Washington Football Team Logo
Extremeskins

Will the Raiders return to their dirty play that they were know for under Shell?

Inxsive

Art Shell did a pretty good job with the Raiders record wise when he coached before, but his team was know for being undisciplined and dirty. This dirty reputation is one they haven’t shaken even since he was fired. I'm curious as to what everyone thinks will happen. Has Shell matured and will run at least a semi controlled ship or will he have little control again and Oakland far out pace the rest of the league in penalties and cheap shots?

Art will give them some of the old Raider swagger. I'd love to see them become the dirty scrappy bunch of the Raiders of old.

Good smashmouth football is one thing but dirty is another. 99% of penalties you get caught on are going to hurt your team. He only won 2 playoff games(Sure he didn't coach Seattle?) I also think the referees are calling games tighter than when he last coached. If he hasn't changed some of his approach I don't think he will succeed. I'm all for power over success, we all see how that worked out in the Superbowl. However, I think you need to have a disciplined team to be success in the playoffs.

The Raiders were notorious for dirty play at least in penalties when Shell was a PLAYER. Noone remembers I guess that the Raiders had the rep of signing the troubled but talented players, and let them run amock on the league. Those teams made a lot of mistakes, but they seemed uncannily to feed off that and recover many times over. In any case I don't see how you can single out Shell for the reputation since they always had it before (excepting Shanahan's reign). Frankly the only thing I agree with is that when Shell left the Raiders that old Raiders rep died.

It will be interesting to see if he will try to recreate it if that's possible.

Archived