Washington Football Team Logo
Extremeskins

Hitman's Offseason Wish List

hitmandm

Aside from Capology at this point, because we don't know what the cap is and how the restructurings will affect it, I am going to propose these moves. There have been some talk about the Skins being 10 mil under the cap with restructurings. Using this, here are some reasonable offseason moves I think The Redskins should make:

1. Trade Patrick Ramsey and a pick in 2007(later than 4th rd) for Abraham. The Jets are hurting worse than us cap wise and PR is an extremely cheap QB who will be very effective. I don't want to get rid of PR, but Gibbs promised him he would be traded or released so I think he is gone. Abraham is an impact DE and adds depth there. He will make alot of money, but we can sign him to a long term contract that makes it cap friendly in first few years. Arrington, although he is a big cap hit next year, has his cap number drop considerably in later years which can offset this acquisition.

2. Trade future picks for an impact, not mediocre, young WR. I don't care if it is our first three picks and a late rounder in 2007 for Boldin or Wayne, it would be worth it.

3. Draft the best player in round 2 of this group: CB, DL and then OL in that order of importance. In Round 3, add best player of that group also, with a focus on OL.

4. Play same game with Arrington as the Jets are with Pennington to get his cap number down.

Aside from Capology at this point, because we don't know what the cap is and how the restructurings will affect it, I am going to propose these moves. There have been some talk about the Skins being 10 mil under the cap with restructurings. Using this, here are some reasonable offseason moves I think The Redskins should make:

1. Trade Patrick Ramsey and a pick in 2007(later than 4th rd) for Abraham. The Jets are hurting worse than us cap wise and PR is an extremely cheap QB who will be very effective. I don't want to get rid of PR, but Gibbs promised him he would be traded or released so I think he is gone. Abraham is an impact DE and adds depth there. He will make alot of money, but we can sign him to a long term contract that makes it cap friendly in first few years. Arrington, although he is a big cap hit next year, has his cap number drop considerably in later years which can offset this acquisition.

2. Trade future picks for an impact, not mediocre, young WR. I don't care if it is our first three picks and a late rounder in 2007 for Boldin or Wayne, it would be worth it.

3. Draft the best player in round 2 of this group: CB, DL and then OL in that order of importance. In Round 3, add best player of that group also, with a focus on OL.

4. Play same game with Arrington as the Jets are with Pennington to get his cap number down.

-Gibbs promised Ramsey he would be traded or released?

-There's no way we get Boldin or Wayne

Nice wish list although if #'s 1 & 2 happen, #3 won't (not enough draft picks left). This also smacks a little of the pre-Gibbs Redskins. I like Abraham but giving up a QB plus a pick seems like a lot. Perhaps Ramsey or a higher round draft pick for Abraham straight up. As for #2 - I think the Skins will trade for or pick up a #2 in free agency who is currently under the radar but will surprise many (similar to bringing in Moss as a #1 WR).

Nice wish list although if #'s 1 & 2 happen, #3 won't (not enough draft picks left). This also smacks a little of the pre-Gibbs Redskins. I like Abraham but giving up a QB plus a pick seems like a lot. Perhaps Ramsey or a higher round draft pick for Abraham straight up. As for #2 - I think the Skins will trade for or pick up a #2 in free agency who is currently under the radar but will surprise many (similar to bringing in Moss as a #1 WR).

The #3 your refer to is getting a WR? ...well, I think we have enough picks if we go to 2007.

Pre-Gibbs Redskins? I grew up watching the Skins trade away first and secound rounders for proven vets and winning SBs so Im not sure what you mean. Gibbs always has traded away picks for proven players. But in making a guess I have to say this: Making a trade for a young WR isn't the same as Snyder brining in 5 big name stars every year and ruining our cap...imho.

The problem with Ramsey is that it is clear that Ramsey is damaged goods in a Redskins uniform and Gibbs doesn't want him here. That hurts his value. It has been reported in the media thta Gibbs promised Ramsey he would be traded or released after this season. Also, Abraham is a productive DE and that is highly valued. If we can get Abraham for less...great. I think this is how the market will go however.

If Gibbs and Co. think they have a WR who is undervalued because he is under the radar...then that would be ideal for sure. I think that may be hoping alot, however. I think it is more likely Wayne would be traded after a franchise tag for picks than that to happen....but I hope youre right.

Pre-Gibbs Redskins? I grew up watching the Skins trade away first and secound rounders for proven vets and winning SBs so Im not sure what you mean. Gibbs always has traded away picks for proven players. But in making a guess I have to say this: Making a trade for a young WR isn't the same as Snyder brining in 5 big name stars every year and ruining our cap...imho.

My reference to the pre-Gibbs II era was giving up too much to get a "big name" player. IMO - a draft pick plus Ramsey is giving up too much for Abraham. Either one or the other, IMO, might work.

Comparing Pennington to LaVar is silly. Pennington probably will never be able to play again. If the Jets cut him as they might have to - Pennington wouldn't be able to sgin elsewhere because he is many months away from even being able to throw the ball. LaVar could get a contract. Also given past history in renegotiations with LaVar, I doubt the Skins could win at playing chicken with him. If you cut him we take a huge cap hit (as we would trading him). Trading him probably doesn't bring a huge price because the new team would have to take on his HUGE contract.

My reference to the pre-Gibbs II era was giving up too much to get a "big name" player. IMO - a draft pick plus Ramsey is giving up too much for Abraham. Either one or the other, IMO, might work.

I feel the same way...but I think PR is more valuable than most. I hope youre right.

Comparing Pennington to LaVar is silly. Pennington probably will never be able to play again. If the Jets cut him as they might have to - Pennington wouldn't be able to sgin elsewhere because he is many months away from even being able to throw the ball. LaVar could get a contract. Also given past history in renegotiations with LaVar, I doubt the Skins could win at playing chicken with him. If you cut him we take a huge cap hit (as we would trading him). Trading him probably doesn't bring a huge price because the new team would have to take on his HUGE contract.

Why I don't think it is silly is because, while LaVar can get a contract, it would be alot lower than what he is to be paid now. I think the Redskins can somehow try and split the difference and save money and cap space. LaVar won't get anyhwere near his contract in the open market and would be happy to have something between there and where he is now...not to mention the goodwill he would generate from coaches and fans. The cap hit from Pennington and LaVar are very similar in terms of effect on the negotiations and the status of the team.

as of #1,

Would you trade a franchise player for a #2 QB? Not realistic. Though, I agreed with your #3.

At this point with the cap, I'm content on avoiding FA's, at least the big names that spell $$$. Deal Ramsey and draft wisely. We were a few plays from making the NFC C'ship game, a few plays from going 13-3, 12-4. No need to go on a shopping spree like the yr we brought in Deon. Draft wisely and build. My #1 priority would be solid communication and avoid any off season drama's like DUI's, pointing guns, skipping rookie synopsis, etc.

as of #1,

Would you trade a franchise player for a #2 QB? Not realistic. Though, I agreed with your #3.

Perhaps...but Abe wants out and is unhappy in NY, so that might drive a deal. The Jets are in worse Cap space than us, yet they need a QB, the most expensive position in football. So I see it as the Jets have a franchise player that wants alot of money that you can't afford and hates being on the team...why not trade him for a cheap young QB with alot of upside and little in terms of cap space.

But youre right, based on talent, this wouldn't go through. Factor everything else in...it has a good possibility.

My friend, are you one of those delusional Ramsey fans? Abraham is a pro bowl player and a beast (I live in NY, see him play). Why would the Jets trade him for a backup QB? We should jump on it if they're stupid enough to give us Abraham for PR and a pick. Then again they gave us Santana for soft-toe-Coles so you never know.

Archived