Washington Football Team Logo
Extremeskins

It's going to be a very long offseason in here, but that's ok.

GSF

A couple of reasons why. First, the Redskins aren't going to be making any glamorous moves in free agency, b/c the roster is pretty much in tact. They will pick up a solid, vet wr, and they'll add some depth on the lines. That's going to be about it other than maybe a kicker and punter. There won't be any big star signings, like a Wayne, Clements, Reed, ect. like a lot of folks in here are waiting for.

Secondly, Gibbs and company are going to be ultra secretive about their plans, so we just won't be getting much info from the press. As we know, this often leads to certain members of the press creating stories where there are none. Some of these "stories" are going to lead to full out panic in here.

Here's the thing, Joe Gibbs knows exactly what he is doing, and he has assembled what has to be considered one of the top, if not the top staff in the league. Sure the team has some question marks. Will Sean Taylor be going to Lord and Taylors to buy a case of soap on a rope? Will Brunell be able to stay healthy? Will Campbell be the player we're all hoping for? These are legitimate questions.

The thing to remember though when debating these issues is that all teams have question marks. There is a very realistic chance that the Skins could slip next year due to injuries, or other problems, but that's ok. You know why? Because Joe Gibbs is building a team that is going to be competitive for many years to come. It is only a matter of time before the Redskin add another Lombardy to the trophy case at Redskins Park, and that will be a sweet day indeed.

I think the reason why Skins fans are so panicy in the offseason, and I don't blame them, is b/c this team spent several season under Snyder mortgaging the future in a desperate attempt to win it all. For the last 6 or 7 seasons, there was always a sense that, "we better do it this year b/c next year we're screwed". The press told us this repeatedly, and any of us who followed the team could easily see that we had a bunch of old, prima donna players that were more focused on getting paid, and setting personal records than putting in the effort required to be a champion.

Going back even further, we suffered through a half a decade of a coach who's favorite saying was, "we played awful hard out there today" :doh: Norv is a good x and o guy at times, but he has a spine more pliable than a wet noodle. Zero leadership qualities there, as we've seen over and over again. There's that word, "leadership", which is Joe Gibbs specialty.

So my Redskins bretheren, when we hit some bumps in the road, which we certainly will, there is no need to jump off the "here we go again" cliff half ****ed. The reason is that Joe Gibbs is a true champion, and he's assembled a staff and roster that will run through walls for him. Success my friends, is inevitable.

I know we have some pessimists in here, which I have no problem with. It makes the debate that much more interesting, but always remember ladies and gents to always maintain a certain level of respect when ranting. Every member of our staff, roster, and even front office has earned that from us fans.

Try to remember that the best part of the voyage is the trip itself, not arriving at the destination. If you spend the whole trip complaining about the hardships along the way, you won't be able to truly appreciate it when the trip is done. There's no problem with dicussing the various problems along the way, but if you take that discussion to the level of disrespect, or just plain insanity, you are going to feel very foolish and a little empty when Gibbs is hoisting another Lombardy, that much I can promise you. Remember, when you publicize your opinions on here, you are representing the Burgandy and Gold to the now thousands of people that log on here every day.

Stepping down from the soapbox now...Carry on, and keep in mind that this down time we're about to experience is the calm before the storm.

HTTR!! :cheers:

Good stuff GSF. :)

Helped for a minute with the boredom, too, didn't it? :laugh:

Sure did. Being one of the biggest homers in here for years now, I kinda feel it's my duty to make these kinds of posts every once in a while. Thanks for your reply.

Anybody that is missing watching the games too much needs to invest in an Xbox and the latest copy of Madden they can afford. I have 06 for the Xbox and the new 360. If you want to play, get a 360. But, if you want to set the quarters to 15 minutes and watch the game like it's being aired on TV, get the regular xbox. I catch at least two Skins games a week ;)

I agree and disagree. I agree that we wont pick up any superstars, and that we dont NEED any superstars. However, if in fact we do pick up a good #2 reciever and some depth on O-Line, to me, I would consider that a "glamorous" offseason. Glamorous because IMO thats all we need to become a legit contender for the whole ball of wax in '06.

I agree and disagree. I agree that we wont pick up any superstars, and that we dont NEED any superstars. However, if in fact we do pick up a good #2 reciever and some depth on O-Line, to me, I would consider that a "glamorous" offseason. Glamorous because IMO thats all we need to become a legit contender for the whole ball of wax in '06.

Good point. I agree that this team is getting very close to having a complete roster, with the only big question mark at QB, and I'm confident that Gibbs will be right about Campbell. What I'm refering to though is that this will be the first year in many that the Redskins won't be the "offseason champions".

We won't be adding only probowl type players, and we aren't even drafting in the first round. It's going to be very quiet in Redskinsland for a while.

Excellent post, GSF. I think you're right, the biggest thing about Joe Gibbs is the respect he has/gets for/from the people around him. There's just something about that guy that makes me not worry where we're headed at all. You just know he'll get it right. That's why I thought it was so ridiculous when everybody wanted to say he would be gone if he didn't win the SB in the first 2 years. To me, no matter what happened, I always believed he would put in at least the 5 years he signed on for. People underestimate him so badly, do they think he just suddenly forgot how to be a winner? I think his unassuming demeanor causes some to overlook him.

Also, I wouldn't rule out the idea that Gibbs felt like his first tour of duty didn't end right. He retired abruptly with no plan or successor in place to account for that and I believe that as much as anything else, he's determined not to let that happen again and to make sure this franchise is in the right hands when he retires for good. To me, I see us as set up to be contenders for at least the next decade and I'm loving it. That's why I've been much less antsy in the offseasons since he's come back. I'm mean, honestly, does anybody really think Joe's not going to win another trophy?

Some of these "stories" are going to lead to full out panic in here.

You mean like Peter "I make this stuff up as I go along" King? Yup.

Will Sean Taylor be going to Lord and Taylors to buy a case of soap on a rope? Will Brunell be able to stay healthy? Will Campbell be the player we're all hoping for?

1) Taylor is going to get off without any jail time. Unless they are caught dead to rights (Jamal Lewis), pro athletes skate. Not saying it's right but that's how it is. And if he does have to go, something tells me ST will not be anybody's b!tch in prison!

2) Brunell could lead us to the Super Bowl...if the season was only 12 games long. When we lost Randy Thomas, we lost a lot of what made us successful on offense, and the load was placed on a worn out Brunell. Unless we have a season like '91 where nobody gets hurt and the O-line just completely dominates, there's no reason to think Brunell can perform at a high level for an entire season.

3) I just don't know what Jason Campbell is. He's looked good in practice but then so has Taylor Jacobs. If he's Ben Rothlesberger then we're two years away, or maybe he can spell Brunell and perform well over a short stretch. If he's Akili Smith then we're in trouble.

Good post, and I for one am not going to panic. I can't wait to see what our offense looks like with Saunders calling the shots. Remember, we scored 52 points once and 35 points three times last year...things are only going to get better, regardless of what happens in the off-season.

Nice post couldn't agree more. It will interesting to see how the year unfolds leading up to September. I'll never pretend to understand why or how the coaching staff makes their decisions, just know that they aint getting paid that kinda money for being stupid.

You mean like Peter "I make this stuff up as I go along" King? Yup.

1) Taylor is going to get off without any jail time. Unless they are caught dead to rights (Jamal Lewis), pro athletes skate. Not saying it's right but that's how it is. And if he does have to go, something tells me ST will not be anybody's b!tch in prison!

2) Brunell could lead us to the Super Bowl...if the season was only 12 games long. When we lost Randy Thomas, we lost a lot of what made us successful on offense, and the load was placed on a worn out Brunell. Unless we have a season like '91 where nobody gets hurt and the O-line just completely dominates, there's no reason to think Brunell can perform at a high level for an entire season.

3) I just don't know what Jason Campbell is. He's looked good in practice but then so has Taylor Jacobs. If he's Ben Rothlesberger then we're two years away, or maybe he can spell Brunell and perform well over a short stretch. If he's Akili Smith then we're in trouble.

Good post, and I for one am not going to panic. I can't wait to see what our offense looks like with Saunders calling the shots. Remember, we scored 52 points once and 35 points three times last year...things are only going to get better, regardless of what happens in the off-season.

I never saw Jacobs overachieve in practice. I heard people say good things about him, heck even read somewhere that players on the team were talking him up, but thats all it was, talk... and Ill bet that players did it to give the boy confidence. Campbell will be solid, what r4easons do you have to doubt that? When has he had such a bad performance that we shouldnt have faith in his skills? Do you think Gibbs didnt know what he was doing when drafting Campbell? Is it fear of the unknown? Relax, this kid is going to be awesome. You're in for a treat. :)

we've jump into "we need another great WR to go along Moss" We need to wait and see what Patten will do or "can" do. We need more quality depth but not a all-star WR.

We need a Pass cacthing T.E. that can go down field ex. Heath Miller...Dallas Clark etc.. On the D side of things I believe we need a good D.E. but besides that we are fine.

Archived