Washington Football Team Logo
Extremeskins

Serious Question : Your Honest Opinion is Requested

Mickalino

I just added a audio file to my website.

It's my singing demo of the National Anthem, which I hope will assist in a gig to sing the national anthem at sporting events.

I never taken a voice lesson in my life, so if anyone with the proper background has some points to offer, I'd love to hear it.

Regardless of your background, your honest and respectful input is appreciated.

Go to the link and scroll to the bottom of the page.

The file should play automatically, without having to hit the Play button.

Also, if you have any technical difficulties, please let me know that, as well.

Thanks.

http://www.mickellis.net/services.html

here's what I got... :(

A license is required to play this file

The file you are trying to play was ripped (copied) from an audio CD.

During the ripping process, the file was "protected." This limits the number of computers on which the file can be played.

To play the file on this computer, you must download a license (a process known as "license migration"). A license acts an electronic key that allows you to "unlock" a protected file and play it.

To download a license for this file, click Download License.

I see you're in the "biz"....was the Margaret Mitchell story shot in Wilmington? Seems like it. Can't remember.

Dang, I dont know why that message comes up - it's not copyrighted material. It was recorded onto a disc from a home studio. So the system thinks that JUST cuz I burned it from a CD to the website, that it's copyrighted material, which it's not.

But yea, we filmed the Margaret Mitchell Story in Wilmington,NC....Shannen Doherty was in it, too.

I just downloaded the license.

Really nice work. Your pitch is a lot better than 90% of the "celebrities" they get to sing the anthem, and you have a good strong voice.

I have only two constructive comments. First, your melismas are occasionally a bit sloppy--they seem a little random and not precise. Second, you pause for breath in a couple of strange places, which interrupts the momentum of the line.

All in all, though, I'd say it's very good and definitely worth a public hearing.

Sounds good - Ancalalgon made some good points - he obviously knows what he's talking about. I know you said you thought your lows were weak, but I might try it in a lower key, if possible. That high note on "red glare" and "free" (B flat? C? I don't have my pitch pipe with me :) ) sounds a little strained, but maybe you were a bit nervous.

It's a tough song to sing. Crazy intervals. Crazy range. Tough. I sang baritone and bass so it was no biggie. I think if you get a chance to do it in front of a crowd you'll get hyped, let loose, and nail it.

The reason I was asking about the Margaret Mitchell thing was I've been working in the biz since '87 in Wilmington as a driver - so you worked with friends of mine on that show.

Sounds good - Ancalalgon made some good points - he obviously knows what he's talking about. I know you said you thought your lows were weak, but I might try it in a lower key, if possible. That high note on "red glare" and "free" (B flat? C? I don't have my pitch pipe with me :) ) sounds a little strained, but maybe you were a bit nervous.

It's a tough song to sing. Crazy intervals. Crazy range. Tough. I sang baritone and bass so it was no biggie. I think if you get a chance to do it in front of a crowd you'll get hyped, let loose, and nail it.

The reason I was asking about the Margaret Mitchell thing was I've been working in the biz since '87 in Wilmington as a driver - so you worked with friends of mine on that show.

Did you know a P.A. named Sheldon Brigman ?

He's probably not in Wilmington anymore, tho

Knowing him, he's probably working in L.A. now.

Darn thing won't let me download the lincense anymore.....says it has exceeded the limit of ten downloads.

Perhaps you could post it over at myspace.com or something. I really would like to hear your voice.

Thanks.....I'm even less knowledgeable about the myspace functions, but I'll try.

Did you know a P.A. named Sheldon Brigman ?

He's probably not in Wilmington anymore, tho

Knowing him, he's probably working in L.A. now.

The name's familiar, but no. I know a Karen Brigman who's a driver, but not well enough to know if there's a connection.

I know a lot of people from it, but the main ones are John Copeman (Stunts), Bill Pitts (Transpo Coordinator), Craig Fincannon (Casting), George Whitley (Locations), and Tantar LeViseur (Props).

Hey Mick,

couldn't get past the license. here's a tip on building you diaphragm, scuba diving. How about it Ancal? All you down under guys are divers aren't you?

Scuba diving is awesome, but there are better (and cheaper) ways to build your diaphragm. Try this:

Sing a full-octave scale on the letter "r," but trill it (as though it were in Spanish). You'll find that it's impossible unless you really kick in with the diaphragm.

I checked with my Webhosters' technical support, and they told me that the reason why that message comes up when you try to play the audio file, is because it's a wma file, and it needs to be a mp3 file. So if anyone knows of a free software online, that can convert a wma file to an mp3, please let me know. When I downloaded a "free version" of the CD Ripping software, it was a scam and didnt even fully operate.

• 4 weeks later...

Hello all!!! -first time poster, lifelong skins fan.

Hey Mick. I tried to listen to the file, but couldnt even find it. Was it removed? Anyway, Id like to hear it, and I can probably help you convert it if you can get it to me. Ill send you an email so you'll have mine.

I started on a quest to perform the anthem a little over a year ago. My wife and I were at a Bowie Baysox game and someone murdered the song, with the normal additions of notes, runs and even - you guessed it - differnt keys!! As usual, I was annoyed and said, "I'm going to do the anthem here" with an empty beer cup in hand. My wife said "Yeah, right". Of course, this was another way to prove I wasn't a bum to her. I went to the Baysox and auditioned - with my electric guitar. They loved it, I made the cut, and in August of last year, I played the anthem to 4122 screaming Americans. I dont think I have to tell you what a rush that was.

Here is my recording:

http://www.spyfunkr.com/audio/anthem.mp3

So, since then, I've been trying to break into the big leagues, Orioles, Nationals and of course, the holy grail anthem gig - THE WASHINGTON REDSKINS!!! I've been trying to find more info about auditions for the anthem at a Skins game, but have been mostly unsuccessful. I exchanged emails with someone in the front office, and sent my .mp3, but it went nowhere. Does anyone have any info on this?

Thanks

Hail Skins!

-SpY

:logo:

Archived