand.

By the way, one place where you are also wrong is that one of Patten's knocks up here in New England was his hands.

Third, you are right yet dead wrong regarding the Giants. If you actually read to what I said, you would see that Patten was an UDFA (actually, ex-Arena Football guy) who worked his way onto the Giants' special teams. When he got to Cleveland, he played himself into the offense and actually had a meaningful year with over 500 yards receiving.

Last, your dead wrong regarding the Pats. Patten was consistently the number two statistical receiver on the team. Go ahead and look at the stats, you'll see. I'll help:

Patten: http://www.pro-football-reference.com/players/PattDa00.htm

Branch: http://www.pro-football-reference.com/players/BranDe00.htm

Givens: http://www.pro-football-reference.com/players/GiveDa00.htm

Brown: http://www.pro-football-reference.com/players/BrowTr00.htm

But as we know, his value to the team transcended the stats. In fact, you can make a lot of arguments from the above statistics without taking into account Patten's other intangibles. This is something you must grasp, instead of just harping on stats. It's ludicrous to compare David Patten to Rod Gardner, they are polar opposites.

Archived