Washington Football Team Logo
Extremeskins

WSJ: To Keep Recruits, Boot Camp Gets a Gentle Revamp

iheartskins

I bet some of our military folks will have something to say about this...

February 15, 2006

PAGE ONE

Marching Orders

To Keep Recruits,

Boot Camp Gets

A Gentle Revamp

Army Offers More Support,

Sleep, Second Helpings;

Drill Sergeants' Worries

'It Would Look So Much Nicer'

By GREG JAFFE

February 15, 2006; Page A1

FORT LEONARD WOOD, Mo. -- New recruits used to be welcomed to boot camp here with the "shark attack." For decades, drill sergeants in wide-brim hats would swarm around the fresh-off-the-bus privates, shouting orders. Some rattled recruits would make mistakes. A few would cry.

Today, the Army is opting for a quieter approach. "I told my drill sergeants to stop the nonsense," says Col. Edward Daly, whose basic-training brigade graduates about 11,000 soldiers a year. Last fall, Col. Daly began meeting with all new recruits shortly after they arrive at boot camp to thank them. "We sincerely appreciate the fact that you swore an oath and got on a bus and did it in a time of war," he recently told an incoming class. "That's a big, big deal." He usually is accompanied by two male and two female soldiers, who can answer questions the recruits may have.

"The idea is to get rid of the anxiety and worry," Col. Daly says.

The new welcome is a window on the big changes sweeping boot camp, the Army's nine-week basic training. For most of its existence, boot camp was a place where drill sergeants would weed out the weak and turn psychologically soft civilians into hardened soldiers. But the Army, fighting through one of its biggest recruiting droughts, now is shifting tactics. Boot camp -- that iconic American experience -- may never be the same.

Once-feared drill sergeants have been ordered to yell less and mentor more. "Before, our drill sergeants' attitude was 'you better meet my standard or else.' Now it's 'I am going to do all I can to assist you in meeting the Army standard,' " says Command Sgt. Maj. William McDaniel, the senior enlisted soldier here.

New privates are getting more sleep and personal time. Even the way soldiers eat has changed. Drill sergeants long ordered overweight soldiers to stay away from soda and desserts. Today, soldiers at Fort Leonard Wood fill out a survey about their boot-camp experience that asks, among other questions, if they liked the food, whether they were "allowed to eat everything on the menu, including dessert," and whether there was enough for seconds.

Recruits still must meet the same basic standards and pass the same tests for physical fitness and marksmanship to graduate, say Army officials. But more variable criteria that in the past might get a recruit expelled -- such as whether a drill sergeant thinks a recruit has the discipline and moral values to be a soldier -- have been jettisoned. "Now it doesn't matter what the drill sergeant thinks. We work off of the written standard," says Capt. Christopher Meng, who oversees a company of 11 drill sergeants and about 200 recruits at the base.

The new approach is helping the Army graduate more of its recruits. Last month, only 23 recruits failed to make the cut at Fort Leonard Wood's largest basic-training brigade, compared with 183 in January 2004. Army-wide, about 11% of recruits currently flunk out in their first six months of training, down from 18% last May.

Full Potential

Senior Army officials say attrition has fallen because the new techniques are helping more soldiers reach their full potential. "This generation responds to a more positive leadership approach. They want to serve and they want people to show respect for that decision," says Maj. Gen. Randal Castro, the commanding general at Fort Leonard Wood. Smarter training also is preventing injuries, Army doctors say.

[Christopher Meng]

Some drill sergeants worry that the "kinder and gentler approach" -- as drill sergeants have dubbed the changes -- is producing softer soldiers. "If the privates can't handle the stress of a drill sergeant yelling at them, how will they handle the stress of bullets flying over their head?" asked Staff Sgt. Clayton Nagel as he watched his recruits file past him in the Fort Leonard Wood dining hall. "War is stressful. I think we overcorrected."

The Army's decision to overhaul basic training came last spring. The service was having a hard time bringing in new recruits. It ultimately missed its 2005 recruiting goals for active-duty troops by 7,000 soldiers, or 8%, and National Guard soldiers by 13,000 or 20%.

Meanwhile, boot-camp attrition was climbing. New soldiers brought in to replace those who were tossed out weren't much better. "We realized that the further you go into the barrel, the lower the quality," says Col. Kevin Shwedo, a senior officer in the Army's Training and Doctrine Command in Virginia.

A team of 20 officers from the Army's training command was formed to figure out how the service could help more soldiers survive the first six months. They consulted sociologists and psychiatrists and even flew in MTV's senior vice president of strategy and planning, in search of fresh ideas for motivating today's youth.

The changes, put in place this fall at all five of the Army's basic-training camps, are apparent the moment recruits step off the bus at Fort Leonard Wood. On a chilly Tuesday in January, about 200 new recruits in white Army sweat suits filed into a big auditorium on the base for one of Col. Daly's welcome-to-the-Army talks. Staff Sgt. Mike Gilmore grabbed a microphone and told the recruits what was going to happen: "The brigade commander is going to talk to you. He is a colonel. He is way up here. You are way down here," Sgt. Gilmore explained.

He then coached the recruits on how to spring to attention when Col. Daly entered the room. "When I say 'attention,' you stand up. That's it. You don't say nothing. You do it quietly as possible."

"Attention!" Sgt. Gilmore ordered. The recruits rose slowly and unevenly.

"Could we all just stand up together?" Sgt. Gilmore said, sounding more let down than angry. "It would look so much nicer."

View the rest here: Wall Street Journal

Man, I'll never forget our Shark Attack. I was scared ****less. "you have 3 seconds to get off the bus and get on those lines!"

Ahhhh, the good ol' days. Indoc was interesting, but once they brought that cattle truck up and you saw the "hats" waiting, well, that was just pure adrenaline.

Oh, and this "kinder, gentler" Army crap. Don't they realize that they're doing a disservice to those they are training?

I did my basic training at Ft. Leonard wood and yes I do remember the "shark attack". I went through in 97 and during that time I heard about other basic training fascilities (Ft. Jackson) handing out stress cards back then.

Holy CRAP! I went to Leonardwood in '97 as well. Charley Company (as if it matters). I wonder if we were there at the same time. :cool:

"Before, our drill sergeants' attitude was 'you better meet my standard or else.' Now it's 'I am going to do all I can to assist you in meeting the Army standard,' " says Command Sgt. Maj. William McDaniel, the senior enlisted soldier here.

I dunno, that sounds pretty reasonable to me.

??

I went through Leonard Wood in '89 and only a couple of people couldn't handle the stress of basic training. I don't see how catering to the two or three weakest people at the expense of the other 75 makes any sense.

It will be interesting to see how effective our kinder and gentler Army will be.

I dunno, that sounds pretty reasonable to me.

??

The whole point of "Boot Camp" is tear down your ego and reshape it with a mentality of obedience. If you can't mentally handle a bunch of people yelling and screaming in your face, how the hell are you supposed to handle bullets wizzing past your head?

And some of you may say "obedience" is not a good trait to have, but as a soldier, more often than not you NEED to listen to those in charge of you, and do so without question. Seconds can be the difference between life and death.

I noticed a stark change in the Army mentality while I was in (Thanks Bill :rolleyes: ). Subordinates questioning their senior ranking NCO's was probably the most common. It's all due to this "kindler, gentler" CRAP. Sometimes, depending on the NCO, "corrective action" was taken and was swift. Other times, depending on the CO, the subordinate was not punished accordingly, usually because the CO was one of the "kinder, gentler" bunch. The one unit I was in where we were given the most liberties was also the one that I was the most miserable in, and it was also the least effective unit I had been associated with.

The whole point of "Boot Camp" is tear down your ego and reshape it with a mentality of obedience. If you can't mentally handle a bunch of people yelling and screaming in your face, how the hell are you supposed to handle bullets wizzing past your head?

And some of you may say "obedience" is not a good trait to have, but as a soldier, more often than not you NEED to listen to those in charge of you, and do so without question. Seconds can be the difference between life and death.

I think you make some good points. I grew up in a military family, but I never served myself. So I really don't have much of an opinion on this. I DO think that we have some incredibly bright leaders in the upper echelons of our military, and I DO think they will ultimately make the right decisions. How's that for faith. :)

I think the military is at a very difficult crossroads--they need people terribly, but they aren't getting the numbers that they need through recruitment. I would imagine that the Upper Brass believe that by making the process of becoming a solider easier, it will keep more people in trainging, and may also attract others. I just don't know how valid that is of a thought process--not only does it mean that those who end up on the other side of Basic will be less hardened (most likely), but I seriously doubt that people aren't joining because they are worried about making it through basic. People don't want to join because they don't want to go to Iraq and die. However, if this is what will keep our nations military strong and will mean that there won't be a draft, then it may be a good thing...

I should say though, that in making things kinder and gentler, the people who finish the process tend not to have the same level of ownership or pride in having gone through it as those that had a much harder training (or even pledging) period.

I'm not in favor of going soft if it affects our prowess as a world military power.

The military has been going "soft" as long as it has been around. Every class is easier than the one that came before it...just ask someone in the class before you went.

Should it become summer camp? Absolutely not. But how about challenging these recruits with tough tasks and tough standards? Assume that people joining, especially these days, are self centered pricks looking for some college money. If you can't get a recruits attention these days through real leadership techniques, then you probably don't belong in a leadership position.

Trust me, I have spent over 24 months drawing hostile fire pay with Soldiers that have passed through Basic and AIT in the "kinder and gentler" era...and the military is just fine.

I think the military is at a very difficult crossroads--they need people terribly, but they aren't getting the numbers that they need through recruitment. I would imagine that the Upper Brass believe that by making the process of becoming a solider easier, it will keep more people in trainging, and may also attract others. I just don't know how valid that is of a thought process--not only does it mean that those who end up on the other side of Basic will be less hardened (most likely), but I seriously doubt that people aren't joining because they are worried about making it through basic. People don't want to join because they don't want to go to Iraq and die. However, if this is what will keep our nations military strong and will mean that there won't be a draft, then it may be a good thing...

I should say though, that in making things kinder and gentler, the people who finish the process tend not to have the same level of ownership or pride in having gone through it as those that had a much harder training (or even pledging) period.

I'm not in favor of going soft if it affects our prowess as a world military power.

I went though basic in 90'. In my opinion, you are not going to

change anybody in a few weeks. It's a game and everybody knows it.

They put in their time and try to keep their nose clean. Anybody

who has served in the last 15 - 20 years can tell you that those

trainees revert back to form (as much as thier current NCO's will

allow) as soon as they are out of that training environment. You

are not going to break anybody down and rebuild them in basic.

Has not been that way for a decade or two. This has been an

on going process with the transition from the draft force to an

all volunteer force. Basically, teach them what to do and see

if they can handle it. The military give you enough room to

excel or hang yourself. It all sorts itself out in the end.

I went though basic in 90'. In my opinion, you are not going to

change anybody in a few weeks. It's a game and everybody knows it.

They put in their time and try to keep their nose clean. Anybody

who has served in the last 15 - 20 years can tell you that those

trainees revert back to form (as much as thier current NCO's will

allow) as soon as they are out of that training environment. You

are not going to break anybody down and rebuild them in basic.

Has not been that way for a decade or two. This has been an

on going process with the transition from the draft force to an

all volunteer force. Basically, teach them what to do and see

if they can handle it. The military give you enough room to

excel or hang yourself. It all sorts itself out in the end.

Good post, thats what I've been hearing...

And Herr, lay off the new recruits. These kids are fighting a war on my behalf, I am not goin to knock them because they did not form a line in 3 seconds. I trust them more than I would myself. As for the soft "Bill" military, well, it was not under him that the army officially changed policy...

I did my basic training at Ft. Leonard wood and yes I do remember the "shark attack". I went through in 97 and during that time I heard about other basic training fascilities (Ft. Jackson) handing out stress cards back then.

I can tell you that in 1997 there were no stress cards being handed out at Jackson. But we were hearing the rumors of that going on at Lost in the woods. :silly:

And Herr, lay off the new recruits. These kids are fighting a war on my behalf, I am not goin to knock them because they did not form a line in 3 seconds. I trust them more than I would myself. As for the soft "Bill" military, well, it was not under him that the army officially changed policy...

These kids may be fighting a war in your behalf, but there is no room in the Army for an undisciplined private that wants to deal drugs and be a pimp. I am resposible for kicking out a few of those privates myself, and I can tell you that there is no place for that kind of stuff in the Army. It is getting so bad that being an instructor used to be a Koosh job, now you have guys that want out of Tradoc because of that very thing. You are not allowed to discipline a student when they disrespect you. I have guys tell me very day that I was smart by turining down the Instructor position and getting out of the Army. I do believe that I would have had a coronary by now if I would have stayed in.

If you don't think that discipline and stress are good things for the Army, try going to War and being in charge of 30 or 40 soldiers, and you give a command which is the difference b/t life and death, and you have some punk private questioning you. :cuss:

I can tell you that in 1997 there were no stress cards being handed out at Jackson. But we were hearing the rumors of that going on at Lost in the woods. :silly:

These kids may be fighting a war in your behalf, but there is no room in the Army for an undisciplined private that wants to deal drugs and be a pimp. I am resposible for kicking out a few of those privates myself, and I can tell you that there is no place for that kind of stuff in the Army. It is getting so bad that being an instructor used to be a Koosh job, now you have guys that want out of Tradoc because of that very thing. You are not allowed to discipline a student when they disrespect you. I have guys tell me very day that I was smart by turining down the Instructor position and getting out of the Army. I do believe that I would have had a coronary by now if I would have stayed in.

If you don't think that discipline and stress are good things for the Army, try going to War and being in charge of 30 or 40 soldiers, and you give a command which is the difference b/t life and death, and you have some punk private questioning you. :cuss:

On the other hand, I do not think that this basic training program breeds insubordination, lack of discipline, or inability to deal with stress. If you honestly believe thats what happens, then I am against this change if you can prove it. I do not think punk privates instantly sprung up since they changed the program; they have been a mainstay of the US army, or at least thats what the movies say :).

I have helped a few on their way out of the Army Reservesmyself. I remember one guy who showed up for his first drill after basic with an earing in, his short unbuttoned, and asked our First Sergeant "Why" when told to clean himself up. Top wanted to kill him and the drill sergeant that graduated him.

Leadership is the key gentlemen. Soldiers may follow you in battle because they fear you...or because they respect you. I find you get results both ways, better results with the latter approach

I was forced to memorize the following quote during my time on active duty. It is known as Schofields Definition of Discipline. I made all my NCOs learn it as well.

The discipline which makes the solders of a free country reliable in battle is not to be gained by harsh or tyrannical treatment. On the contrary, such treatment is far more likely to destroy than to make an army. It is possible to impart instruction and to give commands in such a manner and such a tone of voice to inspire in the soldier no feeling but an intense desire to obey, while the opposite manner and tone of voice cannot fail to excite strong resentment and a desire to disobey. The one mode or the other dealing with subordinates springs from the corresponding spirit in the breast of the commander. He who feels and hence manifests disrespect toward others, especially his inferiors, cannot fail to inspire hatred against himself.

As long as we are giving the trainee's tough standards to meet, I have no problem making our DI's work hard to get them there.

"Alright you *******s. Get the **** off the bus! Let's go! Right the **** now airmen!"

Paraphrazed somewhat but I assure you, after nearly 23 years, that's pretty damn close to what I heard coming off the bus at Lackland. The next voice I heard was that of the other TI, ( who was a former Marine and from New York).

" Alright youse guys! Get up heah in line! Right now! "C'mon Son! Let's move it!"

I call those attention getters. And they work. Oh sure. We were all reasonably smart folks. We knew what was coming. We knew why the training was done that way. Still worked. In my opinion, the breaking down part comes there. In Basic. Anyone who's been through it,( no matter what branch), knows it works. By the end of it, you and your teamates were, to one degree or another, just that. You functioned as a team. That's what basic also did. After breaking down the individuality, it started the process of forging the "team" attitude". If that didn't happen, then the training was done wrong. The hard part, the next chapter of integration of the new service member into the military came after that imho. That's where what Col. Edward Daly said makes more sense to me.

After you've started the process.

I grew up Army. Was raised by an officer and babysitted by others and NCO's. I myself, for a short time, was an NCO. Many of the management and leadership skills I learned I utilize now. And some of that teaching, started May 15, 1983.

On the other hand, I do not think that this basic training program breeds insubordination, lack of discipline, or inability to deal with stress. If you honestly believe thats what happens, then I am against this change if you can prove it. I do not think punk privates instantly sprung up since they changed the program; they have been a mainstay of the US army, or at least thats what the movies say :).

Yes, Punk Privates have been around since the services were founded. However, when you take away the fear from the soldiers then they become (nothing against them) but college students. (Again nothing against college students). Like PCS said, the big part of Basic is teaching the new recruit to be part of a team, to get rid of the individuality. Also to teach the chain of command. I believe instilling fear is a big part of changing the recruit into a soldier. We all knew that our DS were human, but we feared the punishment that they would bring to us if we didn't comply. As time went by and we molded the team, the DS let up (a little ) and it went alot smoother.

Like I stated earlier, with the lax rules, and the DS and instructors not being able to "scare" the privates, there are alot of soldiers that want to be pimps and also deal drugs making it through Basic and AIT. There is simply no place in the Army for soldiers to be walking around like they are still on the street.

Agreed. That fear for me was a good motivator. That fear had a name. Recycle. It had several forms. One of them was quite literal. In Air Force Basic, it was form 341. Had 2 of them in our right front pocket. Folded so that they could be pulled from the pocket by those that felt the airman had done something wrong, ( failure to salute, uniform violation, ect..), or something right. Usually, it was something wrong. Once pulled, the 341 would have your name, flight number, ect..written on it as well as violation. It would be forwarded to your TI and then put in a record, ( afer your ass got handed to you by said TI). Get enough of those pulled, and your ass was recycled. Or worse. No thankyou. Very good reason to behave, follow the rules, pay attention, and stay below the treeline. Part of the breaking down method was the discipline and punishment built into basic training. And it was effective as well. All the time? No. That comes down to more than just the training imho. Some people just can't do it.

I was borderline for my first year. Had 2 LOC's and LOR thrown in my record. Halfway through my last year, I received my good conduct. One reason for that was because I let the rest of the training take effect. Just mho.

Archived