Washington Football Team Logo
Extremeskins

The Cult of Celebrity

AlexRS

What are your feelings on it?

Celebrities are just people, right? They are just like everybody else, right?

What is this obsession with famous people? Why are they viewed as demigods by many? Is this strictly an American phenomenon or is it inherent in human nature? Is this a result of Marketing? Natural social forces?

How would you feel if you met the famous person you admire?

Have you ever known a "celebrity" of any sorts on a personal level (i.e. not coming from the horde of followers/admireres but knowing them before they got famous or from another angle). If so, what are your impressions?

Thank you.

My SO and I just got back from skiing in Park City Utah. We own a real nice condo there, which we have in the rental pool when we're not utilizing it ourselves.

When we checked in this year.... the girls behind the desk were very happy to alert us that Edge, from U2, had stayed in our unit a week prior during the Sundance Film Festival. The year before... Ben Afleck. They were acting silly over these people.

My question was.... has the unit been throroughly cleaned? Especially the linens? :laugh: They're are, afterall, still people.... like us. :doh:

Dana Carvey had a pretty funny bit about this. I think he called it the 'potato effect'.

Point was, you could take something as silly and as arbitrary as a potato, put it on TV... and then when people passed this potato or saw it, they would whisper to each other "THAT'S the potato that was on TV!!!"

I dunno what it is, but we're all guilty of it.

I have never really gone for the whole cult of celebrity. I'm not a guy that ever tried to get to the front of a concert so that I could stick my hand up and hopefully have a famous person shake my hand. I have no interest in such things. Radio contests to meet a celebrity have always seemed stupid to me, as I couldn't imagine a dumber situation that have a celebrity forced to sit down with me for a promotional event.

I just don't get it.

I do however admire celebrities successful business leaders and athletes for their accomplishments. I admire their success because despite what people say it isn't easy to "make it" no matter what you look like or how high you jump. There is a level of dedication, skill, and tons of work involved in order to seperate yourself from the pack in any field. Yes there are some exceptions to the rule but for the most part making a name for yourself requires a great deal of work.

It's a sad world we live in when people are considered to be special for being famous rather than famous for being special.

Yeah it's upside-down, isn't it?

The funniest thing, placed right side up the Cult of Celebrity disappears into thin air. Think about it, if you appreciate a good actor because he is a good actor - would you jump up and down: "oh my god-oh my god-oh my god?" No, you would respectfully say "I really enjoy and appreciate your work."

It looks like this Cult of Celebrity is closely tied with masses of people lacking self esteem and self respect.

pretty much how I feel also.I just look at these guys on tv and shake my head.These people are not special.What have they done for me?Die on a cross?I think not.

They do not deserve you shaking your head at them just like they do no deserve you building shrines to them.

Its not the money, plenty of rich kids grow up with parents that are lawyers or something and make huge money, but still worship Madonna or Lebron James.

Celebrities live out people's fantasies. Which is why most celebs are such wierdos, they have to be that image 18hrs a day. Gets to some of their heads.

Its not the money, plenty of rich kids grow up with parents that are lawyers or something and make huge money, but still worship Madonna or Lebron James.

Celebrities live out people's fantasies. Which is why most celebs are such wierdos, they have to be that image 18hrs a day. Gets to some of their heads.

Yeah, doesn't sound like money is it.

It seems we create celebrities in our heads to prove something to ourselves. Namely that there is a possibility of successfully completing the neverending climb of the social ladder.

We can have it all. We can be loved by everybody around us. Women can want us and men can fear us. We can on top of the world. But when we are on top of the world we realize that we are not. We think this is the case because we need MORE.

Perhaps celebrities symbolize this for us. Perhaps they embody what is not possible - being happy as a result of something external.

Celebrity lifestyle is like a carrot dangled in front of our noses... we are so distracted by trying to get that carrot we forget why we wanted it in the first place.

What is this obsession with famous people? Why are they viewed as demigods by many? Is this strictly an American phenomenon or is it inherent in human nature? Is this a result of Marketing? Natural social forces?

I think it is human nature. It is just part of our make up to view certain people in different ways.

If you think about it, at one point or another there was a person in everyone's life that stirred emotions or made you somewhat star struck. No one can deny that. And if it has never happened to you then that one person hasn't come along.

If any Redskin Fan happend to walk into an elevator and Joe Gibbs or Jon Jansen was right there, we would all freak. Some more than others, and all of us in different ways, but trust me we would all freak.

I think it is human nature. It is just part of our make up to view certain people in different ways.

If you think about it, at one point or another there was a person in everyone's life that stirred emotions or made you somewhat star struck. No one can deny that. And if it has never happened to you then that one person hasn't come along.

If any Redskin Fan happend to walk into an elevator and Joe Gibbs or Jon Jansen was right there, we would all freak. Some more than others, and all of us in different ways, but trust me we would all freak.

There is no doubt that this is human nature. Everything that comes from humans is a result of human nature.

This is merely one of the ways human nature manifests itself.

Being natural does not necessary mean being in that particular form. Some might want to shake Gibbs' hand while others might get an urge to fall on their knees.

Im not much for fawning over celebs. Especially actors and musicians. [begin rant] These people just piss me off. Hey Tom Cruise. You are an actor, so act and shut the **** up. I dont understand why these people feel the need to get political and involved in issues that they dont understand. Honestly, you are an actor, in other words, you are a professional liar. You have a high school education and you make 1000 times more than the average citizen. But you are going to tell everyone who will listen what Alan Greenspan (or Ben Bernanke now) SHOULD be doing? **** you. Those guys have PhD's in economics and have access to the latest data produced. You got a D in pre-algebra. Take your blog railing against the war in iraq, and shove it up your ass. You live perenially with a silver spoon in your mouth, please dont try to speak for the boys overseas, because you have no idea what a war is. [/rant]

Archived