Washington Football Team Logo
Extremeskins

CNN.COM: Cheney gets warning from Parks and Wildlife Department

heyholetsgogrant

White House defends handling of Cheney shooting

Cheney gets warning from Parks and Wildlife Department

Monday, February 13, 2006; Posted: 8:46 p.m. EST (01:46 GMT)

(CNN) -- The White House is defending its delay in disclosing Vice President Dick Cheney's weekend hunting accident, telling reporters Monday the focus was on making sure the man Cheney shot got medical attention.

Cheney was hunting quail at a friend's South Texas ranch when he shot and wounded Harry Whittington, a 78-year-old attorney from Austin and Bush-Cheney campaign contributor, about 5:30 p.m. Saturday.

Whittington, who was hit with birdshot in the face, neck and upper torso, was being moved out of intensive care Monday at a hospital in Corpus Christi, officials at the facility said.

Sheriff's deputies in Kenedy County, near Corpus Christi, questioned Whittington on Monday. They had questioned Cheney on Sunday.

While the state Parks and Wildlife Department issued Cheney a warning for not possessing a required stamp on his hunting license, the sheriff's department said there was "no alcohol or misconduct involved in the incident."

"This department is fully satisfied that this was no more than a hunting accident," the Kenedy County Sheriff's Department announced in a statement issued Monday evening.

President Bush was told Saturday night that Cheney had been involved in a hunting accident, White House spokesman Scott McClellan said. But Cheney's office did not acknowledge the shooting to the public until Sunday afternoon, after the family that owns the ranch told a Corpus Christi newspaper about it.

"It's important, always, to work to make sure you get information out like this as quickly as possible," McClellan said. "But it's also important to make sure that the first priority is focused where it should be, and that is making sure that Mr. Whittington has the care that he needs."

McClellan said Cheney agreed that his friend Katharine Armstrong, who saw the incident, should be the one to tell the newspaper. CNN and other news organizations confirmed the report with the vice president's office shortly after 3:30 p.m. Sunday.

Cheney, an avid hunter, was shooting at a covey of quail at the Armstrong Ranch near Kingsville, southwest of Corpus Christi, when the accident occurred. Kenedy County Sheriff Ray Salinas said his deputies are conducting an investigation into the shooting but consider it an accident. (Full story)

Armstrong said no one discussed telling the public until Sunday morning, when she and her mother, ranch owner Anne Armstrong, raised the matter with Cheney. Saturday night, she said, "The only concern we all had was about Harry."

Asked whether it was appropriate "for a private citizen to be the person to disseminate the information that the vice president of the United States has shot someone," McClellan said, "That's one way to provide information to the public.

"The vice president spoke with her directly and agreed that she should make it public and that they would provide additional information," he said.

McClellan said he was not aware that Cheney had shot someone until about 6 a.m. Sunday.

Cheney returned to Washington on Monday. Asked whether the vice president would answer questions about the matter, McClellan referred reporters to Cheney's office.

Wounds 'superficial at best'

Whittington, a prominent Texas Republican, was among a handful of people accompanying the vice president when the accident occurred Saturday afternoon. Cheney visited him Sunday "and was pleased to see he is doing fine and in good spirits," spokeswoman Lea Anne McBride said.

Peter Banko, a spokesman for Christus Spohn Hospital in Corpus Christi, said Monday that Whittington was making good progress but was likely to remain hospitalized for another few days.

"He is talking, awake, alert and in good humor," he said.

Dr. David Blanchard, the emergency room chief at Christus Spohn, said Whittington was hit by "many, many" pellets. But he said most of the wounds were "superficial at best," and many of the pellets would be left inside Whittington's body.

Armstrong said Whittington was about 30 yards from Cheney when the vice president fired. She said Whittington had just shot a quail and dropped back to retrieve it. He was hit upon rejoining the group and "apparently came up unannounced" as Cheney prepared to fire.

Cheney and his wife, Lynne, are longtime friends of the Armstrong family and have often visited their 50,000-acre ranch. When Katharine Armstrong's father, longtime Kenedy County commissioner Tobin Armstrong, died in October, Cheney delivered a eulogy at the funeral, along with former Secretary of State James Baker.

Armstrong is the daughter of ranch owner Anne Armstrong, who served as U.S. ambassador to Britain in the Ford administration. She has also served on the board of directors of Halliburton, the oilfield services company Cheney ran before becoming vice president. Cheney was hired as the company's chief operating officer in 1995.

Prominent GOP activist

Whittington, a prominent Texas Republican, has been active in state politics since the 1960s and served as chairman of the state Board of Corrections from 1979 to 1985. In 1999, then-Governor Bush named him to the state Funeral Services Commission, which had been stung by allegations of widespread corruption and mismanagement in the industry. (Whittington profile)

He contributed $1,000 to Bush's 2000 presidential campaign and $2,000 to his 2004 re-election bid.

Katharine Armstrong said Cheney has gone hunting there for at least 15 years, and she called him "a very conscientious hunter."

"I would shoot with Dick Cheney everywhere, anywhere, and not think twice about it," she said Sunday night. But she said, "The nature of quail shooting ensures that this will happen. It goes with the turf."

CNN's Dana Bash contributed to this report.

http://www.cnn.com/2006/POLITICS/02/13/cheney/index.html

---------------------------------------------------------------------

No, because blowjob and impeachment jokes are always funny. Cheney had a minor hunting mishap. Big whoopie do.
He shot the guy in the face. No thanks to Big Dick it appears to be pretty minor injuries, but the guy could have been blinded with some bad luck. Of course it was an accident, but you can bet Chicken Hawk Cheney the Mad Hunter jokes will be around for quite a while.

It just amazes how the rich conduct business. All friends with connections making sure they all stay rich. Hey, let's give them some more tax breaks.

I just love this way of thinking.... make sure to spout this stuff to as many people as you can.

I'm going to assume, and I realize this a big risk, that you are aware that the top 50% of income earners in this country PAY 96% of the taxes. That means almost half the people that earn a living in this country..... DON'T PAY TAXES!!!!!!!

Additionally, the top 1% of income earners in this country PAY 34% of the taxes in this country. 1%.... 1 out of every 100 persons pays not only his taxes.....his share..... but also 33 other people's taxes as well.

I say this.... make EVERYONE pay taxes... THEIR SHARE.... in the hopes that they realize the intent of our founding fathers.... that all men are created equal..... and that one man wasn't placed on this earth to pay his share... along with the shares of handful of others.... because he's "fortunate" or "blessed" or "lucky" or "came from a good family" or "inherited". Many work hard and simply earn a living... and shouldn't be penalized for being successful by being forced to pay MORE than their share.

As for FJ.... get in the game... pay your way... or STFU!

I'm going to assume, and I realize this a big risk, that you are aware that the top 50% of income earners in this country PAY 96% of the taxes. That means almost half the people that earn a living in this country..... DON'T PAY TAXES!!!!!!!

Utterly false, and disproven so many times on this board that it really has gotten old. Sales taxes, social security, medicare and so forth all get paid, even by the very bottom of the income bracket, and for them, it is a much higher percentage of their income than it is for the more wealthy.

Additionally, the top 1% of income earners in this country PAY 34% of the taxes in this country. 1%.... 1 out of every 100 persons pays not only his taxes.....his share..... but also 33 other people's taxes as well.

Hmm, the top 1 percent of income earners in this country pay more than 33 percent of the taxes. What a surprise. They also own more than 33 percent of the assets and have more than 33 percent of the income - a lot more of each.

I guess you advocate a poll tax then? You and Bill Gates pay the same in taxes each year? Whatever floats your boat.

Getting back on track here, I believe as well that this is something being made bigger into what it is. Not to sound harsh, but the guy is still alive. This was a hunting accident, not an intended murder.

But, a rich white conservative powerful male gets caught mishandling a gun and people want to make a huge deal out of it. And for the record, no, I wouldn't care if this were Bill Clinton or Al Gore...I don't care what these people do on their own time as long as its not ****ing up the country.

Getting back on track here, I believe as well that this is something being made bigger into what it is. Not to sound harsh, but the guy is still alive. This was a hunting accident, not an intended murder.

But, a rich white conservative powerful male gets caught mishandling a gun and people want to make a huge deal out of it. And for the record, no, I wouldn't care if this were Bill Clinton or Al Gore...I don't care what these people do on their own time as long as its not ****ing up the country.

Since the guy was not seriously hurt I can see the humor in it :laugh:

One note,from the reports I read the guy came up from behind into Cheney's field of fire...that is a big no-no. ;)

Since the guy was not seriously hurt I can see the humor in it :laugh:

One note,from the reports I read the guy came up from behind into Cheney's field of fire...that is a big no-no. ;)

Well if he came up from BEHIND...how did he not get his head blown off? that implies to me he was like RIGHT IN FRONT of the gun...dunno...not breaking down the Zapruder film here, just curious as to how it all went down.

So Cheney shot one of his friends, he can blast all of his friends in the face for all I care. What bothers me is that he got off with a warning for not having a certain hunting permit. Years ago, a buddy of mine got busted for not having the proper hunting permit and he lost his liscense for several years and also had to pay a several hundred dollar fine. Laws just don't apply to some.

Cheney had a permit, he just didn't have the stamp for quail hunting.

The only thing that bothers me is that the Secret Service refused to allow local authorities to talk to the V.P. on the evening of the accident. Instead they scheduled an interview for 8:00 AM the next morning. I wonder how the Secret Service has the right to refuse local authorities to question someone (even the V.P.)? This leads me to believe that Cheney may have been drinking and that they wanted to give him time to sober up before talking to the police.

In any case, using perogatives that the rest of us can't use will always cause suspicion, so why do it unless there is something to hide? How many regular citizens would love to have the opportunity to sober up or to get their story straight before talking to the police?

Utterly false, and disproven so many times on this board that it really has gotten old. Sales taxes, social security, medicare and so forth all get paid, even by the very bottom of the income bracket, and for them, it is a much higher percentage of their income than it is for the more wealthy.

Sure... they pay those taxes.... but so do the people who are also paying income taxes.... the majority of which go for federal benefit handouts and services to those who don't pay taxes. Through your left leaning hue did you notice I indicated INCOME earners... meaning I was most likely speaking of INCOME Taxes.

I don't care about the higher percentage of their income going to those taxes.... there is an easy fix for that. It's called earning more....making yourself more educated, trained, increasing your skillset, making yourself more valuable to your employer and earning more.

Any tax system that pushes the burden of paying INCOME taxes onto one specific group, in this case the top 1% of the population which pays 34% of the INCOME TAXES collected in this country, and the rationale is "because they can afford to" is both wrong and should be unconstitutional.

(CNN) -- The White House is defending its delay in disclosing Vice President Dick Cheney's weekend hunting accident, telling reporters Monday the focus was on making sure the man Cheney shot got medical attention.

Why would White House be responsible for disclosing hunting accidents? Why are they even acknowledging responsibility for "the delay," let alone defend it.

You can laugh all you want. That's your prerogative. I think it's a non-story that the media wants to make into something much bigger.

Uh, maybe you're not seeing the same story I'm seeing. The one I'm reading says that the Vice-President of the United States shot a man in the face with a shotgun.

That's a story with wheels, my friend.

(Countdown to Aaron Burr/Alexander Hamilton joke... three.... two... one...)

So let me get the jist of this thread;

1. This Cheney story is old, but it's okay to tell Clinton/Lewinsky jokes

2. Poor people good, rich people bad

3. Cheney illegally hunts his rich buddies without the proper permit while drinking

Does that sum it up?

So let me get the jist of this thread;

1. This Cheney story is old, but it's okay to tell Clinton/Lewinsky jokes

2. Poor people good, rich people bad

3. Cheney illegally hunts his rich buddies without the proper permit while drinking

Does that sum it up?

Yup. Plus Cheney was hallucinating when he told Georgie boy that there were WMD in Iraq. Georgie knows the truth now so he doesn't take Dickie's calls anymore. And he refuses to hunt with him.

Archived